Your most embarassing chart picks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
davidhuret

France

• Posted: 02/13/2014 09:35
  • Post subject:
No embarrassment with my charts and tastes, just room for improvement and fine-tuning.
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2014 02:10
  • Post subject:
Some people spit at the sight "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" at my #1 spot. I wouldn't say I'm embarrassed, though. I am extremely proud of that album and it means a lot to me!
panman36

United States

• Posted: 02/27/2014 17:15
  • Post subject:
I realize I'm kind of embarrassed just by the fact that I have a list Laughing I haven't shared this with anyone in my personal life and I don't think I intend to. Maybe my dad sometime... maybe

(also embarrassed by my spelling of embarassing in the thread title Neutral )
  • Visit poster's website
panman36

United States

• Posted: 02/27/2014 17:41
  • Post subject: Re: Your most embarassing chart picks
Trendall wrote:
I'm the same, I have three Dave Matthews Band albums in my top 100, two in the top 30. They were like, the band that I was into when I was a teenager. I don't think they're an uncool band necessarily, and I will defend their music, but they do have remarkably uncool fans. I can't forgive you for including Everyday though Wink. I never liked that one, too smooth and shiny.

There are three in my top 100 list that stand out like a sore thumb, and they're all albums that I really liked as a teenager and haven't listened to for a couple of years, and I suspect that when I get round to listening to them again, they'll drop off the list. They are -

Regina Spektor - Begin To Hope

I'm reminded of this thing that I read on rateyourmusic once by this guy alexdroogie, who says -

"But at the same time, there is the inescapable "quirkiness," a kind of alternative that appeals mainly to economically-secure white kids in the suburbs -- that is, she's odd enough (sometimes) to stand apart from most radio artist without being actually challenging. Which isn't necessarily bad, but it can often fall into the dangerous and diminutive realm of "cute.""

Regina Spektor is probably not that uncool, but she is not as cool as Tori Amos or whatever, and especially when you get to her later albums, there is too much of this needless quirkiness that all just seems a bit affected. Begin To Hope has some good songs though, and very pretty production. I don't understand words and lyrics and what good lyrics are meant to be, but from what I can tell she is also quite a strong lyricist.

That's funny. I was considering "Begin To Hope" as an album that could be toward the bottom of my Top 100 if and when I get around to making that. That's not that embarrassing I don't think. (Though a similar artist who is much much cooler is Bjork Wink )

I am impressed by your inclusion of "Surprise" so high. See my similar ranking of "You're The One." That was the first album I posted a review of to defend. "Surprise" would also be in my Top 100.

Given these similarities, I'm surprised we don't have more in common. But we really don't Sad
  • Visit poster's website
panman36

United States

• Posted: 03/02/2014 08:06
  • Post subject:
OK, I'll keep going. I'm kind of embarrassed that I haven't even heard of a lot of albums that are pretty high up on the list. Definitely the highest ranked album by an artist that I haven't even heard of is Neutral Milk Hotel at #18 Surprised Damn! Where was I in 1998?
  • Visit poster's website
Mdemauri

United States

• Posted: 03/02/2014 18:14
  • Post subject:
davidhuret wrote:
No embarrassment with my charts and tastes, just room for improvement and fine-tuning.

Agree 100%. I am only embarrassed that I gave up on music around 1991 for the most part. If you didn't have an album out before then I thought you sucked. I have changed my ways and have spent the last five years playing catch up.
  • Visit poster's website
Trendall

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/03/2014 00:58
  • Post subject: Re: Your most embarassing chart picks
panman36 wrote:
That's funny. I was considering "Begin To Hope" as an album that could be toward the bottom of my Top 100 if and when I get around to making that. That's not that embarrassing I don't think. (Though a similar artist who is much much cooler is Bjork Wink )

I am impressed by your inclusion of "Surprise" so high. See my similar ranking of "You're The One." That was the first album I posted a review of to defend. "Surprise" would also be in my Top 100.

Given these similarities, I'm surprised we don't have more in common. But we really don't Sad

I haven't listened to much Bjork, but Homogenic probably deserves to be on my charts somewhere. I'll give that one another listen. Haven't heard You're The One - I've actually been listening to a lot of Paul Simon recently so I'll probably get round to it fairly soon. Surprise is one of my favourite albums from when I was a teenager, so the reason that's ranked so high is probably part nostalgia, and partly because it's just a really good album. Lots of detail - every time I listen to it, I notice something that I hadn't heard before, and I like that in an album.

I think it is good to not have too much in common with people. If somebody has the exact same music taste as you do, then you can never discover anything new from them.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
latenighttv

• Posted: 03/05/2014 21:57
  • Post subject:
Should have my chart finished soon and there'll be some questionable selections on it but nothing I'd really feel embarrassed by (it's only music / the internet etc. after all Laughing )

A few 'marmite'-type albums I have are 'Valhalla Dancehall' by British Sea Power, 'Villains' by The Verve Pipe, and 'Word Gets Around' by Stereophonics.

It looks like I'll also have two albums by Shed Seven, who were unfairly derided / scapegoated by the UK music press during the '90s, but who possessed a couple of the best musicians of that whole era (especially their drummer Alan Leach; if you are an appreciator of drumwork check the band's albums out as he really is excellent).

That band's music (especially their singles output) seems to be doing reasonably well on RYM at the moment, though, so maybe they are becoming more okay to like now.
  • Visit poster's website