BEA Overall Spotify Playlist

View previous topic :: View next topic
nutso42

• Posted: 11/26/2013 16:52
  • Post subject: BEA Overall Spotify Playlist
Something I was considering doing, but wanted to make sure no one has already done and I was just blind and using the Search function wrong.

I want to make a Spotify playlist that goes through, say, the overall 500 top albums, and uses only one song from each album. Namely, whichever one is highest ranked by our users.

For example:

Paranoid Android
Time
Smells Like Teen Spirit
Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
Everything In Its Right Place
London Calling
Sunday Morning
God Only Knows

etc etc etc

The point being to give a very brief overview, a highlights reel, of the overall chart.
Thoughts?
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 11/26/2013 17:02
  • Post subject: Re: BEA Overall Spotify Playlist
nutso42 wrote:
Thoughts?

Make it collaborative and allow more than one song from each album. Each user can add their favorite song from each album to the playlist (if it isn't already included), and as creator of the playlist you can remove songs that don't fit whatever criteria you set up. I wouldn't follow a playlist of just our top 500, with a song from each album; I might be interested if several users were involved.
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 11/26/2013 19:14
nutso42 wrote:
Something I was considering doing, but wanted to make sure no one has already done and I was just blind and using the Search function wrong.

I want to make a Spotify playlist that goes through, say, the overall 500 top albums, and uses only one song from each album. Namely, whichever one is highest ranked by our users.

For example:

Paranoid Android
Time
Smells Like Teen Spirit
Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
Everything In Its Right Place
London Calling
Sunday Morning
God Only Knows

etc etc etc

The point being to give a very brief overview, a highlights reel, of the overall chart.
Thoughts?

One song per album (highest rated) is reasonable. More than that, having people nominate, and you'll have all the songs on the album getting put in there.

500 songs is a lot. Suggest starting with the 200 and get some feedback. Other than that, I think your plan is great exactly the way it is.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 11/26/2013 19:40
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
Make it collaborative and allow more than one song from each album. Each user can add their favorite song from each album to the playlist (if it isn't already included), and as creator of the playlist you can remove songs that don't fit whatever criteria you set up. I wouldn't follow a playlist of just our top 500, with a song from each album; I might be interested if several users were involved.

What Sweaty Keith said...

I like the idea of it being collaborative and allowing more than one song per album!
Dingerbell

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/26/2013 19:45
  • Post subject:
Would you pick the highest rated song from each album? Because many have two or three rated the same. And what about Doolittle and ITAOTS (to give two examples)? Picking a favourite from those two is way too hard.
  • Visit poster's website
nutso42

• Posted: 11/26/2013 20:01
  • Post subject:
Dingerbell wrote:
Would you pick the highest rated song from each album? Because many have two or three rated the same. And what about Doolittle and ITAOTS (to give two examples)? Picking a favourite from those two is way too hard.

I wouldn't pick the highest rated song, I'd go with what the album's page says is highest rated. Using your examples, Doolittle would be "Debaser" (which has a 91/100 rating).

ITAOTS has three songs all rated equally high, "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" "The King of Carrot Flowers Part 1" and "Holland, 1945" all of which have 90/100.

In this case, I'd go with the first song, since it has the most ratings.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 11/26/2013 23:50
  • Post subject:
nutso42 wrote:
I wouldn't pick the highest rated song, I'd go with what the album's page says is highest rated. Using your examples, Doolittle would be "Debaser" (which has a 91/100 rating).

ITAOTS has three songs all rated equally high, "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" "The King of Carrot Flowers Part 1" and "Holland, 1945" all of which have 90/100.

In this case, I'd go with the first song, since it has the most ratings.

I actually like this system. Maybe make a collaborative version and a "whatever the site voted on" version?

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
nutso42

• Posted: 11/27/2013 00:12
  • Post subject:
Okay, I'm going to try sharing this, and if it works, we'll open it up to the community for further refining.

https://play.spotify.com/user/nutso42/p...q6IlMG0a0P