The Listening Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
View previous topic :: View next topic
Dingerbell

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/17/2014 22:28
  • Post subject:
SuedeSwede wrote:
Just wait until you get to the extreme metal picks in the RYM top 1000, heh.

Looking forward to them the most, although I have heard some of them. The thing is, extreme metal done well is fucking amazing, but I have a fine line between metal I love and metal I think is average. And NowhereMan, if you can honestly listen to all the metal albums and not like at least one of them, well that would be hugely unfortunate. And the thing about Loveless (well, for me at least) is that it grows and grows on you and then one day you realise "fuck, this is the greatest thing ever".
  • Visit poster's website
NowhereMan

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/17/2014 22:45
  • Post subject:
Dingerbell wrote:
Looking forward to them the most, although I have heard some of them. The thing is, extreme metal done well is fucking amazing, but I have a fine line between metal I love and metal I think is average. And NowhereMan, if you can honestly listen to all the metal albums and not like at least one of them, well that would be hugely unfortunate. And the thing about Loveless (well, for me at least) is that it grows and grows on you and then one day you realise "fuck, this is the greatest thing ever".

I will definitely be revisiting - I'm a slow listener and re-listen to certain works time and time again before I determine a conclusive opinion. I'm just jumping the gun a bit here!

#1-#100 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=3641

#101-#200 https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=49444

Check Me Out! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 09/18/2014 04:42
  • Post subject:
A quick summary of our session with Abbey Road:

Reactions to the first side were mixed and varied from track-to-track. "Octopus' Garden" ("kiddy music") drew ire from some, as did "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" ("granny music"). Most of the listeners seemed to be in the "good, but not great" camp for the first half. The second-half medley was greeted with near-unanimous love, however, especially the last few tracks. Several people noted that this was the Beatles' most classic-rock-sounding album.

As for me personally, I think this is one of the Beatles' best and it sits comfortably in the middle of my overall chart at the moment. There was a period when it was my favorite Beatles album, but I've been leaning towards Sgt. Pepper lately. I'll admit that this was far from the best listen, since Wish You Were Here had me a bit weary on classic rock by the time we started Abbey Road. Even so, it's a masterpiece.
RepoMan

• Posted: 09/18/2014 06:33
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
Reactions to the first side were mixed and varied from track-to-track. "Octopus' Garden" ("kiddy music") drew ire from some, as did "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" ("granny music"). Most of the listeners seemed to be in the "good, but not great" camp for the first half. The second-half medley was greeted with near-unanimous love, however, especially the last few tracks. Several people noted that this was the Beatles' most classic-rock-sounding album.

Yeah, I have mixed reactions to the first side of Abbey Road too. Some of it sounds like novelty music and pretty kitschy at that. I really have to be in the right mood for that first side. The second side though is clear masterpiece material, and perhaps their best album side of their music period. Abbey Road used to be my favorite Beatles album too, but because the first side often comes across as novelty music, I'd now put Revolver, The White Album, Rubber Soul, and Sgt. Pepper (in that order) over it.

VU & Nico > Darkside > OK Computer > Wish You Were Here > Abbey Road
RepoMan

• Posted: 09/18/2014 07:54
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
That's sort of the thing about that record. At the time it didn't really sound like anything else at the time. And now, there's been so many musicians who grew up with that record that these ideas are far more common, and hearing OK Computer for the first time in 2014 becomes less meaningful.

I was 15 when OK Computer was released. We didn't have the internet and music blogs and what not to tell us what was cool. Teeangers in the US relied on shit like MTV, Rolling Stone and SPIN, so stuff like Spiritualized, Portishead, Godspeed were totally off the radar. Most of what was being played to the mainstream was Smash Mouth, No Doubt, 311, Foo Fighters, Sugar Ray, Stone Temple Pilots, Lenny Kravitz, so imagine that moment when the truly weird "Paranoid Android" video premieres on MTV in contrast to all of that stuff.

Agree with everything except the point about SPIN. SPIN back then was pretty much what Pitchfork is today (except with far superior writing & reviews). Reading that alone during the 90s would keep you pretty well abreast of bands like Spiritualized, Portishead, Godspeed and the like. Even so, OK Computer sounded like nothing else when it dropped maybe especially because it was such a radical departure from The Bends. So much of listening to an album is your own expectations going in. I loved The Bends and thus, baggaged with expecting The Bends part II, I totally didn't get OK Computer at first. It's one of those albums that you need to be patient with, letting the sounds come to you. Plus, it's production was like a heavy blanket (like the gravitational field was cranked up making it a struggle for the sounds to escape) compared to The Bends more typical Alt Nation sheen. Like U2's Achtung Baby ~ ten years prior, it was difficult to escape OK Computer the year it came out. And that's the only comparison I'll ever make between those two albums. LOL. Yeah, kind of amazing considering its complete overexposure, how fresh it still sounds. One of the perks of not listening to the radio perhaps.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/18/2014 12:47
  • Post subject:
RepoMan wrote:
Yeah, I have mixed reactions to the first side of Abbey Road too. Some of it sounds like novelty music and pretty kitschy at that.

The funny thing is that looking back at Beatles records, McCartney often throws in something kitschy that can kill the whole vibe, but he's the one most responsible for the magic of the second side of Abbey Road.

The perfection of the 2nd side along with Harrison's "Something" and Lennon's "Come Together" and "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" is enough to make Abbey Road my favorite Beatles album, even if it's followed very closely by Revolver and the White Album.
  • Visit poster's website
Precedent

• Posted: 09/26/2014 23:30
  • Post subject:
Always looking for more people to be apart of the Skype group. PM me if you'd like to be apart of this.
eyezayzay

United States

• Posted: 10/19/2014 19:00
  • Post subject:
Bring it back, master.
  • Visit poster's website