Album of the day (#989): In Utero by Nirvana

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 08/02/2013 22:07
  • Post subject:
Great album, I do rate it below Nevermind though, but both are in my top 100 (For now anyway), the opening half of this album is the strong part for me, I adore the first 6 tracks but after that it just drops a bit before a strong finish with All Apologies, that said, I still really like tracks 7-11, just feel it isn't as strong their previous album as a whole, to me anyway, I've heard many people refer to this as Nirvana's crowning achievement, which is perfectly understandable, I just prefer Nevermind.

• Visit poster's website
nf0603

• Posted: 08/02/2013 23:01
  • Post subject:
Personally prefer it to Nevermind, though both albums are great
  • Visit poster's website
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 08/03/2013 00:03
  • Post subject:
I like Pixies-Nirvana much better than Sonic Youth-Nirvana. Noise gimmickry can be cool enough, but I think the loud-quiet dynamic works much better for Nirvana. Still a good album!
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 08/03/2013 00:27
  • Post subject:
Just in time for the announcement of the 20th anniversary edition. This was a top three album for me when I first joined, along with Raw Power and White Light/White Heat, and it remains my favorite Nirvana album. Raw Power was Kurt's favorite album (I think), and I've always imagined this is his attempt to match the raw sound of that album. My favorite track is "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter," followed closely by "All Apologies," "Scentless Apprentice," "Very Ape," "Milk It," "Francis Farmer.... hell the whole album

• Posted: 08/03/2013 03:19
  • Post subject:
Patman360 wrote:
I adore the first 6 tracks but after that it just drops a bit before a strong finish with All Apologies.

That's interesting. I'm frankly not crazy about much of the first half, aside from "Serve the Servants" (and a love-hate relationship with "Heart-Shaped Box"), whereas "Very Ape", "Milk It", "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter", and Tourette's" are all incredible in my opinion. Guess we're just opposites on that one Laughing
Happymeal

• Posted: 08/03/2013 10:27
  • Post subject:
I don't think Nirvana is that bad anymore, but Bleach is their best album.
Torchlin

Portugal

• Posted: 08/03/2013 14:12
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
That's interesting. I'm frankly not crazy about much of the first half, aside from "Serve the Servants" (and a love-hate relationship with "Heart-Shaped Box"), whereas "Very Ape", "Milk It", "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter", and Tourette's" are all incredible in my opinion.

I would replace "Serve the Servants" with "Scentless Apprentice" but yeah it's pretty much what I think too.
The dumber and noisier Nirvana was, the better. It's just too bad "Endless, Nameless" was released as a hidden track on Nevermind. I think I would have pit perfectly here.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 08/03/2013 14:44
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
That's interesting. I'm frankly not crazy about much of the first half, aside from "Serve the Servants" (and a love-hate relationship with "Heart-Shaped Box"), whereas "Very Ape", "Milk It", "Radio Friendly Unit Shifter", and Tourette's" are all incredible in my opinion. Guess we're just opposites on that one Laughing

I appear to be in the minority when it comes to In Utero, by preferring the first half of the album. Cool
I do really enjoy the second half (The album is in my overall chart) , but I find tracks like Serve The Servants and Dumb to be incredible, whereas I'm less interested in something like Radio Friendly Unit Shifter or Milk It and wouldn't play those tracks as much, as you say, guess we're opposites. Cool

• Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 08/03/2013 16:41
  • Post subject:
Nirvana's weakest album if you ask me, but it has a lot of good ideas and its in no way bad. But that's just my taste, I guess. Nirvana was at their best when they were writing wailing noise-punk.
  • Visit poster's website