78%  [32]
The Tallest Man on Earth
21%
 21%  [9]
Total Votes : 41

Saoirse

• Posted: 02/28/2014 07:46
  • Post subject:
why is this thread giving me Valley of the Dolls flashbacks?

• Posted: 02/28/2014 10:52
  • Post subject:
What the fuck is going on in this thread?

Anyway, I don't think that saying an artist "isn't real" is an invalid criticism at all - sincerity and believability and authenticity are things that we all look for, to varying degrees, in music, and where there isn't any to be found (to our ears) then an artist can instantly lose credence. This isn't to say that we hate it when artists brazenly lie or concoct stories in their lyrics, but rather that without a sense of conviction in their message (literal, implied or otherwise), we struggle to connect. So yes, it's a totally valid criticism. And it's one I can understand, though not agree with, when it comes to The Tallest Man on Earth.

The Tallest Man on Earth is pleasant enough. Obviously some people see more in his lyrics than I do. I think they're fairly run-of-the-mill stuff tbh, specific images (though not particularly vivid ones to my mind) that leave room for much interpretation. It's a trick that's been used in pop music many times, and it's all very 'Ballad of a Thin Man'. Except that 'Ballad of a Thin Man' offers more memorable images than Matsson ever appears to muster as well as more concrete metaphor possibilities - Matsson's images just kind of lie there, pretty but unmemorable, waiting on someone cleverer than them to put some sort of coherent meaning to them and give his songs some sort of credence. Nothing sticks. He's using a well-worn songwriting trick to say a whole lot of very little.

That said, I've only heard a couple of his albums a handful of times. He's not somebody whose work I've pored over until the sun has come up (though he's not somebody whose work will ever inspire me to do so). He's a perfectly capable songwriter, just a fairly pedestrian one. He plays guitar nicely enough and his voice is OK, if definitely a little Dylan-esque for comfort. I'm glad he's here, because his music obviously brings people joy, but I don't understand where the hostility is coming from on either side here. I don't see why anybody would attack his music for being particularly bad (it isn't), and I don't see why anybody would defend him for being the greatest singer-songwriter in a generation or whatever it is people here are arguing (he isn't). I don't doubt his sincerity as an artist, I just doubt his ability. And that isn't to say that I think I can write a better song than him, because I really can't, but I just think that in comparison to dozens hundreds of other singer-songwriters The Tallest Man on Earth doesn't stand out.

Anyway, I understand this probably won't sway people on either side of the argument but there's my two penneth.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 02/28/2014 15:49
  • Post subject:
I voted Elliott Smith obviously, but I figured I'd return say some things about Tallest Man on Earth.

I've seen him live, and own his records. I quite enjoy him live and recorded. Not anywhere near the point of which Mercury idolizes him. I don't find Tallest Man all that original. As stated earlier, he's following in the footsteps of Dylan (who followed in the footsteps of Guthrie).

Tallest Man's strength isn't so much his songwriting, but in his performance. He's a fine guitar player, has a somewhat unique voice and plays with a ton of energy. Not sure if he still plays totally solo, but when i saw him, god knows how many years ago, he commanded a large room with just his guitar and voice. It's much easier said than done. Ask anyone who's played solo.

As for the whole he's insincere because he's a Swedish man playing american folk thing. Since when could people not be influenced by music from other places? Rock & Roll was founded on white people shitting all over black music.
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 02/28/2014 17:15
  • Post subject:
I'm not even a massive fan of Smith but it's an easy vote for him.