Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
paladisiac
= music

United States

• Posted: 02/27/2013 18:34
  • Post subject:
harkan wrote:
Thankyou for your insightful criticism of my chart. I will be glad to repay the favour.

it's a bigger "ouch" when you see:

For me, i give the chart an appropriate, if over-used "interesting". I'm not a fan of hecker (i think "ravedeath" was the last of his i tried), but i like what's going on in a chart reflective of the last 3 years.
  • Visit poster's website
junodog4
Future Grumpy Old Man

Canada

• Posted: 02/27/2013 18:35
  • Post subject:
The teacher told me to listen to Tim Hecker. I'd better do it.
Charicature

United States

• Posted: 02/27/2013 18:42
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
There's lots in the chart I like, a fair amount that I dislike and a fair amount that I don't know. I wouldn't want to you to change it because it's obviously a fair representation of your personal taste, but I find it a little depressing that there isn't space for one hip-hop record in the whole 100, especially given how great last year was for the genre.

Personally I only have one hip-hop album in my top 100 all-time, let alone any particular decade. Not a genre that I particularly care for, too limited musically with only a few rare exceptions from people that did something different with it, and different in a good way.

• Posted: 02/27/2013 20:18
  • Post subject:
Charicature wrote:
Personally I only have one hip-hop album in my top 100 all-time, let alone any particular decade. Not a genre that I particularly care for, too limited musically with only a few rare exceptions from people that did something different with it, and different in a good way.

It wasn't a criticism of the chart in any way, I just find it a little sad that hip-hop is still a genre that goes entirely ignored or disliked by some people. That's their choice, and I actually like Harkan's chart. I also have no problem with charts that contain no hip-hop whatsoever (if anything it makes more sense that an overall chart would be completely devoid of hip-hop given that the genre didn't produce worthwhile albums until the mid-1980s), but I just find it a little depressing. Though I prefer to see a chart such as this one over a chart that insincerely has a hip-hop album shoehorned in out of some sort of desire to appear more eclectic. I don't find it difficult to comprehend that Harkan has found 100 albums he prefers in the last three years to any hip-hop albums, it just saddens me a little.
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 02/28/2013 09:06
  • Post subject:
junodog4 wrote:
The teacher told me to listen to Tim Hecker. I'd better do it.

To be honest, a student is listening to space ambient and drone music at school because of me. He was listening to screamo beforehand.
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 02/28/2013 09:12
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
It wasn't a criticism of the chart in any way, I just find it a little sad that hip-hop is still a genre that goes entirely ignored or disliked by some people. That's their choice, and I actually like Harkan's chart. I also have no problem with charts that contain no hip-hop whatsoever (if anything it makes more sense that an overall chart would be completely devoid of hip-hop given that the genre didn't produce worthwhile albums until the mid-1980s), but I just find it a little depressing. Though I prefer to see a chart such as this one over a chart that insincerely has a hip-hop album shoehorned in out of some sort of desire to appear more eclectic. I don't find it difficult to comprehend that Harkan has found 100 albums he prefers in the last three years to any hip-hop albums, it just saddens me a little.

Thanks for the worthwhile read lethal. I appreciate comments like this compared to void, miniscule side-notes.

Hip-hop is still a genre I am finding my feet in. Skelethon by Aesop Rock is probably my favourite of 2010s. I tried to get into Death Grips, Kendrick Lamar, A$AP Rocky, Hilltop Hoods and Kanye West. I find that skits and interludes within hip-hop albums frustrate me and I guess as a teacher, swearing is not something I always want to hear (I hear it enough at work!)

If anyone has suggestions for hip-hop that I might like, let me know.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 02/28/2013 13:12
  • Post subject:
harkan wrote:
Thanks for the worthwhile read lethal. I appreciate comments like this compared to void, miniscule side-notes.

Hip-hop is still a genre I am finding my feet in. Skelethon by Aesop Rock is probably my favourite of 2010s. I tried to get into Death Grips, Kendrick Lamar, A$AP Rocky, Hilltop Hoods and Kanye West. I find that skits and interludes within hip-hop albums frustrate me and I guess as a teacher, swearing is not something I always want to hear (I hear it enough at work!)

If anyone has suggestions for hip-hop that I might like, let me know.

OFarrio recommended this yesterday in the hip-hop thread, which is like avant garde/harsh noise hip-hop. It's pretty cool, and may appeal to the Foetus fan in you. I always recommend Blu & Exile's Below The Heavens, which is laidback California hip-hop with great introspective lyrics about Blu finding his feet in the world (it's a 2007 release, thus not eligible for this particular chart, and you may have heard it, but I always like recommending it regardless). The 2012 sequel is a bit messier, a bit less catchy, but equally worthwhile (Give Me My Flowers While I Can Smell Them), and also Blu's album without Exile NOYORK!, which features experimental beats courtesy of the likes of FlyLo and Samiyam, which is obviously less accessible but really satisfying nonetheless. Jehst's The Dragon of an Ordinary Family is the best British hip-hop album I've ever heard, featuring interesting takes on the classic boom-bap form and some very astute lyrics. The accent may help, too. The same goes for Roots Manuva's 4everevolution, which is a very singular take on the genre. He's a limited lyricist, but he knows how to play to his strengths and he always picks beats from the leftfield. The Roots' Undun is an album I'm only now beginning to fully appreciate, a concept album with the story told backwards, and a great example of a 'less is more' philosophy with regards to production and the streamlining of an album. Other albums I think may appeal specifically to your tastes are El-P's Cancer 4 Cure, Lushlife's Plateau Vision, and Shabazz Palaces' Black Up. You might not find anything you like amonst all of these albums, but I think you have the best chance with those I've mentioned. If not though, fair enough. Some things just aren't for some people. I sincerely hope you do find something that piques your interest though.