Album of the day (#820): In The Court Of The Crimson King

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 02/15/2013 17:28
  • Post subject:
hairymarx1 wrote:
No but I agree with virtually everything he says. So I guess I'm a Scaruffist. I loved most of the albums he rates long before I had heard his name. But having said that, there are many points of contention, for instance, his opinions on Chrome, Royal Trux, Morphine, and Vampire Rodents.

Surprised

For me it's Red House Painters, Third Ear Band, Bruce Springsteen, Limp Bizkit, maybe Black Tape for a Blue Girl and Jefferson Airplane. I don't disagree too much though, except in the case of Limp Bizkit.

Last edited by Facetious on 02/15/2013 17:43; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 02/15/2013 17:30
  • Post subject:
Almost everything Scaruffi recommends is good. There are some good bands he bashes a bit too much, but I'll usually listen (and like) to anything he's got on his lists.

Still, he's a pretentious jerk.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/15/2013 18:23
  • Post subject:
useless wrote:
Exceptional album. The only flaw I could accuse it of is the neverending length of Moonchild, which starts interestingly but gets extremely weird during its exhaustingly long instrumental part. Other than that, it's full of lyrics with tremendous poetic power, apocalyptic and moving at the same time, and both masterful and wonderfully unusual instrumentation. 21st Century Schizoid Man is ballsy as hell and still sounds as fresh and different as ever, The Court Of The Crimson King is an excellent closer, serving both as a synopsis of the album's tone and a mourning to humanity, but my absolutely favorite songs in here are the beautiful, introspective and cryptic I Talk To The Wind and Epitaph, the ultimate anthem of disillusion and disappointment everyone has felt some time in his/her life about the course of history.

This almost exactly sums up how I feel about the album. The only difference being that I'd replace "Epitaph" with "The Court of the Crimson King" for my favorite track along with "I Talk to the Wind".
purple

• Posted: 02/15/2013 18:27
  • Post subject:
Defago wrote:
Still, he's a pretentious jerk.

< You mean this guy?
< Look at this guy, how could he be a pretentious jerk?
< Look at that smile on his face as he's about to double dig into some double awesome ice cream.
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 02/16/2013 06:11
  • Post subject:
I think this album is more an "important" or "influential" album, rather than a truly "great" album. I mean, I fucking play the shit out of 21st Century Schizoid Man on a regular basis but find the rest of the album quite a step down from that track. Nothing but respect for the impact King Crimson has had on music, but ItCotCK hasn't aged very well. Still like the album, but don't love it. It's kinda how I think Goldfinger is more of an "important" Bond film than an "amazing" Bond film (though I'd also say I'd rank Goldfinger relative to the Bond series much higher than I'd rank ItCotCK relative to all the albums I've ever heard).
  • Visit poster's website
MrFrogger
Where am I

United States

• Posted: 02/16/2013 06:14
  • Post subject:
AgainstMeAgainstYou wrote:
I think this album is more an "important" or "influential" album, rather than a truly "great" album. I mean, I fucking play the shit out of 21st Century Schizoid Man on a regular basis but find the rest of the album quite a step down from that track. Nothing but respect for the impact King Crimson has had on music, but ItCotCK hasn't aged very well. Still like the album, but don't love it. It's kinda how I think Goldfinger is more of an "important" Bond film than an "amazing" Bond film (though I'd also say I'd rank Goldfinger relative to the Bond series much higher than I'd rank ItCotCK relative to all the albums I've ever heard).

Off Topic, but I just watched Goldfinger, it totally doesn't hold up, yet it has almost all the Bond cliches in it.
  • Visit poster's website
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 02/16/2013 06:19
  • Post subject:
MrFrogger wrote:
Off Topic, but I just watched Goldfinger, it totally doesn't hold up, yet it has almost all the Bond cliches in it.

It's in my top ten, but for Connery's Bond films I think Dr. No and FRWL (especially) are far better. Really flawed film, and the Fort Knox standoff was weak IMO, the whole part from where Bond is initially captured onwards totally kills Goldfinger's momentum.

Also, I've been watching all the Bond films in order again, and I was really, really impressed with OHMSS this time around. Even more so, I loved Lazenby's performance. In his own right, he did a fantastic job ("This department owes her a debt. She saved my life." was just amazing line delivery), and this is only compounded by the fact that he had never acted before in his life. An Australian model makes possibly the best Bond movie of them all. That's something.
  • Visit poster's website
Zapruder

Australia

• Posted: 02/16/2013 09:27
  • Post subject:
The ending of Moonchild is the best part of this album.
21st is a close second.
  • Visit poster's website