38%
 38%  [7]
Total Votes : 18

19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 03/10/2013 11:25
  • Post subject:
I actually agree with the gist of what Naples is trying to say. A film will always offer merely an "illusion of reality", even when based on true events, and that's why you should never view it as something that is trying to tell you an "objective" truth. Their purpose IS to entertain (in one way or another), MORE than it is to educate (obviously, depends on the film).

Does anyone complain about historical inaccuracies in Tarantino's movies? Of course not, they're so OTT, it's where the "point" lies even. Then you have a myriad of examples, where the movie doesn't portray something (location, area of expertise, whatever...) correctly. Note, when you watch a movie or a TV show which relates to something you know a lot about - even minor inaccuracies will bother you a whole lot. For example, I saw complaints on IMDb about Zero Dark Thirty and how it portrayed Pakistan (and you know that inaccurate depiction of foreign countries is nothing new). Then, I wonder how actual doctors view all those medical shows on TV. And I don't even want to know what forensics and actual detectives think of shows like CSI or NCIS. As for me, I personally get irritated most of the time there is talk about chess in movies.

But still.. That's what artistic license means. They're taking something as the base for the story, then build on that to make a product they want - now what is it they want to make, it's their choice, but in many cases, the end product will end up being far out from reality. But as I said, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's always gonna be an "illusion of reality".

Having said all of that, it doesn't mean that Argo (and other similar movies) should be immune to criticism. Because, I agree with what people have said, if there are obvious "inaccuracies", there should be some sort of justification for them (some point to it). Naples argues, that the point is to make it more entertaining. Is the movie really more entertaining because they "neglected" to mention some important details? Did diminshing a role of Canadian diplomats really bring something extra to it? Now I personally don't (100%) agree with tekin's theory on why they decided to do it, although it's a valid interpretation and a totally understandable reason to dislike the film. But I think it's more that they simply wanted to glorify the "escape idea" + the Hollywood's role in all of this, and this is where all those problems with historical accuracy came from. They had to make the situation those people were in seem as dangerous, and the escape idea as implausible as possible. You can argue how one-dimensionally the Iranians are portrayed, but quite frankly I think it's (to borrow a line from Archer) "merely incompetence" from writers' end. After all, is there anything interesting you could say about ANY character here? Those american diplomats - what do we really learn about them?

I have to say, I actually still enjoyed Argo a lot, maybe because I can go past the bullshit and don't see it as anything more than a product that is meant to entertain. What bothered me the most was actually the kind of minor stuff, like all of "last second" escapes, fake tension (e.g. the airway chase scene) - which again didn't bother me because it would be historically inaccurate, but quite simply because it was done in the manner of all those average and overly clichéd action flicks.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 03/10/2013 12:46
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
A few of the awards won by Argo:
    AFI Awards, USA-Movie of the Year
    Academy Awards, USA-Best Motion Picture of the Year
    BAFTA Awards-Best Film
    Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards-Best Picture
    Cinema Writers Circle Awards, Spain-Best Foreign Film (Mejor Película Extranjera)
    Florida Film Critics Circle Awards-Best Film
    Golden Globes, USA-Best Motion Picture – Drama
    Irish Film and Television Awards-Best International Film
    National Board of Review, USA-Top Films
    Online Film Critics Society Awards-Best Picture
    Phoenix Film Critics Society Awards-Best Picture
    San Diego Film Critics Society Awards-Best Film
    Southeastern Film Critics Association Awards-Best Picture

A few of the awards won by Fahrenheit 9/11:
    ASCAP Film and Television Music Awards-Top Box Office Films
    Broadcast Film Critics Association Awards-Top Box Office Films
    Cannes Film Festival-FIPRESCI Prize
    Cannes Film Festival-Palme d'Or
    Chicago Film Critics Association Awards-CFCA Award:Best Documentary
    Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association Awards-DFWFCA Award:Best Documentary
    Florida Film Critics Circle Awards-FFCC Award:Best Documentary
    Hollywood Film Festival-Hollywood Movie of the Year
    International Documentary Association-IDA Award
    Kansas City Film Critics Circle Awards-KCFCC Award:Best Documentary
    Las Vegas Film Critics Society Awards-Sierra Award:Best Documentary
    National Board of Review, USA-Freedom of Expression Award
    New York Film Critics Circle Awards-NYFCC Award:Best Non-Fiction Film
    Online Film Critics Society Awards-OFCS Award:Best Documentary
    People's Choice Awards, USA-People's Choice Award:Favorite Motion Picture
    Phoenix Film Critics Society Awards-PFCS Award:Best Documentary Film
    San Francisco Film Critics Circle-SFFCC Award:Best Documentary Film
    Sarajevo Film Festival-Audience Award
    Southeastern Film Critics Association Awards-SEFCA Award:Best Documentary Film
    Vancouver Film Critics Circle-VFCC Award:Best Documentary
    It is also included in the Top 10 Movies of the 2000's by Time magazine.

