• Post subject:
Answering the thread topic..... NONE
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2014 18:25
  • Post subject:
benpaco wrote:
You know, if you listen to where all of that music was rooted, most of those bands started as really just punk, some even pretty hardcore. It's strange to me how the bands changed to gain fame, as they had already been catching traction, at least locally. Ya know, to say that it was "West Coast Pop Punk" isn't neccessarily fair, as a lot of the bands really did start to get fame via punk, and a lot of bands stayed punk. You can hear where the pop-punk starts to come in with such still classic punk bands as the following:

I definitely know all about this stuff. It was a huge part of my life. There's definitely a distinction between what was coming out of the west coast vs east coast or Europe when it comes to punk, although the influences circulated.

Punk has always been an ill-defined term that was thrown at bands that never asked for it. As much as early Green Day may have been influenced by bands such as Bad Religion and Wire, they were always heavily influenced by The Kinks and the Who, which are not considered punk. Green Day is really just a pop rock band influenced by punk and british invasion rock.

But this all goes to show how genre labels are not all that important and only tell a small portion of a story
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/06/2014 18:29
  • Post subject:
Quote:
Green Day is really just a pop rock band influenced by punk and british invasion rock.

This. Same goes for Blink-182, Sum41, etc. Pop-punk at least as a genre indicator had always meant to describe punk bands who employed pop hooks and melodies which happened to be heavy into what the Ramones sounded like. This definition never died, teenage journalism just ruined it, and bands like Teenage Bottlerocket or The Lillingtons get swept under due to bands like Taking Back Sunday or All Time Low getting thought of a genre they did not play. Pop-rock and power pop are not bad labels, people need to remember that.

Quote:
But this all goes to show how genre labels are not all that important

I think it varies from person to person; personally I don't find genres "all important" but I do find myself fascinated to the point I defend their utility and history.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 04/06/2014 18:38
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
I definitely know all about this stuff. It was a huge part of my life. There's definitely a distinction between what was coming out of the west coast vs east coast or Europe when it comes to punk, although the influences circulated.

Punk has always been an ill-defined term that was thrown at bands that never asked for it. As much as early Green Day may have been influenced by bands such as Bad Religion and Wire, they were always heavily influenced by The Kinks and the Who, which are not considered punk. Green Day is really just a pop rock band influenced by punk and british invasion rock.

But this all goes to show how genre labels are not all that important and only tell a small portion of a story

Agreed, and I didn't mean that as an attack on you or anything if it came across like that. It's hard to label genres, in this case it's almost better to just go by record label, I'd say calling Green Day a Lookout! Record band sums them up better than most genres would.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 04/06/2014 18:44
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:

I think it varies from person to person; personally I don't find genres "all important" but I do find myself fascinated to the point I defend their utility and history.

I absolutely agree. Though genres may not be terribly important for the listening experience, I think they can be tremendously useful in understanding music history, a topic that obviously interests me.

But yeah, virtually anything that crosses over to mainstream radio play will have to make "adjustments" that will upset genre purists. I would be less hesitant to label Green Day as "punk" or "pop punk" than some, mainly because the masses consumed it under that label. Or, to quote mecca,

Quote:
I can accept Green Day being classified as punk since it's their being branded as punk that led me to what we'd both be more readily willing to accept as actual punk rock.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/06/2014 19:11
  • Post subject:
*shrug* I liked the Ramones and Bad Religion before I came around to Green Day.

Quote:
mainly because the masses consumed it under that label.

The masses perception and ignorance bothers me too much to "accept" such "mislabeling", it's not a case of purism in my mind but of accurate knowledge and perception. But this is obvious from my emo rant a month back and so forth.
  • Visit poster's website

• Posted: 04/06/2014 20:47
  • Post subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_change