Album of the day (#1244): Powerslave by Iron Maiden

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
Goodsir

• Posted: 04/20/2014 22:51
  • Post subject:
BrandonMiaow wrote:
Dude, chill out O_O People should be able to be apathetic about records you like without you going all crazy-Goodsir on 'em.

Ah sorry Embarassed
We PMed and everything is fine
Again, let's not make this about me, don't derail the thread. It's all good though! Smile
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 04/20/2014 22:54
  • Post subject:
Goodsir wrote:
Ah sorry Embarassed
We PMed and everything is fine
Again, let's not make this about me, don't derail the thread. It's all good though! Smile

Are you JMan? Very JMan-esque just saying.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/20/2014 23:23
  • Post subject:
It's over and under the rug, don't try to provoke anything more. Neutral
  • Visit poster's website
Happymeal

• Posted: 04/20/2014 23:42
  • Post subject:
While I love Iron Maiden, they work better with compilations for me (I prefer most of their singles over everything else they do). However, the album by them that works best for me by them is Piece of Mind; it really pieces together great melody and amazing instrument playing on all fronts. I think it puts together their best strengths, but this album is good too.

Just to clarify, almost everything by Iron Maiden up to No Prayer for the Dying (with the exception of Brave Neq\w World) works amazingly well for heavy metal. This particular band is amazing, but I just think they work better without all the excess songs (that's not to say they pack albums with 20 different songs; I just think that their best work, which happens to be their singles, works so much better than anything else that it's easier to just pick up a best of and listen to it).
RepoMan

• Posted: 04/21/2014 07:13
  • Post subject:
Happymeal wrote:
While I love Iron Maiden, they work better with compilations for me (I prefer most of their singles over everything else they do).

Iron Maiden as a singles band! Love it!

Up the Irons, Happymeal!
RepoMan

• Posted: 04/21/2014 07:34
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
I never thought I'd see an Iron Maiden album as aotd... Sad

Personally, I loved seeing this as the AOTD! Definitely, one of the most important albums from the 80s when Iron Maiden were at their peak and hugely influential on the sound at that time. Any discussion of music from the 80s has to include the huge popularity of heavy metal just as any discussion of the 90s would include grunge.

In regards to Maiden, Killers is their best. Just like Motörhead's Overkill, the aggression of punk is written all over it. I love when genres start to blur.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 04/21/2014 21:28
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
Personally, I loved seeing this as the AOTD! Definitely, one of the most important albums from the 80s when Iron Maiden were at their peak and hugely influential on the sound at that time. Any discussion of music from the 80s has to include the huge popularity of heavy metal just as any discussion of the 90s would include grunge.

In regards to Maiden, Killers is their best. Just like Motörhead's Overkill, the aggression of punk is written all over it. I love when genres start to blur.

I feel if you like Maiden for their rawness and such then Killers (or Iron Maiden) is certainly what a person would view as their favorite. However, for something a bit more focused on melody and more cohesive arrangements I think Powerslave (or Seventh Son) is probably viewed as a persons favorite. I fall more into the latter than the former but certainly still dig the first two records quite a bit.
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 04/22/2014 11:17
  • Post subject:
Gowienczyk wrote:
I feel if you like Maiden for their rawness and such then Killers (or Iron Maiden) is certainly what a person would view as their favorite. However, for something a bit more focused on melody and more cohesive arrangements I think Powerslave (or Seventh Son) is probably viewed as a persons favorite. I fall more into the latter than the former but certainly still dig the first two records quite a bit.

I completely agree! I got a chance to give Powerslave a spin for the first time in years and was blown away all over again by the incredible production and arrangements. The pure craftsmanship was a marvel. If I had to choose one album that best captures the "sound" of Iron Maiden for a rock historical museum, this would be it. As you guessed, I prefer my metal a little raw and rough around the edges, so for me, Killers and s/t it is.
rainingblood

• Posted: 04/24/2014 12:56
  • Post subject:
Nearly all maiden is bad and it sounds like it tastes like 4 week old olive juice, it isn't heavy unless you don't listen to actual heavy music

exogenisis part 1 is heavier than maiden

flash of the blade is ok until the vocals come in, jesus christ those vocals are a dumb redneck's wet dream
  • Visit poster's website
drakonium
coucou

France

• Posted: 04/24/2014 13:03
  • Post subject:
I had almost missed you.
  • Visit poster's website