Chart Study #7: Skinny

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 05/21/2015 13:13
  • Post subject:
Skinny wrote:
I guess I was speaking in a more contextual sense when I said "interesting". I mean, in order for me to enjoy music it has to hold my interest, at least 95% of the time anyway (I guess I do often let music wash over me, but even then it has to interest me otherwise it's pretty worthless). I don't think the two are in any way mutually exclusive - although I would say that good music is interesting music, whereas the reverse isn't always true. I don't know, "enjoyment" seems like a completely subjective thing, whereas the vast majority of us here can probably agree that the way Oval's 94diskont or Basinski's Disintegration Loops were put together was interesting, whether it's music we like or not. But no, I don't give any weight whatsoever to how interesting something is when I add it to my chart - it's completely based on how much I enjoy something, though how much I enjoy something is often heavily based on how interesting I find it. Sorry for the vague, muddled, incoherent answer. It's a difficult question.

I'm not sure I would know how to answer it either, so no worries. It's the kind of thing I puzzle over a lot with relatively little success.

Anyway, shifting gears a bit, you were known in the past for leaving comments about charts being "too white" or being filled with BAWP (Boring Ass White Person) music. You've since sworn off this activity, but I'm curious how much you think race politics continues to influence the way you view music. You have a mix of black and white artists on your chart, but the music you have from white artists tends to be gentle, playful, or intellectual, mostly lacking the straightforward aggression of albums like Pinata or TPAB. You once remarked of Never Mind the Bollocks that its "power chord anger reeks of school bullies," but more direct expressions of actual violence from black hip-hop artists don't seem to phase you.

I'm sure this isn't something you think through consciously most of the time, but if you can, I'd love to hear any insight you have into the evolution of your perceptions of the interplay between race politics and music.
Satie

• Posted: 05/21/2015 23:02
  • Post subject:
Not a wider question about your taste, though I will get around to asking one, but have you listened to Molly Drake? Your consistent approval of Nick Drake makes me think her works would be appealing to you. She is of course a very different sort of artist, and probably unfairly tethered to the work of her son, but what Nick does for exploring the melancholy, isolation, and bittersweet hope of mental illness, specifically his depression, Molly does for exploring those same elements in femininity and domesticity. More interesting is the vague claustrophobia of her recordings along with their "caged bird singing" ascendancy. This is either a cause or effect of the fact that these recordings were largely kept in the home until later excavated for a wider release, but I'd love to hear your thoughts after hearing them if you have not already.