AND

Fahrenheit 9/11:
    Budget=$6 million
    Box Office=$222,446,882

Argo:
    Budget=$44.5 million
    Box Office=$218,472,558

So Naples Fahrenheit 9/11 must be one of your absolute favourites and certainly you like it more than Argo.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 03/10/2013 13:15
  • Post subject:
I don't
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 03/10/2013 13:27
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
I actually agree with the gist of what Naples is trying to say. A film will always offer merely an "illusion of reality", even when based on true events, and that's why you should never view it as something that is trying to tell you an "objective" truth. Their purpose IS to entertain (in one way or another), MORE than it is to educate (obviously, depends on the film).

Does anyone complain about historical inaccuracies in Tarantino's movies? Of course not, they're so OTT, it's where the "point" lies even. Then you have a myriad of examples, where the movie doesn't portray something (location, area of expertise, whatever...) correctly. Note, when you watch a movie or a TV show which relates to something you know a lot about - even minor inaccuracies will bother you a whole lot. For example, I saw complaints on IMDb about Zero Dark Thirty and how it portrayed Pakistan (and you know that inaccurate depiction of foreign countries is nothing new). Then, I wonder how actual doctors view all those medical shows on TV. And I don't even want to know what forensics and actual detectives think of shows like CSI or NCIS. As for me, I personally get irritated most of the time there is talk about chess in movies.

But still.. That's what artistic license means. They're taking something as the base for the story, then build on that to make a product they want - now what is it they want to make, it's their choice, but in many cases, the end product will end up being far out from reality. But as I said, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's always gonna be an "illusion of reality".

Having said all of that, it doesn't mean that Argo (and other similar movies) should be immune to criticism. Because, I agree with what people have said, if there are obvious "inaccuracies", there should be some sort of justification for them (some point to it). Naples argues, that the point is to make it more entertaining. Is the movie really more entertaining because they "neglected" to mention some important details? Did diminshing a role of Canadian diplomats really bring something extra to it? Now I personally don't (100%) agree with tekin's theory on why they decided to do it, although it's a valid interpretation and a totally understandable reason to dislike the film. But I think it's more that they simply wanted to glorify the "escape idea" + the Hollywood's role in all of this, and this is where all those problems with historical accuracy came from. They had to make the situation those people were in seem as dangerous, and the escape idea as implausible as possible. You can argue how one-dimensionally the Iranians are portrayed, but quite frankly I think it's (to borrow a line from Archer) "merely incompetence" from writers' end. After all, is there anything interesting you could say about ANY character here? Those american diplomats - what do we really learn about them?

I have to say, I actually still enjoyed Argo a lot, maybe because I can go past the bullshit and don't see it as anything more than a product that is meant to entertain. What bothered me the most was actually the kind of minor stuff, like all of "last second" escapes, fake tension (e.g. the airway chase scene) - which again didn't bother me because it would be historically inaccurate, but quite simply because it was done in the manner of all those average and overly clichéd action flicks.

Great post
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 03/10/2013 13:53
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
Great post

If you think that's a great post it suggests that you don't have sufficient mental faculties to present your own ideas because in that post we have:
19loveless91 wrote:
I agree with what people have said, if there are obvious "inaccuracies", there should be some sort of justification for them (some point to it). Naples argues, that the point is to make it more entertaining. Is the movie really more entertaining because they "neglected" to mention some important details? Did diminshing a role of Canadian diplomats really bring something extra to it?

And there is something called Skopos Theory which in a simplified form tries to say that you should evaluate a text based on it's purpose or function. Suggesting that movies are made just to entertain (esp. in its hollywoodian scale and moreover when CIA is involved) is just pure credulity. We can assume entertaining nature of a movie if it doesn't imply otherwise itself. And if distortion of facts in a movie helps to develop its plot or showing that part of reality isn't possible in the film format or the director or writer doesn't seem to try or to be committed to retell a historical story then I have no problem with that. The problem is that none of these conditions are satisfied either implicitly or explicitly in that movie.
RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 03/10/2013 13:58
  • Post subject:
^Poor post
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 03/10/2013 14:36
  • Post subject:
Very Happy
useless

• Posted: 03/10/2013 22:45
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
^Poor post

You have no arguments at all. You were owned RFNaples, just accept it and live with it. Smile
Moved: 02/06/2017 10:49 by albummaster
From Lounge to Movies & TV