Album of the day (#992): Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Ba

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 08/07/2013 07:51
  • Post subject:
A great pop album. I think it's overrated but also gets a lot of backlash for no good reason. It isn't as "cool" as Revolver perhaps, but I find this album more fun and more consistent. I like how it mostly doesn't take itself too seriously, although ADITL is one of my favorite tracks despite sounding out-of-place because, well, the main part of the album really ends with the title track reprise and ADITL is a sort of epilogue IMO, a track that pulls the listener sharply back into reality. We've had fun, but the show's over, we have to sometime or other go back and think about our problems. It captures that frustration really well too. It is also the only Sgt. Pepper track that can be described as frightening.

Last edited by Facetious on 08/07/2013 12:21; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 08/07/2013 09:33
  • Post subject:
Facetious wrote:
A great pop album. I think it's overrated but also gets a lot of backlash for no good reason. It isn't as "cool" as Revolver perhaps, but I find this album more fun and more consistent. I like how it mostly doesn't take itself too seriously, although ADITL is one of my favorite tracks despite sounding out-of-place because, well, the main part of the album really ends with the title track reprise and ADITL is a sort of epilogue IMO, a track that pulls the listener sharply back into reality. We've had fun, but the show's over, we have to sometime or other go back and think about our problems. It captures that frustration really well too.

I've noticed that epilogue structure come up pretty frequently. It's not a bad approach to an album by any means.
TracyJacks

Hungary

• Posted: 08/07/2013 10:22
  • Post subject:
Facetious wrote:
I find this album more fun and more consistent.

I like how it mostly doesn't take itself too seriously, although ADITL is one of my favorite tracks despite sounding out-of-place because, well, the main part of the album really ends with the title track reprise and ADITL is a sort of epilogue IMO, a track that pulls the listener sharply back into reality. We've had fun, but the show's over, we have to sometime or other go back and think about our problems. It captures that frustration really well too.

Applause
Well said.

Especially the middle part - Paul's part - of ADITL, which is so depressing and frustrating compared to all the other fun songs on the album.
  • Visit poster's website