Ideas gone

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 09/07/2013 00:44
  • Post subject:
harkan wrote:
Quality over quantity.

This. You might consider synthesizing your proudest moments from the songs you've already made into a few larger tracks. Quite a few of your songs (that I've heard) seem stagnant to me, but appear to be 'blendable' into each other at times with some work, which could make for some great dynamics. You should look into Steve Reich; even if you don't like his music, I think you'd find his view on process music and dynamics interesting and perhaps inspiring. I also suggest you look to Nurse With Wound, if you haven't already.

One of the big problems of being as prolific as you are is that no one ever knows where to start. With prolific musicians like Jandek, Sun Ra, Merzbow, etc., I (and likely others) look to critics to point them to quality releases as starting points. Unfortunately, you haven't made a name for yourself yet to gain such critical attention, and listeners are overwhelmed and lost when approaching your releases.

Whatever you do, don't give up.
videoheadcleaner
formerly Harkan

Australia

• Posted: 09/07/2013 01:04
  • Post subject:
ppnw wrote:
This. You might consider synthesizing your proudest moments from the songs you've already made into a few larger tracks. Quite a few of your songs (that I've heard) seem stagnant to me, but appear to be 'blendable' into each other at times with some work, which could make for some great dynamics. You should look into Steve Reich; even if you don't like his music, I think you'd find his view on process music and dynamics interesting and perhaps inspiring. I also suggest you look to Nurse With Wound, if you haven't already.

One of the big problems of being as prolific as you are is that no one ever knows where to start. With prolific musicians like Jandek, Sun Ra, Merzbow, etc., I (and likely others) look to critics to point them to quality releases as starting points. Unfortunately, you haven't made a name for yourself yet to gain such critical attention, and listeners are overwhelmed and lost when approaching your releases.

Whatever you do, don't give up.

So mixing a few tracks together to create larger work? Might be an idea.

I have this bizarre idea of dragging things out too much - I know this and I am going to work on that.

I don't expect to be at the heights of Merzbow or Sun Ra anytime soon (maybe never?) but that is another aspect of my music that I need to also look at: exposure.

I will persevere with my noise making. Just ignore the fluff and find the stuff you like in my work.

Personally, Ellipsis, Burn, Discarded Knowledge, Hubris & Asylum I think are the best out of my releases.
  • Visit poster's website