Album of the day (#345): My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 03/01/2013 16:58
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
I basically thought all of that from the moment I first heard it up until about 8 or 9 months ago, when it finally clicked. I don't know what "it" is, so not sure I can help, but taken as a massive pop album then it certainly achieves its goal. I still prefer Late Registration and I'd put this on a par with The College Dropout (probably, although I always felt The College Dropout contains a fair amount of filler that isn't really there on MBDTF), but I do really enjoy this album. It's pompous and grandiose and insincere, which are all traits that usually turn me off more than any other, but the ambition and quality of the production - not to mention the fact that he pulled it off with aplomb - really set it apart from other hip-hop albums, even if it's not a sound I would usually readily appreciate and identify with. 'Power' and 'Monster' are just, erm, monster hip-hop songs, whilst 'All of the Lights' and 'Lost in the World' are both great pop songs. 'Devil in a New Dress' and 'Runaway' have the same vibe as a lot of the stuff from Graduation, but stand above virtually everything on that album. And 'Blame Game' is just stunning. For ages it was a record I just couldn't get into, perhaps because of my love of, and familiarity with, a hip-hop that works within specific parameters that, whilst wide, don't really need to be moved in my opinion. But in stretching those parameters, Kanye achieved something that has a singular vision and sound, which remains cohesive throughout despite such massive sonic variation. The lyrical themes of the album do nothing for me, even now, and I still think Kanye is a horribly clumsy rapper, but I wouldn't change this album for the world. The sheer depth and scope of the production is as impressive as anything I've ever heard within the confines of hip-hop, even if it isn't something that would normally appeal to me, and I find it startling that so much intelligent and thought-out production, with elements that could so have easily turned the whole album into a sprawling, difficult to decipher, arty mess, still produce such an accessible, bombastic pop vibe. It's the work of one of hip-hop's greatest producer's pushing the limits of both himself and the genre as far as they have ever been pushed, at least within the mainstream, and for that I applaud him. Even if it is still mad overrated.

Yeah I see what you mean,hopefully one day it will hit me and when it does I'll be the happiest man/boy in the world.I don't really think I've appreciated it's scope or ambition as much as I should have,but I find it difficult to do so considering all the grievances I have with it.Thanks for the response,maybe I'll listen to the album and not Kanye later(not sure that makes sense).
  • Visit poster's website
useless

• Posted: 03/01/2013 17:07
  • Post subject:
Well, I simply love it, one of my all-time faves. I can totally see why many people are being turned off by the lyrics and the way Yeezy tries to fit in his personality within the themes of the album but the ambiguity with which he achieves this, as well as the unbelievable amount of variety among the tracks (Blame Game is almost like an adult-contemporary affair filtered by West's personal vision, POWER has a dynamic hard-rock feeling to it, Devil In A New Dress always gave me an impression of nu-soul combined amazingly with the Robinson "Will You Love Me Tomorrow" sample, while Runaway, well, I completely fail at describing this one in particular, it really is to me a very unique track I can't compare or find similarities it shares with something else) the sophisticated sampling, the spectacular way he includes more than a dozen guest artists in order to represent parts of his ambitious concept, yet they all preserve their induvidual characteristics in terms of musicianship (most notably Scott-Heron, Minaj and Iver), the insightful view through a world empty of true emotions, conquered by lifestyle and irresponsiblity (myabe what's going on in his own mind?) and a number of other aspects as well make this to my ears a mature and assured masterpiece.