Album of the day (#1764): Loaded by The Velvet Underground

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Satie

• Posted: 09/29/2015 00:21
  • Post subject:
shaydndepriest wrote:
hey man, don't knock the third album. one of the best albums that really explores the "indie pop" sound as we know it today.

the indie pop sound today is terrible, though
Precedent

• Posted: 09/29/2015 01:00
  • Post subject:
It's good, but I never feel a need to revisit it.
PsychologistHD

United States

• Posted: 09/29/2015 01:34
  • Post subject:
permafrost wrote:

Belle & Sebastian, Vampire Weekend, Real Estate, Mac Demarco, Beach House (lel), and Allo Darlin? I'll take it.
  • Visit poster's website
FlorianJones

United States

• Posted: 09/29/2015 03:45
  • Post subject:
permafrost wrote:
like the one preceding it, kind of a huge slump in quality

What!? The third Velvets album is an absolute masterpiece. Easily one of my top ten favorite albums ever. Loaded isn't as good, but coming off of a perfect album, that's expected. Also, I agree with others who have defended it in that it completely sets up the framework for modern indie rock and pop. I'd even argue that it's influence has been just as large as their debut, even if that influence is a little less obvious because of how long it took to come into effect. After Hours alone created the entire genre of twee. Also, I just want to vouch for The Murder Mystery which I think gets some unfair maligning. It's just as good as anything from White Light / White Heat, which is the album it was originally written for.

I realize I just spent a post talking about the wrong Velvets album, but considering the massive derailment of the Nevermind thread, I think I'm all right.
LittleM1971

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/29/2015 08:41
  • Post subject:
Loaded is a good album for me that falls short of being great.
  • Visit poster's website
Decurso

Canada

• Posted: 09/29/2015 11:51
  • Post subject:
One of the most aptly titled albums ever. It IS loaded! As others have said, it is more pop-oriented and less edgy than their previous stuff, but it's still my second favourite after their first.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/29/2015 15:26
  • Post subject:
permafrost wrote:

Let's not blame Velvet Underground for Real Estate or Vampire Weekend. Their last 2 records were more responsible for setting the foundation for a band like Pavement
  • Visit poster's website
Satie

• Posted: 09/29/2015 15:45
  • Post subject:
to be fair, i wasn't the one accusing the Velvet Underground of having anything to do with the rotting stench of unattended garbage that 2010s indie rock and pop music is Razz

my dislike of the self-titled and Loaded is purely subjective, and i don't seek to knock their influence or pretend that there's some like cosmic reason everyone should burn the records immediately. i just really prefer the sound of the debut and WLWH. it's stayed fresh over the years. TVU have been one of my favorite bands if not my single favorite band since I can remember giving a shit about music as an art form. i've listened to each record dozens and dozens of times, and i know a lot of people here have, too. we've come to different conclusions in our extensive (over-)exposure to the band's music, that's all. i can still listen to TVU&N and feel the same thrill when the opening chain rattling of "Venus in Furs" rises from the murky depths to dominate me, feel the same admiration and perplexity at Nico's glacial but paradoxically sorrowful and full voice, and completely zone out to "European Son." all the songs on the self-titled and Loaded just feel a little used up to me at this point. i don't find new discoveries or old warmth when i listen to them, and i think the lack of variety hurts them a lot. it doesn't even need to come in the form of an avant-gardist or two. in fact, the stab at such in the form of "Murder Mystery Party," while a good song, feels so ridiculously out of place that I wish it had just stayed on an outtakes compilation if they weren't going to try to integrate some other material of that nature into the album. then again, a lot of sacred cow '60s albums are fucking terrible at sequencing and track selection, so i can't fault the band too much for that decision. just kinda stating my preference. there are definitely key tracks that are representative of the sounds of the last two albums as a whole that, had they been reworked a bit and shuffled together with some more varied material, would be pretty exciting.
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 09/29/2015 15:52
  • Post subject:
permafrost wrote:
to be fair, i wasn't the one accusing the Velvet Underground of having anything to do with the rotting stench of unattended garbage that 2010s indie rock and pop music is Razz

my dislike of the self-titled and Loaded is purely subjective, a

Yeah, my response wasn't intentionally directed at you, but rather should have been towards shaydndepriest.

It's definitely hard to compare Loaded to those earlier VU albums since they're such masterpieces.

I agree about sequencing in the 60s. It definitely has a lot to do with the format still being new and the market only very slowly shifting away from singles. I imagine the artists had far less control over their work than the labels back then as well. Just another reason why stuff like Sgt Pepper, Pet Sounds, Dark Side of the Moon were so important at their times
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/29/2015 16:16
  • Post subject:
Key example of bad sequencing in the 60's: Transition from I Want You to Here Comes The Sun. So ugly.

I used to dislike Loaded, think I had it in my "worst albums ever" chart based off of what was possibly one or two listens back in like 2012. Tried it again recently and it really is very good. I'd opt for Cale and Reed over Yule and Reed but the latter were nothing to sniff at either. With some better marketing this album could probably have been a real hit.
  • Visit poster's website