Death to neo-liberalism

View previous topic :: View next topic
andyw110183

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/10/2015 06:26
  • Post subject: Death to neo-liberalism
So...... In British politics this week, we've had the first all Conservative party budget in about 20 years. For those of you who are unaware, the unemployed, low paid, sick and disabled have been hit hardest, all to fund a cut in inheritance tax for the rich.

I am absolutely disgusted but not surprised, as I expected this much from a bunch of self serving, neo liberals.

Although personally, I will not be affected by this budget, I pray for my fellow countrymen who will.

Austerity is the biggest con of all time, where money is stolen from the poor, to line the pockets of the rich.

Sad times indeed!!

Hopefully Scottish independence comes sooner rather than later.
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/10/2015 19:25
  • Post subject:
Yeah they do still seem ideologically obsessed with rolling back the state and it's a shame the recession has given them the perfect cover to do it. Pretending like they're making really hard decisions when actually they're loving every minute of it ha Confused

Introducing the living wage wasn't very neoliberal though.. in principle I agree with raising tax free threshold+ increasing minimum wage and letting people earn more of their income through wages than benefits, but it definitely seems like a lot or working people are going to be made much worse off by the benefit changes so it doesn't really balance..

Raising inheritance tax free allowance is stupid. It's supposed to benefit the top 5% estates in this country and those people don't really need a tax break tbh just why. At least they kept the 45% tax rate, for now
andyw110183

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/10/2015 19:40
  • Post subject:
Agreed about the living wage, it's a good thing company's will have to pay more thus reducing the states working tax credit costs. However the wage rises won't cover the loss in tax credits. Effectively the low paid will be worse off at the end of the day.

With in-work poverty, and the use of food banks at record levels, things will only get worse.

Maybe the government should try to claw back some of the 40 billion pounds lost every year from multinational company tax avoidance, rather than targeting 2 billion lost in benefit fraud.
  • Visit poster's website
HigherThanTheSun

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/10/2015 19:46
  • Post subject:
andyw110183 wrote:
Agreed about the living wage, it's a good thing company's will have to pay more thus reducing the states working tax credit costs. However the wage rises won't cover the loss in tax credits. Effectively the low paid will be worse off at the end of the day.

Yeah, this is what I meant. If it balanced out for low earning working people then I'd be completely for it but it definitely seems like most low earning working people, especially part time workers, are going to be significantly worse off which is shit

At the same time they want to raise threshold for when you start paying higher rate to 40k so these people will be benefiting from this as well as raising tax free allowance, when they don't need a tax break at all. It's crazy
andyw110183

United Kingdom

• Posted: 07/10/2015 20:07
  • Post subject:
Yes mate the country has went "batshit" crazy.
  • Visit poster's website