Album of the day (#1020): The Beatles (The White Album)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic

• Posted: 09/03/2013 02:49
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
I prefer their earlier, more innocent days. Give me Please Please Me any day.

Right there with you kiddo

I definitely prefer the rock n roll/blues influenced early stuff where you can almost feel the crackle of energy buzzing through every chord. Their version of 'Anna (Go To Him)' on 'Please Please Me' is amazing and almost as good as the Arthur Alexander original (and coming from me that is really saying something!).

I have always found their later stuff to be very much 'hey we're the Beatles' and to be so over-the-top revered to almost deity dimensions - something I have never really bought into.

I am not saying this is a bad album - it obviously isn't and there are far too many great tracks on the album to even consider it as such!

It's just not an album that I love!
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2013 03:33
  • Post subject:
I remember being bought this when i was 14, christmas 2003... good times. Such a great record. There are some extraneous imperfections in here in my opinion and that drags it from its perch as being considered a true masterpeice in the Beatles discography. Nonetheless, the highs here are sky high and some of the greatest songs the Beatles ever did and thus some of the best songs period. So many great songs here it is pointless listing them all. How can it be no one has mentioned "Julia" yet on this thread? To me that is just a gorgeous, heartbreaking love song and was my hands down fave Beatles song for years.

Best Songs: "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and "Julia"

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 09/03/2013 05:20
  • Post subject:
I love it, although I don't exactly listen to it often. It might be my least favorite from their "classic" period (without counting Let It Be), but it does contain some of my favorite tracks by them, like Dear Prudence, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and Helter Skelter. I think its length is part of its charm. I'm not sure I would shorten it if I could Think Maybe I would listen to it more regularly, but... I don't know. It's definitely better as a mess'
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/03/2013 05:33
  • Post subject:
Mancsoulsister wrote:
Their version of 'Anna (Go To Him)' on 'Please Please Me' is amazing and almost as good as the Arthur Alexander original (and coming from me that is really saying something!).

Totally agree, love that song so much!
  • Visit poster's website
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 09/03/2013 05:54
  • Post subject:
My favorite by them. I love how the in the wonderful mess that it is you can just feel the tension and dissolving of the legendary band.
Wombi

• Posted: 09/03/2013 06:24
  • Post subject:
What I wrote last time it was album of the day

Jhereko wrote:
This album really shouldn't need defending, but hey looks like it does. (It was gettin a lot of hate last time out)

The White Album is a big, hot, white, sticky mess. There will never be another album like The Beatles. Neverrrr. I don't think you can say that about almost any other album, I have it ranked 3rd on my chart (2nd now) and yet I couldn't make that statement about the 2 albums above it. 30 tracks of insanity, quaint tales and well more insanity? it's everything The Beatles were together and individually.

Yes, The Beatles were breaking at the seams during the recording, but that only services the record. You can hear each Beatles individual sound: John's bitter cynisism, Paul's goofy, catchy tunes that ranged from grandma's favourite numbers to baby's first lullaby, George's quiet grief and Ringo's...well Ringo was there (and then not for 2 weeks apparently). But all 3 1/2 of those big personality's proving themselves over and over again throughout The White Album and proving how well they work together (well barely). Filler? Filler? what fucking filler? Where's the bad song on this album? Because I sure as hell don't hear it.

And the balls this album has, the balls. Not just John's multiple call out songs but a nice boy band like The Beatles doing a song called "Why don't we do it in the road?" (which is apparently about monkeys...well...fucking). Having album art (or lack thereof) that is basically blank. Hell, even having 2 massive LP's was a gutsy move. And last but ot least the transition from Revolution 9 (which is fucking scary and I love it for that) to Good Night might be the biggest 'Fuck You' in popular music. I can't even imagine what a 1968 music listener putting this on would have thought (it reportedly went down like this: "... most listeners loathing it outright, the dedicated fans trying to understand it." ) . I know Revolution 9 isn't the first of it's kind, but a band as popular as The Beatles putting it on an album (can you imagine Coldplay doing it? hell, I haven't even heard Radiohead do something as bat-shit crazy) that's just madness. But then they follow up with album closer "Good Night", the most saccharine, condescending and one of the most beautiful songs they ever wrote, almost chastising you for sitting through Revolution 9 (which I do listen to out of context)

I don't know how much I agree with the thinking that The Beatles covers all genres, though it certainly covers most forms of rock fairly well. I'll always maintain that it was The Beatles artistic peak.. It was my #1 album when I came to BEA and I don't think it'll ever leave my top 5.

Mostly still true.
TracyJacks

Hungary

• Posted: 09/03/2013 07:07
  • Post subject:
I listen to the White album a couple of days ago. I always think of that how great this album is. It is a special one in their catalogue. It's a big mess, full of musically totally different, individual songs by the four members, yet if you listen to the whole album it all sounds so coherent as a whole. And I don't know why and how can it sound so coherent when it is so messy.

Favourite songs are
Dear Prudence
While my guitar
Happiness is a warm gun
I'm so tired
Piggies
Mother's Nature son
Sexy Sadie
Savoy Truffle
Cry baby cry
  • Visit poster's website
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 09/03/2013 07:37
  • Post subject:
Mancsoulsister wrote:
I have always found their later stuff to be very much 'hey we're the Beatles' and to be so over-the-top revered to almost deity dimensions - something I have never really bought into.

I have always found Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band to be very much 'hey we're Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band'. This album is probably more like 'hey, I'm Paul and I'm playing this song on my acoustic guitar all by myself and next to this room is John making "music" together with Yoko while George is playing in a third room.. and Ringo is currently on "vacation"'.
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 09/03/2013 14:05
  • Post subject:
The most fun Beatles album. I loved it from the first listen but it took me a few more to appreciate that just about everything here has its place (including even Revolution 1 which, though slightly inferior to the rocking single version, is still of course a good song) and also to appreciate how through its length it takes its time to explore the personalities of each of the four members of the Beatles (that's why it's self-titled?) beneath all the experimentation. Track picks:

1. Back In The U.S.S.R.
2. Dear Prudence
3. Glass Onion
7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
8. Happiness Is A Warm Gun
9. Martha My Dear
10. I'm So Tired
11. Blackbird
12. Piggies
14. Don't Pass Me By
15. Why Don't We Do It In The Road?
17. Julia