This site is awesome but....

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 06/25/2010 04:39
  • Post subject:
gptp20 wrote:
However for once I would love to see a list that doesn't include 3-4 Beatles albums in the top 10. They undoubtedly had a profound impact but... there are so many other classics from other styles

Albumaster said in another thread: "I think a better answer to the chart-size issue is to allow people to create multiple (and different types of) charts so they can pigeon hole their albums into e.g. a decade chart, a genre chart, a year chart etc. This would be a better idea than having an extra long chart which gets a bit wishy-washy or disjointed towards the end because people want to do lots of things wthin the same chart.

Basically, the next set of major features that will be developed can be summarised as: genre charts, moderation system, multiple charts per user. This will increase the user engagement (alluded to by Freddie55) and give people more to do here on BEA.

As mentioned previously on the forum, bigger/more charts means a lot more background administration work for the administrator (me!) in keeping the site working correctly, hence the proposed changes will be implemented in the above sequence to allow the site to scale better as it becomes more popular (so that it requires less administration per user).

The above was always the road-map in my head (and I have mentioned genres before and I have never ruled out bigger charts), but my 'day job' is taking up most of my time leaving not a lot enough time for BEA (although I have spent a lot of time recently creating RSS feeds to syndicate on other sites).

I really want to write these new features because the site now gets quite a lot of traffic, but on the other side I cannot afford to entirely give up my day job to do this because BEA doesn't financially allow this, so it's more a labour of love to me than a proper business that I have to fit into my spare time.

The above roadmap requires a lot of development work (probably several months of my 'free' time which I need to find outside of my day job) to develop the new features. I really value everybody's feedback and these changes *will* get done, it just takes a bit of time to do some of these things. So, please be patient and understand."

That will open up discussion of a greater variety of genres if the interest is here.

http://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/vi....php?t=861
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 06/26/2010 19:50
  • Post subject:
alovesupreme wrote:
Rap hasn't been mainstream since the late 70's....it didn't exist until the late 70's. it didn't come of age until the early 90's. It wasn't until "pop" rap like MC Hammer that it really was recognized by the general public.

I'm not a rap expert by any means, but I know a bit about its history. I'm pretty sure Rapper's Delight by Sugarhill Gang charted (that was the late 70's). I don't know what you mean by "came of age," but rap first went multi-platinum with Run Dmc's Raising Hell album and The Beastie Boys License to Ill to a lesser extent in the mid 80's. I know. I was a teenager then. Also, both NWA's debuts and Public Enemy's first two albums came out in the late 80's, so I would argue it started in the late 70's, started gradually moving into the mainstream in the 80's and yes, exploded in the 90's. Most cultural movements are like that--a gradual progression. They don't happen over night.
  • Visit poster's website
ffudnebbuh
level 8

United States

• Posted: 07/04/2010 12:20
  • Post subject:
I understand exactly what the author of this post means...to me the answer is to just create the list of your favorite music...the more different types of music is posted, the more people with different tastes will populate this site. The majority of the people on this forum are very young and haven't yet been exposed to a lot of the music that is out there. But I don't blame the kids, I blame way music is heard these day..
(off topic) Music, today, is disseminated in too many different demographically oriented clusters...you have to really search to find a "place" that plays different types of music...That is the reason why the record business revenues go down a couple percent each year since the 2000.,,,I hate to say this, but when I was a kid, everything was on the one station in your town...Led Zep, Aretha, Beatles, Hendrix, MC5, Motown, etc...
  • Visit poster's website
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 07/04/2010 13:45
  • Post subject:
ffudnebbuh wrote:
I hate to say this, but when I was a kid, everything was on the one station in your town...Led Zep, Aretha, Beatles, Hendrix, MC5, Motown, etc...

I'm the same age as you. In Toronto we had AM and FM stations dedicated to specific genres and age groups. I listened to Chum FM and then later to CFNY for their rock album format and new edgy music respectively. Regardless, neither you nor I heard everything. We only heard whatever the label promoted or what a resilient act manager was able to place. Nielsen SoundScan says that 97,751 albums were released in 2009 alone. That's a lot of songs for one radio station to play Smile
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
ffudnebbuh
level 8

United States

• Posted: 07/04/2010 13:56
  • Post subject:
Freddie55 wrote:
ffudnebbuh wrote:
I hate to say this, but when I was a kid, everything was on the one station in your town...Led Zep, Aretha, Beatles, Hendrix, MC5, Motown, etc...

