Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/01/2014 14:01
  • Post subject:
AgainstMeAgainstYou wrote:
I know I won't be looking at many coherent albums, even into the early '60s. It's hard to find much pre-Rubber Soul that the artist would say they went into with the inherent objective of creating a cohesive album, meant to be listened to song-for-song and in order. If I were to estimate, I'm sure I'll come across <100 albums that share those qualities with albums like Rubber Soul before I reach 1960.

Funny enough. Rubber Soul wasn't approached this way either. Really. The whole cohesive rock album thing pretty much started with Sgt Pepper's and Pet Sounds. Before that, the US and European releases were quite different. Different songs, different orders. Luck up the US and British tracklists of Rubber Soul. Quite a bit different.
  • Visit poster's website
AgainstMeAgainstYou

Canada

• Posted: 06/01/2014 14:02
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Funny enough. Rubber Soul wasn't approached this way either. Really. The whole cohesive rock album thing pretty much started with Sgt Pepper's and Pet Sounds. Before that, the US and European releases were quite different. Different songs, different orders. Luck up the US and British tracklists of Rubber Soul. Quite a bit different.

Oh I know about UK/US differences. The US Beatles albums are awful IMO.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/01/2014 14:08
  • Post subject:
Oh I know about UK/US differences. The US Beatles albums are awful IMO.

Yeah. They just followed different philosophies regarding singles. I think in some ways it made sense that record companies wouldn't want to waste the money re-pressing the same exact songs, especially since it was still a singles era.
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 06/01/2014 19:32
  • Post subject:
Quote:
I have actually heard Dust Bowl Ballads, it's the oldest album I own (by about 15 years, too) and my favourite album pre-Kind of Blue. Brilliant, brilliant album, and very impactful for me as someone who loves to listen to - and is writing - a concept album.

The Almanac Singers (Pete Seeger and Woody Guthrie's group) also released some albums during this period, notably Talking Union and Songs for John Doe. Worth checking out if you can find them.

I know I won't be looking at many coherent albums, even into the early '60s. It's hard to find much pre-Rubber Soul that the artist would say they went into with the inherent objective of creating a cohesive album, meant to be listened to song-for-song and in order.

IMO, most of the best albums prior to that were jazz albums. Kind of Blue occurred during a major creative peak in US jazz and is really only a small slice of a much bigger pie, so you should have fun exploring that.