Updating album info

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 08/31/2013 20:54
  • Post subject:
Hello ! More trouble: there is that album that I want to add to my 2013 chart. The album is already in the database, here:

http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?a=45718

However, when I type this into my chart editing page, the album does exist, but is not date properly: in fact, it is dated year 0, as shown here.

Which means that if I enter it all the same, the site treats it as a different LP and then I can see there is a duplicate (but I don't know how to merge duplicates, or even if I can).

Can anybody help?
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 08/31/2013 22:58
  • Post subject:
I can't help, but your red line is really cute <3
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 09/01/2013 08:41
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
Hello ! More trouble: there is that album that I want to add to my 2013 chart. The album is already in the database, here:

http://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?a=45718

However, when I type this into my chart editing page, the album does exist, but is not date properly: in fact, it is dated year 0, as shown here.

Which means that if I enter it all the same, the site treats it as a different LP and then I can see there is a duplicate (but I don't know how to merge duplicates, or even if I can).

Can anybody help?

Thanks for the detail, I think I might understand what might be causing the problem better now.

When a new album is added to the site, there is no detail for that album except the title and artist (no year added at this point). The year of release, artwork and track listing are added afterwards via the admin pages.

Year and decade charts need to know the year of the album so that they are available for selection for the relevant year or decade that the chart pertains to. After adding a 'new' album to a chart, if the same album is then required in a different year or decade chart before the year of release is populated for the 'new' album, the album will still have a default year of release which would mean a year or decade chart wouldn't know that this album should be available for selection. So, what happens then is, because the 'new' album can't be selected due to the missing year of release, it then gets added again.

Sorry if this isn't explained very well, but I think that's essentially the problem. Now, to just think of a solution to this...
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 09/01/2013 09:47
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:

Sorry if this isn't explained very well, but I think that's essentially the problem. Now, to just think of a solution to this...

Thanks for the answer. I understand perfectly what you're saying, but thing is, the release year had been specified in the first place, therefore there was no reason for the site to give the record a default year! When I went to the admin page for the record that had been first entered, it did show 2013 as release year. But it showed "0" when I tried to add it to the chart.
  • Visit poster's website
Mother Nature's Son

Denmark

• Posted: 09/01/2013 13:59
  • Post subject:
I don't know if this in relation to the thread, but I've experienced a couple of times now that sometimes when I add an album to my chart, it randomly deletes another album because it was "duplicated". For example, I added an album yesterday and it randomly deleted Standing on the Shoulders of Giants because it was "duplicated", though I'm 100% sure that I didn't add it again when I updated my chart (maybe BEA thinks the album is too bad to be on my overall chart! Laughing ). Don't know if people already have covered this issue here. It was quite annoying because I had to write a new comment for the album.
gtroda

• Posted: 09/15/2013 03:35
  • Post subject:
gtroda wrote:
This is happening to me tonight. I added a few albums and before I could update there were several copies in the database. I put the info into one so if they are merged it should be okay. No idea why this happened. I didn't do anything different from when I've added albums before.

This just happened to me again. After I added my chart and went to edit the albums there were already multiple copies of the albums.
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 09/16/2013 18:15
  • Post subject:
I'm still monitoring this problem. The database server has now been upgraded which seems to have improved things slightly, but there remains an issue. I'll fix this as soon as I've identified the cause.
  • Visit poster's website