TOP 10 HIP HOP of 2015

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic
Lachapelle

Canada

• Posted: 01/08/2016 21:44
  • Post subject:
Some honorable mentions..

These are all dope albums too but didn't make my top 10.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
undefined

• Posted: 01/08/2016 21:49
  • Post subject:
I'll be back with some thoughts on these so as not to just drop a list and leave without comment, but currently said list would look something like this

1. Busdriver - Thumbs
2. Milo - So the Flies Don't Come
3. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
4. Earl Sweatshirt - I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside / Solace EP
5. Lil Ugly Mane - Third Side Of Tape
6. Scarface - Deeply Rooted
7. Nickelus F & Shawn Kemp - Trick Dice
8. Le1f - Riot Boi
9. Dr. Yen Lo - Days With Dr. Yen Lo
10. Slim Thug - Hogg Life: The Beginning
Satie

• Posted: 01/08/2016 22:01
  • Post subject:
See my post "Satie's Year in Hip Hop" for a more extensive write-up of my 2015 travels with hip hop. As I mention there, I didn't listen to much. Still, my top hip hop albums would be

1. Fetty Wap - Fetty Wap
2. Future Brown - Future Brown
3. Sicko Mobb - Super Saiyan, Vol. 2
4. Gaika - Machine
5. Future - DS2
6. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
7. Chief Keef - Sorry 4 the Weight
8. Rae Sremmurd - SreemLife
9. Lil Wayne - Sorry 4 the Wait 2
10. Chief Keef - Nobody 2

If you wanna throw in stuff more loosely associated with hip hop like Chopped & Screwed and DJ mixes, Why Be, Mhysa, Lil Ugly Mane, Rabit, and Chino Amobi all put out interesting releases of various kinds that would beat most of the stuff on this list.

The only new entry here since that write-up is Gaika's Machine, which I listened to in the very last couple of days of the year. Gaika is part of the NON Records collective and featured on their compilation in the closing months of last year. Their mixtape is pretty experimental, but it felt appropriate to include just based on the fact that what hip hop is seems to be expanded further and further all the time. I'd recommend it to anyone here who was interested in the leftfield stuff that came out last year and has a taste for hip hop.
undefined

• Posted: 01/08/2016 22:07
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
If you wanna throw in stuff more loosely associated with hip hop ... Lil Ugly Mane

Honestly to me all 3 (I think. More maybe?) of LUM's releases this year feel far closer to what I consider hip-hop than Future Brown (which definitely has heavy hip-hop elements and a few straight-up hip-hop singles but production-wise overall I'd classify more as UK Bass or Grime. Then again Third Side of Tape has moments of basically everything that isn't hip-hop in it as well so idk)

Gon' check out that Gaika thing fo sho
Satie

• Posted: 01/08/2016 22:07
  • Post subject:
dividesbyzero wrote:
Then again Third Side of Tape has moments of basically everything that isn't hip-hop in it as well so idk

yeah, shoulda clarified that was the only release of his i liked from last year
undefined

• Posted: 01/08/2016 22:10
  • Post subject:
Satie wrote:
yeah, shoulda clarified that was the only release of his i liked from last year

you heard Trick Dice (under his Shawn Kemp alias)? Some really cool Memphis inspired cloud production on that one
HipHop

• Posted: 01/10/2016 18:35
  • Post subject:
A$AP Rocky put out a dope album. Feel like its not landing on many lists..
  • Visit poster's website
Lowkey

United States

• Posted: 01/10/2016 19:03
  • Post subject:
HipHop wrote:
A$AP Rocky put out a dope album. Feel like its not landing on many lists..
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 01/10/2016 19:33
  • Post subject:
Lowkey wrote:
25. Chance The Rapper x Lil B - Based Freestyles Mixtape

TIL this exists. May actually check that out.

My list, excluding live albums:

10:

Surf by Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment

Way more literally trumpet based and way less Chance The Rapper based than I was expecting, but a great album with a lot going on. Not incredible flow between tracks, it gets a bit all over the place, but it really is a great album.

