Album of the day (#955): Highway 61 Revisited by Bob Dylan

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
SamuelPear

France

• Posted: 06/30/2013 13:54
  • Post subject:
Always had something for Queen Jane Approximately, I love the intro.

Norman Bates wrote:
SamuelPear a le swag
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 06/30/2013 15:33
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Some notes about one of my favourite albums of all-time:

- The keys in 'Queen Jane Approximately' are fucking dope. Like really dope. That little intro bit with them plonking away over those slightly out-of-tune guitar chords makes me smile every time.
    - Actually, the organs throughout make this album. More so even than the lyrics.
    - The production here is surprisingly raw. People talk (rightly) about the VU's impact in terms of rough around the edges music, but Highway 61 isn't what you would call polished at all. Maybe it gets forgotten because of how good the lyrics are. Who knows.
    - Despite what I said about 'Like A Rolling Stone', it might well be the best song ever written.
    - This might well be the best album ever made.

Yes yes to all of this. And despite the production being raw, it is still completely fantastic. The only thing I would change about what you said is that this might well be the best album ever written. Though this is also one of my all-time favorite albums, I love good production, and that is the ONLY problem with this album (and a fairly minor one too). Even Dylan's voice (which sometimes bothers me on some of his other albums) is near perfect here, and goes with the music fantastically.

This is one of my favorite albums.
hairymarx1

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/01/2013 19:44
  • Post subject:
Mr.Music wrote:
A true epic from start to finish. My personal favorite from Bob Dylan.

I agree. This is Dylan's tour de force. Both musically and culturally, this is a truelly seminal and landmark album in so many ways.
  • Visit poster's website
Evandar

• Posted: 07/01/2013 19:59
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
Some notes about one of my favourite albums of all-time:

- The keys in 'Queen Jane Approximately' are fucking dope. Like really dope. That little intro bit with them plonking away over those slightly out-of-tune guitar chords makes me smile every time.
    - Actually, the organs throughout make this album. More so even than the lyrics.
    - 'Ballad of a Thin Man' says everything I could ever possibly want to say about scumbag journalists and more. I also think that the polari interpretation of it is hilarious.
    - The production here is surprisingly raw. People talk (rightly) about the VU's impact in terms of rough around the edges music, but Highway 61 isn't what you would call polished at all. Maybe it gets forgotten because of how good the lyrics are. Who knows.
    - I've heard 'Like A Rolling Stone' so many times that I skip it every time now. Also, if Dylan never plays it live again I will be mad thankful. Considering I'm going to see him like nine times later this year, I would love it if he dropped 'Rolling Stone' from the setlist. Won't happen though.
    - Of the four straight ahead blues numbers, 'From A Buick 6' > 'It Takes A Lot To Laugh' > 'Tom Thumb's Blues' > 'Tombstone Blues'. That'll probably change tomorrow though.
    - Actually, 'Highway 61' itself is a blues number. It's more memorable than those four though. There are quite a few songs where Dylan just lists a bunch of surreal ragtag characters, but this is the definitive one...
    - ...except for 'Desolation Row' obviously. Also, "Cinderella she seems so easy, takes one to know one she smiles, and puts her hands in her back pockets Bette Davis style" might be my favourite line on the whole album.
    - Despite what I said about 'Like A Rolling Stone', it might well be the best song ever written.
    - This might well be the best album ever made.

Good post! I roughly agree with everything here. I especially want to say I also love that "Bette Davis"-lyric. Smile

It's never quite been my favourite Dylan album, though. Maybe it's at number 5 or 6, but of course that means it's still excellent. I've never felt the production is anywhere near raw, in fact it is quite well produced, but it is a bit off-the-cuff here and there, no doubt. But raw or not, I prefer the production jobs on almost any other 60s Dylan album, except for the debut and Nashville Skyline.

Anyway, Dylan is my demigod, and may it ever be that way. Smile
  • Visit poster's website