Average Chart Position.

View previous topic :: View next topic
steve_o_619

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/26/2013 00:18
  • Post subject: Average Chart Position.
This may well of already been suggested, sorry if it has.

Anyway, i feel like many albums have gained there place on the overall chart through being in average positions on high numbers of charts (the bends, sex pistols), where as others have just been ranked very highly on the fewer the charts they've been included in (ITAOTS).

I just thought the average place of an album in the charts where it has been included would be an interesting statistic.

(this would ofcourse be skewed by charts of different sizes, so perhaps only include 100-album charts in this statistic? Another flaw being if an album is only selected by 1 user and is in place no.1, so a minimum number of inclusions would be needed.)

Anyway, it's just something i'd like too see, because i'd love to know which albums have the "marmite factor" whereby if you like it, you LOVE it! Or, you just hate it....

Sorry for this being so poorly written by the way, it's late!
Thanks!
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 07/26/2013 02:40
  • Post subject:
I've thought of this in the past. It could be an interesting statistic, but it can already be estimated by taking the album's total score and dividing by the number of charts in which is appears and then corresponding that value to a chart position. I suppose it wouldn't hurt, though, so I wouldn't be opposed if others want it.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 07/26/2013 14:27
  • Post subject:
I really like this idea. I think it will be very eye opening for many people to help really understand why the highest ranked albums are where they are. I think it's especially revealing when looking at the 2013 chart. The highest ranked charts are for the most part the most talked about and well known and not necessarily the most beloved.
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 07/27/2013 09:02
  • Post subject:
Back when the site first started, instead of using the current system of rank points, it used the album's average position in a chart as the prime metric for ranking albums, but this got discarded fairly early in the site's history because of the issues outlined in this post. In short, the different sizes of chart on the site don't make an 'average rank' a very useful figure. Just including the same sized charts in the figure (& ignoring anything else) would make the figure a bit dirty.
  • Visit poster's website