Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Jasonconfused
If We Make It We Can All Sit Back and Laugh

United States

• Posted: 03/06/2014 23:09
  • Post subject:
lethalnezzle wrote:
It's just totally majestic. It's like the world stops when the vocals come in, and then the drums pound and you know everything is going to OK and then the guitar slides in and you're "going tooooo..." and you feel fucking magnificent and like the only person in the world. Possibly my favourite Beatles song. "Living is easy with eyes closed".

Lethal I want to trust you on this, but you have a way with words that could convince someone that Metal Machine Music is a masterpiece.
Goodsir

• Posted: 03/06/2014 23:26
  • Post subject:
drakonium wrote:
Yay! My second favorite Beatles album. I actually think its as cohesive as any of their other work, for some reason. It's always worked as an albm to me.

lethalnezzle wrote:
This, down to a tittle. It's even my second favourite Beatles album.

• Posted: 03/06/2014 23:33
  • Post subject:
Goodsir wrote:

Why do you quote people's posts so much without adding anything? Like, I understand its purpose, but you do it so often.

Anyways, just another Beatles album that isn't The White Album, lol. Strawberry Fields Forever really is fantastic, not much like it.
Goodsir

• Posted: 03/06/2014 23:39
  • Post subject:
BrandonMeow wrote:
Why do you quote people's posts so much without adding anything? Like, I understand its purpose, but you do it so often.

It kind of seemed necessary here, but I'll try to do it a bit less. Sorry.

• Posted: 03/06/2014 23:40
  • Post subject:
Goodsir wrote:
It kind of seemed necessary here, but I'll try to do it a bit less. Sorry.

No, it's okay, do it all you want, it's just something I've noticed you do a lot of. XD

• Posted: 03/07/2014 01:06
  • Post subject:
The first 6 songs form what is hands down the greatest collection of songs The Beatles ever produced, and among the greatest collections of songs in history. The opener is, to my mind, the quintessential opening track: the grand horn intro, the relentless drumbeat, the explosive chorus; it's all there. It feels like the first song in a musical. Even the lyrics are perfect, inviting you to come along on a magical, mysterious journey with them. "Fool on the Hill" and "Blue Jay Way" are positively chilling, and if you can't get down to "Your Mother Should Know" then you're sure as hell no friend of mine. "Flying" is pretty cutesy, but it's hard not to get into it. It's so...light. Like it actually makes me feel like I'm floating. And then there's "I Am the Walrus". By leaps and bounds my favorite Beatles song, this song is fucking massive. I mean, I would kill for the ability to write just one song with that kind of flawless structure; it's essentially a journey within itself. The lyrics are badass, too.

Now, about the second side. It's......alright. I'll pretty much echo what lethal said about "Strawberry Fields Forever". Like I said, "I Am the Walrus" is my favorite Beatles song, but "Strawberry Fields" is one of the top contenders for second. Aside from that, the second half is pretty weak. "Hello Goodbye" and "Penny Lane" are good as singles, but they don't fit the tone of the first half and just don't hold up in the context. "Baby You're a Rich Man" is mediocre and "All You Need Is Love" is legitimately one of my least favorite songs ever.

So yeah, it's frustrating. I wish they would have put some effort into making a solid second half, because I could practically guarantee this would have turned out to be my favorite Beatles album. Ah well. It's still a great album.
Bach

Italy

• Posted: 03/07/2014 11:37
  • Post subject:
75/100.
Best tracks: "Penny Lane", "Strawberry Fields Forever", "Blue Jay Way", "The Fool on the Hill".
  • Visit poster's website
Puncture Repair

• Posted: 03/07/2014 14:11
  • Post subject:
Eh, I'm not really a fan.

The opening song is good fun and 'Strawberry Fields Forever' and 'I Am The Walrus' are some of the Beatles best, but I don't care much for the rest.

Penny Lane is quaint I suppose, but Hello Goodbye just winds me up.
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 03/07/2014 19:12
  • Post subject:
swedenman wrote:
...and if you can't get down to "Your Mother Should Know" then you're sure as hell no friend of mine.

The Men Without Hats reference is doubly appropriate here, cause that song may well be the whitest in the Beatles catalog. I like it, though. Anxious
Perring

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/07/2014 19:49
  • Post subject:
My favourite beatles album.
Even though it's essentially just 2 EPs put together it's just as coherent as any of their other works.
I especially like Fool on the Hill, Your Mother should Know, Hello Goodbye and Penny Lane
  • Visit poster's website