Album Documentaries

View previous topic :: View next topic
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 08/05/2009 05:00
  • Post subject: Album Documentaries
So there's a number of documentary DVD's about classic albums. There's a really good series called "classic albums" as a matter of fact. I just watched an amazing one about Dark Side of the Moon. It answered a lot of questions about that album I'd always been curious about. The classic albums series usually involves the actual musicians as well as producers and critics, but there's another one called "Under Review," which usually just involves critics discussing an artist's work in depth. They're still pretty interesting though. Does anyone else watch any of these? What do you think? Which music documentaries do you recommend?
  • Visit poster's website
joannajewsom

• Posted: 08/05/2009 13:41
  • Post subject:
I've seen several of the "Classic Albums" docs on VH1 Classic: Dark Side of the Moon, Disraeli Gears, The Doors, Nevermind, Night at the Opera, Who's Next, even Bat Out of Hell Smile are ones I remember seeing. They come on rather frequently where I am, and I usually find them pretty interesting, even if it's an album I don't necessarily enjoy. I really enjoy the parts where they deconstruct the tracks, playing just the vocals or just a guitar riff. I really wish they would do one on The Velvet Underground, Frank Zappa, and some of the other less commercial classic albums.

My neighborhood video store has some of the Under Review series. I've seen The Queen Is Dead, In Utero, Berlin Trilogy, and Joy Division docs from that series. I really liked the Queen Is Dead doc. Like you said, none of the musicians or producers are ever involved, so it's more of a doc from the perspective of the critics. One of the guys from Can was interviewed for the Berlin doc, but I can't remember any other musicians showing up. I guess it all depends on how interested you are in the opinion of the critics. With Classic Albums, all of the (alive) Doors and the Who were there.

Under Review has docs on Beefheart, VU, Kate Bush, but unfortunately my video store doesn't have those Sad I'll have to pressure them to order them.
  • Visit poster's website
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 01/03/2011 13:53
  • Post subject:
I like the Calssic Album series.I think I've seen just about all of them.I love seeing how great albums were made.My favorite one is the making of British Steel by Judas Priest.
On it Tipton & Downing play songs from the album on guitar showing how they created the effects they achieved by having 2 guitars playing in total unison.The band talks about how they recorded it at one of the X-Beatles houses in England.Rob Halford explains how he got many of his lyrics for this album from reading comic books.They also disclosed how they needed a metal sound for their song Metal Gods but the technology back in 1980 was nothing like it is now.So they went through the house trying different things to get the metallic sound they wanted.I don't remember if the house was owned by Ringo Starr or John Lennon but it was one of the two's homes.They ended up in the kitchen & took out a tray of silverware & just banged it on the floor.They now had their sound they wanted & ended up using on the album.Maybe it's just me but I love finding things like that out about how bands created their albums.Besides the aforementioned they also have done documentaries for John Lennon's-Plastic Ono Band.Elton John's-Goodbye Yellow Brick Road,Black Sabbath's-Paranoid,Metallica's-Black,Iron Maiden's-The Number Of The Beast,Rush's-Moving Pictures & other good ones.

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 01/03/2011 14:24
  • Post subject:
Yep, I wub these series Smile

Though not technically a documentary series, I love the 33-1/3 book series. I just read one on Neutral Milk Hotel. It was amazing.
  • Visit poster's website
cartoken
The Seer

France

• Posted: 01/06/2011 12:29
  • Post subject:
just watched "Docteur Prince & Mister Jackson", a very good documentary about the comparison and the rivalry between micheal Jackson and Prince, aired in French/German TV channel.

here's the link (availble for 1 week) it's in German or French.

http://videos.arte.tv/fr/videos/docteur...20036.html

Enjoy
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
sleepwalker87

United States

• Posted: 01/06/2011 13:59
  • Post subject:
Applerill wrote:
Though not technically a documentary series, I love the 33-1/3 book series. I just read one on Neutral Milk Hotel. It was amazing.

I'm really interested in this series, although I've only read two books. And actually, the one on OK Computer was terrible. Maybe that's because I love the album so much, I don't know. I did find it interesting that the author took "Fitter Happier" as the focal point of the album, though.

I also read the Highway 61 Revisited book. I really enjoyed that one. It goes into a lot of history and behind-the-scenes stuff that I didn't know about. I need to read more of these. I think Achtung Baby might be next...
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
thomas697

Australia

• Posted: 01/07/2011 03:25
  • Post subject:
sleepwalker87 wrote:
Applerill wrote:

I'm really interested in this series, although I've only read two books. And actually, the one on OK Computer was terrible. Maybe that's because I love the album so much, I don't know. I did find it interesting that the author took "Fitter Happier" as the focal point of the album, though.

I also read the Highway 61 Revisited book. I really enjoyed that one. It goes into a lot of history and behind-the-scenes stuff that I didn't know about. I need to read more of these. I think Achtung Baby might be next...

I look at Fitter Happier as the focal point of the album. It was at the end of that song that I realised I was listening to something special.
mooseboy101

Switzerland

• Posted: 01/07/2011 06:57
  • Post subject:
I bought Dark Side of The Moon and Who's Next on dvd, it's interesting but I always liked the bio tv channel's biography a little better for some reason. I really liked the one on Pink Floyd.