What is it with Magical Mystery Tour?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Ironic Karma

United States

• Posted: 08/01/2009 19:52
  • Post subject:
It's a good collection of the intrumental experimental Beatles, but other than that it's mostly fillers. "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "I Am the Walrus" are the two best tracks, IMO.

I never really enjoyed it that much, but it's a good thing to download free if you're bored.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
maxperenchio

• Posted: 08/10/2009 22:24
  • Post subject:
its a famously fragmented album- essentially a very hazy EP on side one coupled with a totally stunning, albeit unnaturally assembled, side two. I think the music itself, if released by a different band, would have been lifted to classic status- but with all the knowledge of Beatles, it kind of fits into their "fried, directionless, drugged out" period instead. Your Mother Should Know is a McCartney gem!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 03/18/2011 12:23
  • Post subject:
I have it at #14 on my chart. It blows my mind that people are trashing this masterpiece of an album. There are 5 classics on Magical Mystery Tour and the other 6 songs are very good ones. This is just Beatle hate and jealousy IMO. Great music is timeless, consider Bach, beethoven, and Brahms. Other than everybody's seemingly favorite, can do no wrong, band Radiohead of course. Please let me know all of the bands making albums today that have 5 timeless classic songs on them and no bad ones. Not talking

And all I got was this silly hat

• Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 03/18/2011 13:41
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
I have it at #14 on my chart. It blows my mind that people are trashing this masterpiece of an album. There are 5 classics on Magical Mystery Tour and the other 6 songs are very good ones. This is just Beatle hate and jealousy IMO. Great music is timeless, consider Bach, beethoven, and Brahms. Other than everybody's seemingly favorite, can do no wrong, band Radiohead of course. Please let me know all of the bands making albums today that have 5 timeless classic songs on them and no bad ones. Not talking

GARY it ain't no album. The Beatles album catalogue does not go 'Sgt. Peppers' - 'Magical Mystery Tour' 'The Beatles' It's either a double ep (1st release) or a compilation soundtrack (2nd) and you can tell. I agree it contains some amazing songs (penny lane is probably my #2 beatles song and I don't think I would call any of the others songs bad) but it's missing cohesion and thats not surprising considering these songs were recorded as exclusive singles. SO I would say yes it's an average at best album but a great set of songs. oh and if i were to answer the question in your last question I would probably be here a while.
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 03/18/2011 14:08
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
GARY wrote:

GARY it ain't no album. The Beatles album catalogue does not go 'Sgt. Peppers' - 'Magical Mystery Tour' 'The Beatles' It's either a double ep (1st release) or a compilation soundtrack (2nd) and you can tell. I agree it contains some amazing songs (penny lane is probably my #2 beatles song and I don't think I would call any of the others songs bad) but it's missing cohesion and thats not surprising considering these songs were recorded as exclusive singles. SO I would say yes it's an average at best album but a great set of songs. oh and if i were to answer the question in your last question I would probably be here a while.

Magical Mystery Tour is ranked #85 on this site.

All Music gave it 5/5 stars.

Blender gave it 5/5 stars.

Pitchfork media gave it 10/10 stars.

Good day sir.

• Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 03/18/2011 15:32
  • Post subject:
GARY wrote:
Jhereko wrote:
GARY wrote:

Good day sir.

pitchfork gave it 10/10?

I admit defeat then.

no wait a minute. I have my own opinion and that is what I stated above (albeit a little douchebaggishly)

Good to day to you sir.
GARY

Brunei Darussalam

• Posted: 03/18/2011 20:26
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
GARY wrote:
Jhereko wrote:
GARY wrote:

Good day sir.

pitchfork gave it 10/10?

I admit defeat then.

no wait a minute. I have my own opinion and that is what I stated above (albeit a little douchebaggishly)

Good to day to you sir.

No that's cool state your opinion of course, and however you want. You may be right who knows?

But look at my avatar. You know I must defend the 4 supreme beings of music. Angel

• Visit poster's website
Mr. Shankly

United States

• Posted: 03/29/2011 13:31
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
GARY wrote:
Not talking

That's a good point about the lack of cohesion. Still, it's a great collection of some of their singles from '67. Fool on the Hill is a pretty classic song too, and kind of an underrated Beatles gem.
  • Visit poster's website