Father's day gift ideas

View previous topic :: View next topic
likedylan88

United States

• Posted: 06/16/2010 07:01
  • Post subject: Father's day gift ideas
As most of you already know, this coming Sunday is Father's Day, which means one thing. I procrastinated big time on a gift. The old man has quite a cd collection, so I'm thinking the gift of music might be the way to go this year. I would like to get him something that he doesn't already know, but would mesh with his tastes.

A bit about his tastes now. His favorite band is Genesis. He likes a lot of 60s and 70s rock, including artists like the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, the Who, Frank Zappa, Bob Dylan and Jethro Tull. He also some more modern rock, like Radiohead (he has The Bends and Kid A), Weezer, early Green Day, etc. He is relatively open to new music, but rap seems to be a pretty much no no for him.

Here are some ideas I thought of lately.

Sigur Ros - he is half Icelandic, and likes some Icelandic music, and has heard of but has not heard SR.
Fleet Foxes - many people say the sound is a bit of a throwback, and I think it might have some stuff he likes.
My Morning Jacket - Who doesn't like this?

I am very open to suggestions, so fire away. Or should I just can the whole idea and buy him a World's Greatest Dad mug at the Pottery Barn? Lemme know.
  • Visit poster's website
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 06/16/2010 07:13
  • Post subject:
Those sound like three good ideas. Reckon he'd be into Arcade Fire?
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 06/16/2010 07:23
  • Post subject:
he is half Icelandic + he has good tastes in music + he likes some modern stuff + he likes Kid A = Bjork (Vespertine or Homogenic), but i'm sure he already got one of them.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
likedylan88

United States

• Posted: 06/17/2010 21:20
  • Post subject:
Thanks for the replies. I didn't even think of Arcade Fire, since I have not listened to either of their albums enough to formulate a solid opinion, but seeing as they are so popular I might try that. Also cartoken, thanks for the Bjork suggestion, I believe he already has both of those. My grandma's relative (from Iceland) is actually dating Bjork's son haha. Small world.
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 06/17/2010 21:39
  • Post subject:
likedylan88 wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I didn't even think of Arcade Fire, since I have not listened to either of their albums enough to formulate a solid opinion, but seeing as they are so popular I might try that. Also cartoken, thanks for the Bjork suggestion, I believe he already has both of those. My grandma's relative (from Iceland) is actually dating Bjork's son haha. Small world.

great for him (your grandma's relative), her son must have at least good taste in music !! i think arcade fire is a very good choice or maybe Elephant/white stripes since he likes Led Zeppelin/Bob Dylan.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website