Album of the day (#941): Close To The Edge by Yes

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
hairymarx1

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/16/2013 16:11
  • Post subject:
For me, I see a lot of connections between this and Caravan's early albums. It's sometimes easy to overlook just how significant the Canterbury scene was to the development of prog-rock in general. Yes were one of those bands where the ideas became a little too convoluted for my taste. Punk and the new wave were it's antidote. I like this album but it did represent prog-rock's nadir exemplified by over-indulgence.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 06/16/2013 16:59
  • Post subject:
CellarDoor wrote:
As surprising as it may seem, I actually had this album in my overall top 50 when I first joined BEA. In the Court of the Crimson King was also featured and both got a lot of play when my brother was around. They somehow draw you into magical worlds of poetic strangeness and weird instrumental choruses. Siberian Khatru especially was a great choice jam for waking up in the morning.

It seems long ago now, but I can kind of see how my taste evolved into post-rock and ambient from these favorites.

Interesting point.

• Posted: 06/17/2013 08:57
  • Post subject:
I never understood how someone could prefer Fragile to this. If every song on Fragile had been on par with "Roundabout", then yeah, it would blow this out of the water, but the interludes really kill it for me.

Anyway, this is a prog masterpiece of an album that I'm embarrassed to say I haven't listened to in several months. The title track is stunning, obvs, but "Siberian Khatru" really deserves more love, in my opinion. Overall, this album is 3 extraordinarily accomplished tracks. It's hard to go wrong with it.
Evandar

• Posted: 06/18/2013 21:02
  • Post subject:
The album is as close to perfection as any band can get. The title track might be the best track, but "And You And I" is sublime, and the last song isn't far behind. Yes' best album, prog rock's best album, MAYBE the best album ever. <3
  • Visit poster's website
Evandar

• Posted: 06/18/2013 21:05
  • Post subject:
hairymarx1 wrote:
For me, I see a lot of connections between this and Caravan's early albums. It's sometimes easy to overlook just how significant the Canterbury scene was to the development of prog-rock in general. Yes were one of those bands where the ideas became a little too convoluted for my taste. Punk and the new wave were it's antidote. I like this album but it did represent prog-rock's nadir exemplified by over-indulgence.

I don't see any over-indulgence here. While it can take a while to get into the album, it really has no excess fat, it's just one brilliant moment after another, and after enough listens it turns out to be ridiculously catchy as well! I think the over-indulgence started with Tales From Topographic Oceans, which I was never able to get into.
  • Visit poster's website