23%  [4]
Total Votes : 17

RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/12/2016 00:42
  • Post subject:
Thanks for the responses.

I meant to write about combining the two because reality is often somewhere in between (our discoveries often are our favorites, etc.), but then thought against it.

My first charts when joining the site I often wanted to show my gems after maybe my top 20 favorites. But now I'm going through my 50s chart (17 left out of 176 albums) in a more methodical way and questioning if I really like the albums I used to rank high and then discovering other albums. Then I'm compiling it in a spreadsheet (work in progress) and grading them and then sorting through which were ranked the same score and weighing which one to have at a higher rank. I'm still struggling with a scoring system that I like. I see some people use 50 as average because it's in the middle, but somehow I feel 3 stars or 60 is closer to the average for me.

So far I heard of Moondog, Ravi Shankar, and Les Paul, but didn't listen to their music until this time around and it really floored me, yet I don't have a "relationship" with it yet. Also some jazz records I hadn't heard of before, like the Jazz At Massey Hall which I felt was fun to be live because the crowd interaction was great... helped the Jazz come to life a little more (somehow Jazz and Classical I find to be better live, whereas other genres sound better polished in a studio).
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 02/12/2016 00:58
  • Post subject:
what's cool about the one album per artist thing is that once you put on an album by an artist then you've taken care of multiple albums and you don't have to think about their placement and you can just move forward.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/12/2016 01:00
  • Post subject:
Tap wrote:
what's cool about the one album per artist thing is that once you put on an album by an artist then you've taken care of multiple albums and you don't have to think about their placement and you can just move forward.

haha, how true! It is really difficult to rate something so close to each other. I remember though that for some of my favorite artists I found that I was constantly changing which of their albums was best. I mean there's only like 10 artists that are like that for me, but still.
  • Visit poster's website