Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 07/11/2013 07:14
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Film actors in the 30's and 40's sucked. Yeah, that's right, I said it. I think Keanu Reeves is a better actor than Humphrey Bogart, by far - and the same goes for any of the actors in this film. Just... bland acting, lacking any of the subtleties or flavour that actors since then have brought to screen. It's like this lot was culled straight out of the nearest community theater - and, of course, this is half true; most of the "good" actors during this early period were first and foremost stage actors who didn't regard film as a serious medium.

This is the one problem I have with the entire post criticizing Citizen Kane, I can understand perceiving the pacing and writing differently but this is something I just cannot even understand nor perceive. Classic-period film actors had a traditionalist approach with a lot of subtle movements and charm. The character actors of the era were the only ones who breached away from that but even then not much. But calling Reeves better than Humphrey Bogart and his long career is just wrong to say. It is subjective, but no I won't get behind this. Orson Welles and Joseph Cotten were phenomenal at their craft and if you just throw away that by insulting and disrespecting their skills and careers....

Just no. No.

I love films (music and in general art) from every era but I won't insult classics that built bridges and defined film technique. It's bad to do that.
  • Visit poster's website
davidhuret

France

• Posted: 07/11/2013 08:14
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
Quote:
Film actors in the 30's and 40's sucked. Yeah, that's right, I said it. I think Keanu Reeves is a better actor than Humphrey Bogart, by far - and the same goes for any of the actors in this film. Just... bland acting, lacking any of the subtleties or flavour that actors since then have brought to screen. It's like this lot was culled straight out of the nearest community theater - and, of course, this is half true; most of the "good" actors during this early period were first and foremost stage actors who didn't regard film as a serious medium.

This is the one problem I have with the entire post criticizing Citizen Kane, I can understand perceiving the pacing and writing differently but this is something I just cannot even understand nor perceive. Classic-period film actors had a traditionalist approach with a lot of subtle movements and charm. The character actors of the era were the only ones who breached away from that but even then not much. But calling Reeves better than Humphrey Bogart and his long career is just wrong to say. It is subjective, but no I won't get behind this. Orson Welles and Joseph Cotten were phenomenal at their craft and if you just throw away that by insulting and disrespecting their skills and careers....

Just no. No.

I love films (music and in general art) from every era but I won't insult classics that built bridges and defined film technique. It's bad to do that.

I couldn't agree more. A little dose of contextualization and the masterpieces of the past can become very much alive again.
"Pet sounds" is a work of wonder, and so is "Citizen Kane"- and most of Chaplin's movies, but I'm getting way off-topic here.
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 07/11/2013 09:45
  • Post subject:
Pet Sounds is great (I agree with PoddleBites' comments though to a somewhat lesser extent) and so is Citizen Kane.

Off-topic but here's my thoughts on Citizen Kane: Citizen Kane is overrated (only slightly though) but sometimes I think like I can just about see where the people who claim it's the best movie ever are coming from. The story is great, the acting just about well-done (Welles is great as the main character) and the film never bores, but besides that IMO the visuals, and more specifically the atmosphere they convey, make the film so great. Its mysterious, curiously detached feel draws one into Kane's story. The visuals give a sense of "depth", and the atmosphere is almost always somewhat doom-laden (?), though fortunately the film makes that work in its favour and that doesn't make the film any less enjoyable at all for me. In short, it's grand, larger-than-life yet simple. I don't think I'm that good at reviews and probably didn't do the film justice there but whatever.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Trickington

United States

• Posted: 07/18/2013 16:15
  • Post subject:
I didn't like everything on Pet Sounds when I heard it the first time. After a while it started to grow on me and I really like it now.

Yeah it's got some crazy instrumentation which was definitely influential.
  • Visit poster's website
GeevyDallas
WATTBA

• Posted: 07/18/2013 16:29
  • Post subject:
Poor man's King of the Beach tbh
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/18/2013 18:58
  • Post subject:

Link
tbakeman

United States

• Posted: 07/21/2013 04:38
  • Post subject:
Quote:
The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967
Nick Drake, Pink Moon, 1972
David Bowie, Hunky Dory, 1971
XTC, Skylarking, 1986
Jellyfish, Spilt Milk, 1993
Weezer, Pinkerton, 1996
Olivia Tremor Control, Dusk at Cubist Castle, 1996
The dB's, Repercussion, 1997
Elliot Smith, XO, 1998
R.E.M., Up, 1998
Wilco, Summerteeth, 1999
Beulah, The Coast Is Never Clear, 2001
Starflyer 59, Leave Here a Stranger, 2001
The Flaming Lips, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, 2002
Jack's Mannequin, Everything In Transit, 2005
Okkervil River, The Stage Names, 2007
Bruce Springsteen, Magic, 2007
Fleet Foxes, Fleet Foxes, 2008
Grizzly Bear, Veckatimest (2009)
Animal Collective, Meriweather Post Pavilion, 2009

I absolutely love this list. God Only Knows what I'd do without Pet Sounds.
  • Visit poster's website