Ratings out of five

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: What rating scale would you like to see on BEA?
Out of 100 in increments of 5 (20 options) - current system
33%
 33%  [2]
Out of 100 in increments of 10 (10 options)
16%
 16%  [1]
Out of 5 in increments of 0.25 (20 options)
16%
 16%  [1]
Out of 5 in increments of 0.5 (10 options)
33%
 33%  [2]
Out of 5 in increments of 1 (5 options)
0%
 0%  [0]
Other - please share your thoughts
0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes : 6

RFNAPLES
Level 8

United States

• Posted: 06/30/2011 04:41
  • Post subject:
This is the problem: Everybody has their own idea of what a rating is or means. In the USA, an academic grade of 70 to 79 is often labeled C or average.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Send email
  • Visit poster's website
Wombi

• Posted: 06/30/2011 05:51
  • Post subject:
RFNAPLES wrote:
In the USA, an academic grade of 70 to 79 is often labeled C or average.

whereas in Australia, at least at university level, is labelled as a distinction which is a very good grade indeed.

RFNAPLES wrote:
This is the problem: Everybody has their own idea of what a rating is

It is a problem which is why I still maintain that we should have words come up when you hover over ratings (i.e. "Excellent"> "Okay">"Shite">"Green Day") that way we have a relative comparison and the ratings overall are more quantifiable than they are now with people rating things from 50 and above (WTF?). But that would be my preference. Also I definitely and absolutely think ratings should stay out of 100 as to how many increments within the 100 I don't mind.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 06/30/2011 06:30
  • Post subject:
albummaster wrote:
I agree with you, but I think the system could be improved and maybe simplifed a bit to make it easier for people to use.

It's far easier to quantify something on a smaller scale (e.g. awarding something on Amazon out of 5 stars is very simple).

Maybe a 20 point scale is just too much and a ten point scale might be less confusing (and just as effective) in terms of positioning something?

I know it's a point of difference with other sites at the moment, but is it worth it? Does anyone really find a 20 point sliding scale useful? A lot of people just multiply their five/ten point scales up to fit in with BEA or mentally convert back to a scale they are more familiar with.

There are people who will always rate with "thumbs up/down" method... But there are some who have a rating system and those would probably like to see as big of a scale as possible..

I understand what your reasons are, I mean I don't rate charts or bands because I wouldn't know how to - it would probably be easier rating those on a smaller scale. It's just that when you start rating a whole bunch of albums you adopt a system (well I did at least) and then it's easier to have a bigger scale... I mean I actually find it annoying converting the BEA rating to the 10 point scale of RYM because there are too many albums I rate the same even if I don't like them the same at all
  • Visit poster's website
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 06/30/2011 06:53
  • Post subject:
Jhereko wrote:
I still maintain that we should have words come up when you hover over ratings (i.e. "Excellent"> "Okay">"Shite">"Green Day") that way we have a relative comparison and the ratings overall are more quantifiable than they are now with people rating things from 50 and above (WTF?).

Someone else mentioned early on that they want the freedom to use their own scale and don't want to be dictated to by BEA and labels take away that freedom. Even if a few of us reached a consensus on what those labels might be, I'm not sure everyone else would buy into it.

19loveless91, interesting about converting between RYM and BEA. I thought in my head that a 10 point scale would probably be enough.

I personally feel something isn't quite right, but if people want it left the same, then maybe it's best left as it is for now.
  • Visit poster's website