Of your favorite artists, which album do think is underrated

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
View previous topic :: View next topic
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 08/16/2013 03:22
  • Post subject:
Blue October's "Any Man In America" might actually be as good as Foiled. Close between the two.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
rayword45

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2013 00:28
  • Post subject:
Underrated by fans or not by fans?

By fans:

Only because I consider it infinitely superior to MHTRTC
Applies to both, I never hear anyone talk about this but the CD reissue is 70 amazing minutes.
Again, applies to both.

Not by fans:

• Visit poster's website
Mr.Music

Estonia

• Posted: 08/20/2013 10:14
  • Post subject:
As a Gun Club fan i must say after Miami everything seems to be underrated - The Las Vegas Story, Mother Juno, Pastoral Hide and Seek.
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 08/20/2013 14:31
  • Post subject:
Since I've listened to it, I've been really surprised to see I Am A Bird Now by Antony & The Johnsons ranked so low. I mean, it's depressing pop with good songwriting and one of the best voices of the decade. Nothing inaccessible or unpleasant. How albums like Silent Alarm, X&Y or Wolfmother are in front of it for its year is beyond my understanding. I'm not saying that everyone should like it, I'm just surprised because to me, it really sounds like something that would be to many people's tastes here.

Same for the first two Dexys' albums, most Flaming Lips 90's output (In A Priest Driven Ambulance, Hit To Death In The Futurehead, ...), Wire's 154, Richard Hell & The Voidoids' Blank Generation, Cocteau Twins' Blue Bell Knoll, Low's I Could Live In Hope, The Undertones' self-titled, Mazzy Star's So Tonight That I Might See, Gravediggaz's 6 Feet Deep, The Hives' Veni Vidi Vicious, Atmosphere's God Loves Ugly, The The's Soul Mining, Peter Gabriel's debut or The Jam's In The City. All of these are critically acclaimed classics and/or by pretty popular bands and sound like something that would get success here, but none of them are even in the top 1000.

Anyway, I guess I'm just complaining about my favorites not being ranked high enough.
  • Visit poster's website
AlexZangari

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2013 14:38
  • Post subject:
I don't think I've posted in here yet. Some I think are underrated:

Blur - 13 This is one of my all-time favourites, and I know Mecca has it at #1. I can't stress enough how everyone needs to listen to this album. It's overlooked way too often because Parklife is the go-to for Blur. If Parklife hasn't had an effect on you, don't just assume Blur isn't for you. Listen to this and all Blur's non-britpop material - their s/t, Think Tank, and Leisure (although Leisure's probably their worst album. If you're a big Madchester fan you might dig it). Blur has a very diverse discography. Stray from their Britpop work and you might be surprised.

The Killers - Sam's Town Their best album by a large stretch for me.

MCR - Danger Days Aside from MCR being pretty much shunned on this site, this album in particular doesn't get the attention it deserves. It's an adrenaline rush. I think Outlaw had it in his top ten.

Flaming Lips - At War With the Mystics This should be regarded as a classic along with the 2 previous albums and Clouds Taste Metallic.

Sonic Youth - Sister Their second best record.

Stereolab - Dots and Loops On par with (perhaps even better than) ETK.

Wilco - The Wilco Book Probably none of you have heard this, and I don't mean that in a pretentious way but in a "this was just the bonus CD to a book about them but should have been their follow-up to YHF" way. It's fiercely experimental and remarkably thought-provoking.

Tegan and Sara - If It Was You I put this at #3 behind So Jealous and The Con, which are in a league of their own.

LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening I might be the only one who finds this better than Sound of Silver Confused

The Rentals - Seven More Minutes The Rentals aren't extremely popular, but if there's one album people are familiar with it's Return of the Rentals. This one is loads better.
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 08/20/2013 15:07
  • Post subject:
AlexZangari wrote:
Sonic Youth - Sister Their second best record.

Completely agree.

AlexZangari wrote:
Flaming Lips - At War With the Mystics This should be regarded as a classic along with the 2 previous albums and Clouds Taste Metallic.

Completely disagree.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2013 15:22
  • Post subject:
AlexZangari wrote:
Wilco - The Wilco Book Probably none of you have heard this, and I don't mean that in a pretentious way but in a "this was just the bonus CD to a book about them but should have been their follow-up to YHF" way. It's fiercely experimental and remarkably thought-provoking.

I have a copy of The Wilco Book. The CD is great. But I still wouldn't put it on the level of any of their best albums
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2013 15:32
  • Post subject:
here's a couple

Brian Eno + John Cale - Wrong Way Up: Two of the most influential figures in modern music joining forces for one of the best albums either has been involved in.

Raymond Scott: Manhattan Research, Inc: One of the earliest groundbreaking works in electronic music by the guy who composed the music that soundtracked Looney Tunes.

James Brown - Live At The Apollo: The King Of Soul at his very best.
  • Visit poster's website