Album of the day (#890): American Idiot by Green Day

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 04/25/2013 18:02
  • Post subject:
ProfessorSquid wrote:
Let's just say that none of them are very good. I tend to think that if a current concept album is of the same quality as an older concept that the older concept album gets the benefit of the doubt. I say this because current bands should be smart enough to recognize what nonsense previous concepts albums were. It's not an idea that should one should try to improve upon, it's an idea that should be abandoned.

I actually agree for the most part. I think this album works better than most concept albums, however, because the storytelling isn't nearly as literal as on the ones by The Who. Regardless of the quality of the music, this album at least deserves credit for not beating its premise to death the same way The Who did.
ProfessorSquid

United States

• Posted: 04/25/2013 18:04
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Woah there, good kid, m.A.A.d city was amazing.

Yeah you're right about that. Sometimes I get carried away in my hatred for the concept album. I would say that's more of a loose concept album. And one where it's good music that happens to have a central theme rather than a stupid story that happens to have musical accompaniment.
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 04/25/2013 18:59
  • Post subject:
There's nothing wrong with concept albums by themselves. The problem's when people want to do a story and the music has to accommodate a story, in which case it sounds forced; or when people have the music done and throw in whatever concept or story just to make it a concept album, which ends up as something stupid.

A few concept albums manage to balance both aspects, though, making for great music with a great concept, neither of which sounds imposed on the other. GKMC, Phil Elvrum's stuff, ITAOTS, among others, are damn good concept albums.

Rock operas are shit though.
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 04/25/2013 19:10
  • Post subject:
One of the first albums I've ever heard.

I remember it being alright, but I haven't heard it in about three years.

I'm gonna bite the bullet and listen to it now.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 04/25/2013 20:09
  • Post subject:
It was alright.
pearljammer13
Young Pilgrim

United States

• Posted: 04/25/2013 21:59
  • Post subject:
ProfessorSquid wrote:
Let's just say that none of them are very good. I tend to think that if a current concept album is of the same quality as an older concept that the older concept album gets the benefit of the doubt. I say this because current bands should be smart enough to recognize what nonsense previous concepts albums were. It's not an idea that should one should try to improve upon, it's an idea that should be abandoned.

I think saying the concept album should be abandoned is going a bit overboard. Sure it's tough to pull off, but when done right it's a beautiful thing. Hospice by The Antlers springs to mind.
  • Visit poster's website
thekingofash

• Posted: 05/11/2013 16:58
  • Post subject:
ProfessorSquid wrote:

I don't know: is trying to tell a story really such a bad thing? Sure there have been some ridiculous ones (I somewhat like The Mars Volta but their albums come to mind), but I just don't see why having a running theme is a bad idea, unless the artist focuses more on their story rather then their music.
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 05/11/2013 18:44
  • Post subject:
thekingofash wrote:
I don't know: is trying to tell a story really such a bad thing? Sure there have been some ridiculous ones (I somewhat like The Mars Volta but their albums come to mind), but I just don't see why having a running theme is a bad idea, unless the artist focuses more on their story rather then their music.

Yes.

There's a time and a place for 3 chord punk, but trying to tell a story isn't that time. Especially when the story itself is uninspired. I think this album would be a lot better if it left all it's pretenses at the door.