comment threads

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 06/29/2013 18:19
  • Post subject:
The problem with imgur is I think they have a character limit (although I've never commented there), so there aren't any in depth discussions there.

So IMO something similar to imgur style but no character limit.

Oh, and it's also a hassle to keep clicking "show reply". Maybe have the default setting to hide replies, but be able to change that in the personal settings to automatically show replies.
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 06/29/2013 18:30
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
reddit is messy, though there are sites where it works rather well. I think if we were to do something like that, the default option needs to be to only show "regular" comments, and then for every comment you would have option of showing replies (similar to imgur style)

I agree with this. I think Imgur works very well.

The Poe wrote:
The problem with imgur is I think they have a character limit (although I've never commented there), so there aren't any in depth discussions there.

So IMO something similar to imgur style but no character limit.

Agreed. BEA has no character limit for comments, right?

The Poe wrote:
Oh, and it's also a hassle to keep clicking "show reply". Maybe have the default setting to hide replies, but be able to change that in the personal settings to automatically show replies.

I don't think it would be a hassle, since it allows the reader to choose which comment thread they'd like to read, and which threads they don't. However, I think being able to change the feature via personal settings is a very good idea.

Also (just to clarify), this would only be for comments (on charts, albums, bands, songs), NOT in the forums, right? I've seen forums where they do that (not talking about reddit, talking about a smaller site similar in size and scope to this) and it looks rather messy.

Last edited by EyeKanFly on 06/30/2013 14:03; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 06/29/2013 18:33
  • Post subject:
EyeKanFly wrote:
Also (just to clarify), this would only be for comments (on charts, albums, bands, songs), NOT in the forums, right?

Yea, that's what I had in mind.
Wombi

• Posted: 06/29/2013 18:43
  • Post subject:
The Poe wrote:
Yea, that's what I had in mind.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh. Well that does change things. That could be a really effective idea. I'm probably for this then.

• Posted: 06/29/2013 19:03
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh. Well that does change things. That could be a really effective idea. I'm probably for this then.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/29/2013 19:43
  • Post subject:
The Poe wrote:
The ability to reply to specific comments rather than everything be in a straight line. Ever used a site like Reddit? Imgur?

A single comment can branch into a full discussion, and sometimes it doesn't lead to something that directly relates to the album or chart but it can still be interesting. If implemented right it can make discussions easier and neater, rather than having said discussion take place on top of other comments unrelated to it and such.

Either have comment threads be in a diagonal path like in Reddit, or have the ability to "show reply" like Imgur. I think Reddit is easier but Imgur looks neater.

I've never used Imgur, but threaded comments would be a nice addition. Not sure why it hasn't been done/mentioned sooner. I'll definitely add this to the list.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 06/29/2013 21:06
  • Post subject:
Awesome. Love it. Smile
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 06/30/2013 14:00
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
I've never used Imgur, but threaded comments would be a nice addition. Not sure why it hasn't been done/mentioned sooner. I'll definitely add this to the list.

Cool!