Album of the day (#961): Nevermind by Nirvana

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
Happymeal

• Posted: 07/08/2013 03:41
  • Post subject:
Le_Samurai wrote:
Influential? Not really.

To be fair, it assisted greatly in the creation post - grunge. There's quite a few albums that fit into that genre that I enjoy.
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 07/08/2013 05:19
  • Post subject:
Le_Samurai wrote:
I used to hate this album, but i've come to enjoy it. It's not really original, but it's a great compilation of the many strands of punk and college rock from the 80's. I would use this album as an intro for someone who is interested in learning more about the alt rock of the 80's.

Besides all that, it's also just an enjoyable album to listen to. It's both pop and punk at the same time, but doesn't veer to far in either direction where it could alienate someone who prefers one over the other. It more than deserves the success it had. Overate? Yes. Influential? Not really. But neither of those things really matter when you find an album that is just so enjoyable to listen to and this album is.

That is ridiculous! Truly. How can you be serious to claim Nevermind isn't really influential? Innovative? Original? Maybe not. But influential? Fuck yes!

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 07/09/2013 00:54
  • Post subject:
Nervermind has a lot going for it, but for me I've always connected more with Bleach for Nirvana which was essentially just a cloned sound of what The Jesus Lizard was doing at the time. That said I feel Bleach has a lot more rawness and visceral emotion and to me represents what grunge was more about then what Nevermind did on record.

As for Nevermind being influential? Ask Cold, Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd, Three Days Grace, Creed, Hinder, and any other post-grunge band if Nevermind inspired them to make what they make. You'll likely get an answer akin to "duh".
  • Visit poster's website
Le_Samurai

• Posted: 07/09/2013 01:52
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Nervermind has a lot going for it, but for me I've always connected more with Bleach for Nirvana which was essentially just a cloned sound of what The Jesus Lizard was doing at the time. That said I feel Bleach has a lot more rawness and visceral emotion and to me represents what grunge was more about then what Nevermind did on record.

As for Nevermind being influential? Ask Cold, Nickelback, Puddle of Mudd, Three Days Grace, Creed, Hinder, and any other post-grunge band if Nevermind inspired them to make what they make. You'll likely get an answakin to "duh".

I find this argument compelling, but it really comes back to something that is important to realize about Nirvana: they weren't a grunge band (at least in my opinion). They sounded nothing like Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, or any of the major orginial grunge bands. Those bands had an important role in turning rock radio back to a more classic sound. Nirvana sounded nothing like those bands because their influences were far different. Nirvana was inspired by alt rock and punk, while those other bands were more inspired by a more traditional classic rock. Those bands listed as post-grunge also share a sound far more similar to Alice in Chains and Pearl jam as well. Nirvana was influential in that it was the first major exposure to the masses to a scene. Musically, they weren't.

Bottom line, I think whether you think Nirvana is influential depends on whether you view them as a grunge band or not.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 07/09/2013 02:01
  • Post subject:
But Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden didn't have a whole lot to do with the grunge movement at the height of their careers either. The fact is all four of the "big four" did have similar roots though their musical influences only barely overlapped. Alice in Chains started out as a second-rate hair metal band called Alice N' Chains, which is where a lot of their edgier more metal-inspired guitar bits came from in their later career. Soundgarden's debut was rooted in grunge's punk rock attitude with distorted, grimey guitars but they later opted out to evolve into a band with desert/stoner rock influences. Pearl Jam was always the least grunge out of the entire four with little in common with bands like Green River, the Melvins, etc. I still say Pearl Jam was THE band to kickstart post-grunge as their sound isn't a far cry from bands like Stone Temple Pilots, Bush, Creed, and early Silverchair.

Nirvana associated with grunge musicians, was hugely inspired by the punk movement that grunge springboarded off of, and played grunge music (on Bleach, some songs on Nevermind, and on earlier demos). You cannot objectively say they weren't a grunge band or seen as a grunge band-- because historically in their scene and critically... they were.

Listen to Nirvana's "Blew" and play it with definitive grunge songs like "Grinding Process" by the Melvins, Green River's "Unwind", and Coffin Break's "Stupid Love Song" and you'll see the truth.
  • Visit poster's website