Search Tab

View previous topic :: View next topic
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 05/23/2013 22:52
  • Post subject: Search Tab
The search tab works well...except for cases when you have to look for a band that has any kind of puctuation in it. Particularly, Crosby, Stiil & Nash or Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. Every time I go to look this band up, I have to figure out how to get it to pull up. Is there a way to make the search function for these cases a little easier?

Also, when pulling up (for example) James Taylor, I get 21 results, with James Taylor being 10th on the list...or one away from being on page 2. Shouldn't the exact band name that you type in come up first?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 05/24/2013 01:45
  • Post subject:
I've tried all of your examples and got the band desired as the first result on each one... I'm not sure what's going on, but you might try putting quotation marks around your search (and sometimes 'and' might be shortened to '&').
revolver94
professional dilettante

United States

• Posted: 05/24/2013 02:57
  • Post subject:
in the drop down menu next to the search bar, change it from any word to either all words or exact phrase

Last.fm
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 05/24/2013 06:54
  • Post subject: Re: Search Tab
Romanelli wrote:
The search tab works well...except for cases when you have to look for a band that has any kind of puctuation in it. Particularly, Crosby, Stiil & Nash or Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. Every time I go to look this band up, I have to figure out how to get it to pull up. Is there a way to make the search function for these cases a little easier?

Also, when pulling up (for example) James Taylor, I get 21 results, with James Taylor being 10th on the list...or one away from being on page 2. Shouldn't the exact band name that you type in come up first?

The search page seems to have a problem bringing up the right results where a comma exists in the artist name. I think ampersands and other punctuation are dealt with ok. So, a search for "crosby stills nash" does not work, but a search for "crosby, stills nash" (with a comma) would work ok. The problem is that commas should be silently ignored when matching individual words, but this is not happening at the moment. I'll look at getting this fixed in the current round of changes.

The second problem is that search results are not currently sorted by 'relevance', but instead seem to be alphabetical. I'll look at getting this fixed too.
  • Visit poster's website