Album of the day (#1027): Laughing Stock by Talk Talk

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 09/10/2013 21:06
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
It was a general statement, not really pointed at you, though your comment did kind of spark it in that I don't see how something being "super quiet and minimalistic" with a certain way of singing qualifies it as "assuming dignity, importance, or artistic distinction" though its all subjective (there's another one of those words! Razz)

Another thing, there is a difference between aiming for dignity, importance, and artistic distinction, and assuming you've already reached the peak of dignity, importance, and artistic distinction...I think the latter is pretentious, while the former isn't.

I don't wanna go into a superlong discussion about this, but I'm pretty sure that 'assume' can take another meaning than the one you're thinking of as in a "claim you have dignity, importance, or artistic distinction even though you haven't". I can find hundreds of other definitions, maybe some that fit my statement better, but I won't bother, really. I'm not an expert or educated in languages or anything, I'll probably just end up looking more stupid than I already do now!

What I meant with that "super quiet and minimalistic etc."-part was that I think it tries too hard to sound delicate, something about it sounds unnatural. You know that phrase "less is more", there's too much of that here... if they didn't want to sound pretentious (but that's just a subjective opinion)! And what does pretentious mean...

To prove I've understood the meaning of the nasty p-word requires to much brain-frying activity. Look at how much ridiculous nonsense I've already written. I give up! You win! I have no idea what pretentious means!

• Posted: 09/10/2013 21:08
  • Post subject:
Mother Nature's Son wrote:
I don't wanna go into a superlong discussion about this, but I'm pretty sure that 'assume' can take another meaning than the one you're thinking of as in a "claim you have dignity, importance, or artistic distinction even though you haven't". I can find hundreds of other definitions, maybe some that fit my statement better, but I won't bother, really. I'm not an expert or educated in languages or anything, I'll probably just end up looking more stupid than I already do now!

What I meant with that "super quiet and minimalistic etc."-part was that I think it tries too hard to sound delicate, something about it sounds unnatural. You know that phrase "less is more", there's too much of that here... if they didn't want to sound pretentious (but that's just a subjective opinion)! And what does pretentious mean...

To prove I've understood the meaning of the nasty p-word requires to much brain-frying activity. Look at how much ridiculous nonsense I've already written. I give up! You win! I have no idea what pretentious means!

I wasn't really intending to go into a big discussion about it, I made one statement and then felt I had to respond to your response to my statement or else I'd look like a big jerk dummyface...Hell, I have no idea what pretentious means. Razz
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 09/10/2013 21:29
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
I wasn't really intending to go into a big discussion about it, I made one statement and then felt I had to respond to your response to my statement or else I'd look like a big jerk dummyface...Hell, I have no idea what pretentious means. Razz

I know it wasn't your intention, but in order to give a proper answer it seemed like it would automatically lead to a big discussion. If you don't know what it means either, how can you assume people have misunderstood its meaning? Confused

It seemed like many agreed with you, so it would be cool if anybody else would care to explain what it means, maybe?

• Posted: 09/10/2013 21:32
  • Post subject:
I know it wasn't your intention, but in order to give a proper answer it seemed like it would automatically lead to a big discussion. If you don't know what it means either, how can you assume people have misunderstood its meaning? Confused

It seemed like many agreed with you, so it would be cool if anybody else would care to explain what it means, maybe?

I do know what it means to an extent, that was kind of a joke, and a way of apologizing...You made it clear you knew what it meant as well, but then said you didn't know what it meant, so I was kind of echoing you. Meow.
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 09/10/2013 21:46
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
I do know what it means to an extent, that was kind of a joke, and a way of apologizing...You made it clear you knew what it meant as well, but then said you didn't know what it meant, so I was kind of echoing you. Meow.

Okay, then. Smile I'm not really working on those levels right now. It has to be a lot more... eh... simple. And what about 'meow', does that literally mean meow? Okay, I'm done here!

• Posted: 09/10/2013 21:48
  • Post subject:
Okay, then. Smile I'm not really working on those levels right now. It has to be a lot more... eh... simple. And what about 'meow', does that literally mean meow? Okay, I'm done here!

Meow is my equivalent of "om". Very Happy
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 09/10/2013 22:35
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
I think it's more the fact that making a "worst albums" chart and then posting it on AotD threads instead of contributing anything to the discussion makes you an ass, but maybe that's just me.

This. I don't think "worst ever" lists serve any purpose than to crap on music that other people like in a completely non-constructive way.
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 09/11/2013 03:19
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
This. I don't think "worst ever" lists serve any purpose than to crap on music that other people like in a completely non-constructive way.

The chart serves the purpose of further displaying my taste in music that isn't already shown on my overall chart.