37%
 37%  [15]
Total Votes : 40

sp4cetiger

• Posted: 12/16/2014 13:57
  • Post subject:
Kool Keith Sweat wrote:
Real Estate looks better on paper.

That's definitely the best way to experience them.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 12/16/2014 16:27
  • Post subject:
Mac DeMarco's set was one of the highlights of this year's Rock en Seine, and I actually prefer both 2 and Salad Days to Atlas, but the first two Real Estate albums are just too excellent and make this an easy vote for me..

I don't know, when I first listened to Real Estate back in '11, I had that feeling that they're nothing more than a kind of "musical wallpaper" that people accuse bands like Coldplay being (with a notable difference that they're "indie" and Pitchfork love them). But they still struck a chord with me, and I ended up listening to that album (Days) every time I felt like chilling out a bit, it felt like the best kind of music for that purpose. Contrary to my expectations I never got bored of it, quite the opposite, I'm listening to them more than ever lately, and it made want to find other bands that would fit the same mould.

Quite exactly what this is, I'm still figuring out, but on both of the first two albums they go for a certain vibe - something nostalgia inducing, something that paints the picture of suburban kids chilling out on a beach during the summer, wasting their days aimlessly. Musically I can say that more that I listened to them, the richer I found their sound to be. I love how the two guitars interplay, nevermind the fact that I'm a sucker for the "jangly" tone of them. I love how they manage to sound quite... "surfy" (?) on some tracks, even though they don't really use the same kind of guitar effects than most those bands. I love how the drums sound on several songs off the s/t album (see below for examples, I can't describe what I mean here. But I think it's just the lo-fi sound that they have). And unlike some other similar bands that I have found so far (e.g. Beach Fossils), their songs feature just one excellent and catchy hook after another...

I don't know, I just really love this band. Here's some of my favourite tracks

Link

Link

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
RepoMan

• Posted: 12/16/2014 17:04
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:

I don't know, when I first listened to Real Estate back in '11, I had that feeling that they're nothing more than a kind of "musical wallpaper" that people accuse bands like Coldplay being (with a notable difference that they're "indie" and Pitchfork love them). But they still struck a chord with me, and I ended up listening to that album (Days) every time I felt like chilling out a bit, it felt like the best kind of music for that purpose. Contrary to my expectations I never got bored of it, quite the opposite, I'm listening to them more than ever lately, and it made want to find other bands that would fit the same mould.

Quite exactly what this is, I'm still figuring out, but on both of the first two albums they go for a certain vibe - something nostalgia inducing, something that paints the picture of suburban kids chilling out on a beach during the summer, wasting their days aimlessly. Musically I can say that more that I listened to them, the richer I found their sound to be. I love how the two guitars interplay, nevermind the fact that I'm a sucker for the "jangly" tone of them. I love how they manage to sound quite... "surfy" (?) on some tracks, even though they don't really use the same kind of guitar effects than most those bands. I love how the drums sound on several songs off the s/t album (see below for examples, I can't describe what I mean here. But I think it's just the lo-fi sound that they have). And unlike some other similar bands that I have found so far (e.g. Beach Fossils), their songs feature just one excellent and catchy hook after another...

I don't know, I just really love this band.

What he said. Very Happy

@Loveless: I was kind of disappointed with Atlas too at first. It's really growing on me though which I find to usually b a really good sign. Wouldn't b surprised if it's one of my faves of 2014 in a year's time.