Benefits of leveling

View previous topic :: View next topic
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 12/20/2013 15:38
  • Post subject: Benefits of leveling
It seems to me that the last few levels should be rearranged it terms of what a person is allowed to do. I just achieved level 6, which allows me to make Year charts; which is great, except my year charts are all seriously incomplete. On the other hand, there are Custom Charts I'd like to make but I can't for another 1600 points.

It seems to me that Custom Charts should come before the year charts, since those don't affect the overall rankings, and if Level is a reflection of how well one knows albums, one would not be ready to do Year charts until one had listened to way more albums than I have at level 6.

Also, naming your own rank should not be the big prize at the end. It's a prize, sure, but not a big enough deal to be the final prize.

Here's what I'd suggest:

Level 1-5: As is. The progression is natural and appropriate.
Level 6 2,500 points - Custom Charts
Level 7 5,000 points - Maximum chart size - 200 (I've seen a lot of 101-200 charts, and these should count at this point.
Level 8 8,000 points - Name Your Rank
Level 9 12,000 points - Year charts
Level 10 20,000 points - Maximum chart size - 300.
Every 10,000 points thereafter, maximum chart size goes up by 100. Romanelli (173,000 points) could have an 1800 item chart if he wanted.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Listmeister

United States

• Posted: 12/20/2013 15:41
  • Post subject:
I put this in the wrong forum. Is it possible to move it to Suggestions?
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Moved: 12/20/2013 16:13 by Necharsian
From Music to Suggestions
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 12/20/2013 20:07
  • Post subject:
Don't agree. Most users would rather make customs which can be fun than take the pain of putting up year charts. Therefore, custom charts should be more pricey than year charts.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 12/20/2013 20:26
  • Post subject:
I fall somewhere in the middle here. I think low-level users should be able to make private custom charts. I find that having custom charts makes it easier to organize my thoughts when creating the master "best" chart and I think anything that makes the site easier to use should be available for all members. High-level perks should just be dressing on the cake; that is, things that people want but which don't fundamentally change the experience. If you limit low-level users too much, they won't be motivated to work for more functionality.

Otherwise, the current structure doesn't bother me.

• Posted: 12/20/2013 20:27
  • Post subject:
I agree with Norman. I also think it's been suggested before to increase the chart limit over 100, which I think albummaster agreed to work on in the future (I don't recall exactly, though).
Goodsir

• Posted: 12/20/2013 21:31
  • Post subject:
I like the idea of making your chart size greater than one hundred, but I don't think it should be any higher than two hundred. Also, I think that it's ludicrous to not be able to make year charts until level nine.