Total Votes : 16

Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 08/08/2013 05:38
  • Post subject: 2KT Rd.1 - Taj Mahal vs The Complete Works
2KT

Round 1

Taj Mahal - Taj Mahal (1968) vs. Edgard Varese - The Complete Works (1998)

Bork's Taj Mahal - Taj Mahal (1968). Band Rank: 2229. Album Rank: 6323. Link

dividesbyzero's Edgard Varese - The Complete Works (1998). Band Rank: 8171. Album Rank: 17833. Link

Matches will stay open for a few days each time. Please make sure to listen to both before voting! The links to both albums should be in here!

Imma leave these open some more time than the last. I may start overlapping (open 2 matches every 2 days and have each match last 4 days) so the whole thing moves fast but people still get to vote on all.[/img]
  • Visit poster's website
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 08/08/2013 11:09
  • Post subject:
Which 'The Complete Works' is this? 1998 or 1950?
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 08/08/2013 11:13
  • Post subject:
sorry that should probably be written as "Riccardo Chailly / Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra & Asko Ensemble - Edgard Varese: The Complete Works". So the 1998 one

Anyway,
Edgard Varese's music (which, in its entirety, lasts about 3 hours), creates everything from hypnotic atmospheres brought about by entirely percussive pieces, to mind-bending proto-electronic compositions built around the use of electronic tape loops; which, while being somewhat ahead of its time, might seem gimmicky at first, but Varese wasn't just using tape loops and other similar advanced compositional elements purely for the sake of experimentation. While everything Varese composes is interesting conceptually (especially what he does with rhythm and timbre, even more so than what he does with electronics), there are plenty of composers who's work I find conceptually interesting (namely the more adventurous side of Cage), but don't necessarily enjoy listening to. Edgard Varese is not one of those composers

some of his more well known works include:

Link

ahhhh the way he builds up these disparate strands into monolithic sound towers that he keeps tearing down and rebuilding. I don't even know but I like it

and then there's what is possibly the quintessential Varese composition:

Link

I'm not even going to try to give this some kind of pretentious description or analysis. Just fucking listen to it
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 08/08/2013 16:03
  • Post subject:
Although Varese is far from my favorite composer of this period (music concrete or just pre-60s electronic). I much prefer the likes of Schaeffer, Henry, Xenakis, Ussachevsky, Stockhausen, etc but I still enjoy Varese a fair bit. Ionisation is probably my favorite piece of his. His influence on electronic music and perhaps experimental music in general (f.ex Frank Zappa) is substantial.

Heard Taj Mahal once before but cant really remember it. Ill have to relisten to it, but im guessing ill go with Varese unless it blows my mind.
  • Visit poster's website
Cymro2011
The Beatles were objectively average

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/08/2013 22:11
  • Post subject:
Woah, Taj Mahal surprised me.
  • Visit poster's website
Patman360
Serenity Now

Ireland

• Posted: 08/10/2013 17:32
  • Post subject:
Both are cool albums, but went with Taj Mahal in the end, right up my street and it'll be getting plenty of more playtime.

• Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 08/10/2013 18:15
  • Post subject:
Taj mahal is one of the best blues albums ever released. I haven't listened to the complete works and i'm not too familiar with classical music in general, but I've never gotten along with what I've listened to from that particular genre.

Though to compliment Taj Mahal some more, what I always loved about it is just that it's well played blues and just very fun stuff. Blues is an amazing genre and the best albums from it are always the ones played with soul (not the genre soul). Anyways, probably gonna vote Taj mahal, it would take a lot for me not to (at least, for what I believe it's up against).

• Posted: 08/11/2013 02:48
  • Post subject:
That Varese album was actually one of the more interesting finds of the tourney for me, but I've really enjoyed Taj Mahal for a long time. It's just an awesome blues rock album, and it gets my vote. It deserves to go far. 'Diving Duck Blues' in particular gets me every time. Proto-Hendrix.
Defago
Your Most Favorite User

Peru

• Posted: 08/12/2013 00:11
  • Post subject:
Poll's closed, and it's a tie, so I'm gonna vote post-closing to break the tie. I'll just leave polls without a time limit to avoid this next time.

The Complete Works wins.
  • Visit poster's website