A Metal Club

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
View previous topic :: View next topic
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 08/20/2015 22:21
  • Post subject:
BurningBright wrote:
Yeah I'd say The Final Frontier was one of my favorites of 2010. When The Wild Wind Blows was a great closer, and The Talisman was terrific! (Not to mention the artwork was amazing as well!)
THE WILD WIND YES! I would say without a doubt their best since Brave New World, maybe best since Seventh Son. Like, if that was Maiden's actual last album I wouldn't have been upset because it was so good.
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 08/22/2015 04:41
  • Post subject:

Crimson Glory by Crimson Glory

Flooring between the sounds of Fates Warning and Judas Priest, Crimson Glory came out the door of cental Florida with a dynamic identity that would set a standard in the growing progressive metal scene and along with Queensryche and Fate’s Warning created a legacy that would go on to inspire countless progressive and heavy metal bands throughout the following decades. Perhaps not their “opus” the Crimson Glory s/t was a powerful debut that is very much by my opinion a metal standard. A lot of fun but always engaging.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 08/28/2015 08:54
  • Post subject:

Graceful Inheritance by Heir Apparent

As far as traditional heavy metal is concerned to the mass public, I like to think Graceful Inheritance is an underrated gem that should be talked about a little more often. Everybody knows the great mainstream canon of Maiden-Preist-Metallica-Megadeth and so forth, but how often do they dig into the balls out riffwork that their slightly lesser known contemporaries were achieving at the same time? Perhaps not the metal album of the year with the most bite, but there’s a lot to love here if you like thundering guitar-based romps. Basically it’s really really good.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 09/28/2015 00:58
  • Post subject:
I feel like this shouldn't be dead.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 09/28/2015 01:01
  • Post subject:
I've been listening to a bit more metal than usual lately and planning on diving in and listening to it predominately to flesh out my knowledge of some of the key movements that I find interesting during October, since it seems thematically appropriate. I've got a list for black metal and a list for death metal that I'll be working through, but it seems like the people I know who are into black metal don't know a bunch about the NWOBHM influences on first wave stuff. I've heard Motorhead and Venom are the two most oft-cited, but if anyone has any NWOBHM or First Wave Black Metal that sounds a lot like Mercyful Fate's Don't Break the Oath, I'd love to give it a shot.
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 09/28/2015 19:00
  • Post subject:
permafrost wrote:
I've been listening to a bit more metal than usual lately and planning on diving in and listening to it predominately to flesh out my knowledge of some of the key movements that I find interesting during October, since it seems thematically appropriate. I've got a list for black metal and a list for death metal that I'll be working through, but it seems like the people I know who are into black metal don't know a bunch about the NWOBHM influences on first wave stuff. I've heard Motorhead and Venom are the two most oft-cited, but if anyone has any NWOBHM or First Wave Black Metal that sounds a lot like Mercyful Fate's Don't Break the Oath, I'd love to give it a shot.

Alright, I’m going to try to expand on this since Nech hasn’t shown up with any kind of perspective. Makes me wish Fei and Stasis followed us to this website, because there’d be bounds of picks they could offer us. From what I’ve been reading and by proxy re-listening to I have some answers to this one. The forefathers of Black Metal are pretty cut and dry (Venom, Celtic Frost, Hellhammer, and Bathory) but you can grasp that understanding from an article on wikipedia or other standardized websites. Black Metal owes a lot to the speed-oriented artists that came out of thrash and death metal which directly can be tracked back to Discharge’s Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing. I could dig through a list of early formative bands that were traditional heavy or thrash/death in sound like Satan, Mercyful Fate, Sarcófago, Exciter, Possessed, Angel Witch, Cirith Ungol, Holocausto, Morbid Saint, Morbid Angel, Vulcano, Mystifier, Blasphhemy, and some others.

This brings me an idea to actually start a general metal thread, though.
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 09/28/2015 19:20
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Alright, I’m going to try to expand on this since Nech hasn’t shown up with any kind of perspective. Makes me wish Fei and Stasis followed us to this website, because there’d be bounds of picks they could offer us. From what I’ve been reading and by proxy re-listening to I have some answers to this one. The forefathers of Black Metal are pretty cut and dry (Venom, Celtic Frost, Hellhammer, and Bathory) but you can grasp that understanding from an article on wikipedia or other standardized websites. Black Metal owes a lot to the speed-oriented artists that came out of thrash and death metal which directly can be tracked back to Discharge’s Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing. I could dig through a list of early formative bands that were traditional heavy or thrash/death in sound like Satan, Mercyful Fate, Sarcófago, Exciter, Possessed, Angel Witch, Cirith Ungol, Holocausto, Morbid Saint, Morbid Angel, Vulcano, Mystifier, Blasphemy, and some others.

I've heard and loved or heard of and plan to listen to bolded, but I'll check out those others, too. Thanks for the response.

Quote:
This brings me an idea to actually start a general metal thread, though.

Oh, I was always under the impression this was a general metal thread! Embarassed