Does Liking American Idiot Make Me a Bad Person?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
SquishypuffDave

Australia

• Posted: 10/25/2010 03:14
  • Post subject:
Bork wrote:
Great album. Arguably the best album of the 2000s.

Yes... Very, VERY, arguably... Rolling Eyes

Last edited by SquishypuffDave on 10/25/2010 10:51; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 10/25/2010 08:40
  • Post subject:
yes I do believe there are two criteria necessary to rate this album highly and they are both in the title.
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 10/27/2010 02:51
  • Post subject:
You all ready for a surprise? I like American Idiot too. There I said it. Deal with it.

Actually, I liked Green Day early on after I saw them when their second album came out. Like a lot of people my age, I loved Dookie when it came out. It captured that teen and young 20 something angst and it was as catchy as a cold. But then I discovered indie rock and started tuning Green Day out for a while. But when I heard the title track of American Idiot and Holiday, I thought Wow! They are making great music again with topical messages, so I bought the album, and for the most part, I really like it. Do I think it's the best album of the 2000's? Of course not. But it is a good one.

Also, no, I don't think what you listen to makes you a bad person. That's a really stupid thing to say, and makes me wonder how insecure the author of this thread is. I suppose opinionated music fans could argue, it just means you have bad taste, but that's also arguable, like all things subjective.

Green Day is another band it is very fashionable for music snobs to hate. Why? Because they were one of the first bands to make punk commercial and accessible to a wide audience, and if you're some self-righteous punk stalwart like let's say, Ian McKaye or Steve Albini, or even the guys in Sonic Youth, then Green Day would represent the ultimate sell-outs. If punk is merely an ethos to you, than yeah, Green Day sucks.

I'm not really interested in that though. What about the music itself? It's pop punk, right? It's catchy and hummable, and appeals to a lot of people. Well, have you ever listened closely to The Ramones, The Clash, The Buzzcocks, The Jam, The Damned, Husker Du, etc? You would realize there has always been an element of pop in punk. Green Day is very much in the musical tradition of those bands, it's just that they're more commercial and have been 1000 times more successful.

Anyways, I like American Idiot. The title track, especially, kicks ass.
  • Visit poster's website
telefunker

United Kingdom

• Posted: 10/27/2010 18:37
  • Post subject:
in all objectivity, you are only a 'good person' if you like the entire contents of my personal chart.