9:

Sour Soul by Ghostface Killah & BADBADNOTGOOD

I know a lot of people weren't big on this, prefer Ghostface's other stuff, but this is probably my favorite release of his to date (not including Wu Tang). Should really go back and revisit his older stuff with a more open mind towards hip hop than I had at the time before I make that claim, but I really do like it, and BADBADNOTGOOD is really cool and I had never heard of prior to this one.

8:

So The Flies Don't Come by Milo

I was super unimpressed by Toothpaste Suburb, reeked of "look Buck 65 I can do it too!", but eventually I dug into his older stuff which was actually really good, so I wasn't sure what to expect going into this. And then "Song About a Raygunn" came out before the album and I knew we were back to good Milo. This might be my favorite of his, though it's a little hard to compare to the sample heavier Things That Happen EPs, but I'm fairly sure Song About a Raygunn is my favorite song of his.

7:

B4.Da.$$ by Joey Bada$$

An album I had no hope for going in, this was just me wanting to listen to music that had come out in 2015 early in 2015. Was very pleasantly surprised by an album I've revisited several times. It's far more radio friendly than maybe anything else on my list (more on that later), but it's a really, really good album that's fun and still make some good, serious lyrical points.

6:

The Return Of The Dragon: The Abstract ...sta Rhymes

Would never have even heard of this if DOOM hadn't mentioned that he was on it, and it was actively hard to find a legal way to listen to this. I really mostly was just interested in DOOM's track, which was on soundcloud, and was really good for more than just him, so I got interested in the album. Album has a ton of features, everyone from Chance (whose verse on Hello is maybe my favorite of his to date, only to get completely outshined by one of the best verses I've ever heard from anyone coming in from Busta himself) to Sean Paul to Mary J Blige to Raekwon to Gucci Mane. Producer credits include Pharrell and J-Dilla, and there's even an Adele vocal sample here, and yet despite all those big names, Busta is the one who really shines, and it doesn't feel too disjointed at all. There's a lot here that would be incredibly radio friendly (Shawty Go sounds like something that would get played 24/7 on my local station back home), but there's a depth to the songs that really helps this shine. And for a free Christmas Day release, this got surprisingly little attention.

5:

A Special Episode Of by Open Mike Eagle

Short, but in that short time is able to flop back and forth between clever comedy and commentary on Ferguson without feeling forced or strange. The Milo and MC Paul Barman features on Trickeration are great, but Ziggy Starfish is the real star here. The live version of Ziggy Starfish from Why? is even better, Thundercat's bass solo is ridiculous.

4:

The Night Took Us In Like Family by L'O...remiah Jae

Found because Jeremiah Jae, stayed because L'Orange. A really good, atmospheric album that sometimes loses focus a little bit, but as a whole tells a cool, compelling story.

3:

Time? Astonishing! by L'Orange & Kool Keith

A 1950s sci-fi b-movie in hip-hop album form. Fun, ridiculous at times, but incredible beats by L'Orange, some really different work than his usual for Keith, and some cool features (Blu, MC Paul Barman, Open Mike) and samples (I think Vitas even sneaks in there on Upwards. To Space!) make for a really unique experience

2:

To Pimp A Butterfly by Kendrick Lamar

Ask people 20 years down the line the most important album that came out in this decade, and I'll be surprised if there's any answers but this one. Jazz rap that hit some mainstream ears (Alright's been playing on my pop radio station back home after it seems that King Kunta wasn't so well received by their listeners after being pulled after only a couple plays), and far, far more importantly, chronicles being black in America today, upon a plethora of other issues. Name another album that's been used as a classroom exercise to explain race issues in America, that's getting a rapper all over late night, or maybe more personally relevant, the man that could have people I know who have never seen hip-hop as art or even music show respect. It's incredible.

1:

Tetsuo & Youth by Lupe Fiasco

TPAB may be the most socially important, but this was my favorite album of the year. "Mural" is probably the best hip hop song I've ever heard, just nearly 9 minutes of ridiculous flow, wordplay, etc. The album as a whole doesn't quite live up to it, but almost nothing could, and the rest is really good - the instrumental interludes are cool, songs vary between serious and fun, it's just a great album.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website