Swans Albums

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 05/13/2014 13:29
  • Post subject:
I'm among the many who would recommend starting with Children of God. It's far easier to devour than Filth. And I think because it's a transitional sound, it's a good starting point to go in either direction. Plus it's just one of the best albums ever recorded
  • Visit poster's website
newbands1

• Posted: 05/14/2014 06:53
  • Post subject:
Just finished listening to the new album.Sprawling epic as would expect from Swans.The thing is ever since soundtracks there is the need to top or equal that album since My Father was met with mixed reception and they did that with The Seer and that worked out well for them then now they're doing that again

granted its a different beast as some would consider this a sister album to The Seer.But does the music they make require the album to always be lengthy?Some reviews have pointed out that the centre piece tracks(Bring the Sun" / "Toussaint L'Ouverture,She Loves Us) on each disc repeats sounds and ideas used and I would have to agree with those criticisms.

Last edited by newbands1 on 05/14/2014 16:17; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Boogn1sh

• Posted: 05/14/2014 16:11
  • Post subject:
Really really like the new album. I saw one review that negatively compared bits of it to longer renditions of The Doors The End...anyone who would say that with a negative connotation has a musical opinion I would put zero trust in. Also gotta mention The Guardians review "To Be Kind is uncompromising to the point of overindulgence"...this person clearly hasn't listened to much Swans as I found this album instantly digestible compared to many of their earlier works.

As for overall, I prefer the aesthetic of the newer Swans stuff. A lot of the older stuff sounds more gothy and industrial, just doesn't have as much pull to me. I would say work your way backwards from the newest, would be a good introduction and primer for the older stuff.
  • Visit poster's website