I'm the same age as you. In Toronto we had AM and FM stations dedicated to specific genres and age groups. I listened to Chum FM and then later to CFNY for their rock album format and new edgy music respectively. Regardless, neither you nor I heard everything. We only heard whatever the label promoted or what a resilient act manager was able to place. Nielsen SoundScan says that 97,751 albums were released in 2009 alone. That's a lot of songs for one radio station to play Smile

I agree, we heard what the labels were pushing, but in retrospect, there was very little that we weren't exposed to, part of the reason of course was that there wasn't nearly as much music being released as there is now. But something has to give because according to RIAA, sales are down drastically from 2000 and I blame the formats. That is the only reason that I can thing of that would explain it. There could be other explanations, though...people are able to buy one song from an album instead of having the buy the whole thing...
People just aren't being exposed to as much music today ..I was trying to make the point that there are few stations today that play the breadth of songs that the average AM station played in 1967, stations were much more diverse than the average FM station today..today there way too many genre and sub genre stations to get a good feel for everything that is out there...what is going on in music..the FM station that I used to listen to in 1977 played Led zep, Pink Floyd, Isley Brothers, Tom Waits, Randy Newman, Patti Smith, MC5, Sex Pistols, Fleetwood Mac, Kinks, Rufus,etc.
today is a led zep/pink floyd/ metallica station...there are no stations that I listen to today on a regular basis now. Right now, Pandora is the best way to listen to music because I hear so much new music..I really like it. It is the very much like the old AM station that I listened to as a kid.
  • Visit poster's website
Freddie55

Canada

• Posted: 07/04/2010 14:57
  • Post subject:
ffudnebbuh wrote:
Right now, Pandora is the best way to listen to music because I hear so much new music..I really like it. It is the very much like the old AM station that I listened to as a kid.

I believe that radio's numbers must have dropped even more precipitously than music sales. Nobody that I know under the age of 30 listens to radio or even internet radio. Why bother when you have an iPod? Friends my age only listen to the CBC.... and their iPods! I listen to radio when I drive but dislike all the stations. I'm going to get an auxillary jack installed in the car for my iTouch.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
ffudnebbuh
level 8

United States

• Posted: 07/04/2010 15:01
  • Post subject:
Freddie55 wrote:
ffudnebbuh wrote:
Right now, Pandora is the best way to listen to music because I hear so much new music..I really like it. It is the very much like the old AM station that I listened to as a kid.

I believe that radio's numbers must have dropped even more precipitously than music sales. Nobody that I know under the age of 30 listens to radio or even internet radio. Why bother when you have an iPod? Friends my age only listen to the CBC.... and their iPods! I listen to radio when I drive but dislike all the stations. I'm going to get an auxillary jack installed in the car for my iTouch.

Good point
  • Visit poster's website
Wazzup

Australia

• Posted: 09/12/2010 14:56
  • Post subject:
On the original discussion; I am a predominately Rock fan, but I also love Cool Jazz, Blues, Classical, Electronic etc. To me these really represent the pinnacle of musicianship. That's why I really consider them some of the best genres. To someone who is not educated in Rap (like myself) think Rap is focused on artists like 50-cent or Soulja Boy and that is an instant deterrent. Rap just seems lesser, musically. I know that probably isn't the case but that's the idea music listeners get. Jazz is also very heavy, and although I consider a more advanced, more musical form of.. well, music than Rock even, people just can't click with it; it's too daunting.

Although this site is called besteveralbums I would love to see more classical on the charts because I really consider Romantic music to be the very best of music.

I cannot say anything for that of Soul music because I have no knowledge in that field.

Sorry if this seems bias or dismissive, but it's just my view.
  • Visit poster's website
purple

• Posted: 09/14/2010 03:56
  • Post subject:
[quote="ffudnebbuh"][quote="Freddie55"][quote="ffudnebbuh"] Right now, Pandora is the best way to listen to music because I hear so much new music..I really like it. It is the very much like the old AM station that I listened to as a kid.[/quote]

I believe that radio's numbers must have dropped even more precipitously than music sales. Nobody that I know under the age of 30 listens to radio or even internet radio. Why bother when you have an iPod? Friends my age only listen to the CBC.... and their iPods! I listen to radio when I drive but dislike all the stations. I'm going to get an auxillary jack installed in the car for my iTouch.[/quote]

Good point[/quote]

I don't listen to it much, but I listen to Tejano radio at least an hour a week. It's more lively than most stuff, but not very diverse