Best Ever Movies (2015 Edition)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/01/2016 23:03
  • Post subject:
Sometimes I think some of you are smartasses to the point it does you no good. I wonder who here's actually been laid before...

Yes IMDb. Not saying everything above a 7.0 is good and worth watching, but how many movies below a 7.0 are? Not many, and once you get below a 6.0 you can be certain it will suck in almost every regard. At least based on my experience. But I'm no Satie so don't take everything I say as the truth.
  • Visit poster's website
Muslim-Bigfoot

Location: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch

• Posted: 03/01/2016 23:05
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
Sometimes I think some of you are smartasses to the point it does you no good. I wonder who here's actually been laid before...

Wow everyone's in on the secret.
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 03/01/2016 23:27
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:

Yes IMDb. Not saying everything above a 7.0 is good and worth watching, but how many movies below a 7.0 are? Not many, and once you get below a 6.0 you can be certain it will suck in almost every regard. At least based on my experience. But I'm no Satie so don't take everything I say as the truth.

See, Im fine with whatever IMDB-rating cutoff or other preferences you may have when it comes to selecting movies, that's fine everybody has their own thing, but when you act like the kid who just started junior high and discovered his first "arthouse" movie in the school library and now all of a sudden everybody else is just a regular plebian who's not worthy to discuss any sort of artistic medium you enjoy, that makes it hard to feel like we're ever going to have a level discussion here. Plenty of "smart" people can just look at movies differently, and just because they may not happen to enjoy a film like "Under the Skin" (one that is personally an all-time favorite, by the way) is not that they're a "regular person" not worthy of it's brilliance or incapable of understanding it, but just may not get something out of it that others have.

Given even though it doesn't seem like it Im not trying to create a blanket judgement based on a few posts here, but these whiffs of elevated-air condesciion aren't really going to help if you're trying to have a geniune discussion about movies, or really just about anything at all here. At behest though, I think going off the first line of your post and the crap I just wrote we're all just the pot calling the kettle beige...
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 03/01/2016 23:51
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
badseed wrote:

See, Im fine with whatever IMDB-rating cutoff or other preferences you may have when it comes to selecting movies, that's fine everybody has their own thing, but when you act like the kid who just started junior high and discovered his first "arthouse" movie in the school library and now all of a sudden everybody else is just a regular plebian who's not worthy to discuss any sort of artistic medium you enjoy, that makes it hard to feel like we're ever going to have a level discussion here. Plenty of "smart" people can just look at movies differently, and just because they may not happen to enjoy a film like "Under the Skin" (one that is personally an all-time favorite, by the way) is not that they're a "regular person" not worthy of it's brilliance or incapable of understanding it, but just may not get something out of it that others have.

Given even though it doesn't seem like it Im not trying to create a blanket judgement based on a few posts here, but these whiffs of elevated-air condesciion aren't really going to help if you're trying to have a geniune discussion about movies, or really just about anything at all here. At behest though, I think going off the first line of your post and the crap I just wrote we're all just the pot calling the kettle beige...

I apologize, I thought my post clearly stated that the people of my hometown that I know personally don't know shit about movies. If I didn't think the BEA users were on a level to discuss movies with I wouldn't be discussing movies with them. So unless you're defending the citizens of Redneckville, Florida's shitty taste because they have the right to think black and white films are boring, foreign films are stupid and The Hangover is the greatest piece of art of this century I don't see what you're getting at. Am I being elitist, well, yes. I think it's shallow as fuck that someone wouldn't give Citizen Kane the time of day but looks forward to every upcoming Adam Sandler release.

And for the record, there are no art house films in any high school within 100 miles of here. If it weren't for me making use of the internet by discovering sites like IMDb or BEA my taste would be just as shitty as everyone else.
  • Visit poster's website
cestuneblague
Edgy to the Choir

• Posted: 03/02/2016 00:05
  • Post subject:
Im not saying dismissive elitism isn't a two-way street, but taking the my-shit-stinks-less road isn't really going to help you come off as any more open and congenial. No one's going to be willing to try and see your side of things when they're being dismissed as lower life-forms, and that's true for both the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Citizen Kane fans.

ANYHOOOOZZZZZ, yes bad movies can be fun but again if a poll for it basically is just an excuse to smirk and mock or a way to prove yourself as a contrarian special-snowflake, then it will probably do more bad than good. Then again it is subjective, and there are probably movies that top all the "best of" polls that some people think are terrible, and universally-renown "bad" movies that people actually find value in, so all in all a "bad" movies poll just seems like both an impossible standard and really pointless.
  • Visit poster's website
Applerill
Autistic Princess <3

United States

• Posted: 03/02/2016 00:11
  • Post subject:
The following event took place between Film Crit Hulk and Quentin Tarantino following a Kill Bill screening in 2004.

HULK: "UGH."

QT: "What?

HULK: "HULK HATED THAT MOVIE."

QT: "Never hate a movie."

HULK: "HUH?"

QT: "Never, under any circumstances, hate a movie. It won't help you and it's a waste of time."

HULK: [STARTING TO EXPLAIN REASONS WHY HULK HATE MOVIE].

QT: "You're not getting me. There's plenty of reasons to not to like a movie. But if you hate them? Meaning if let them bother you? Then they'll do nothing but bother you. Who wants to be bothered? There's so many better things to do with movies. It's like my fucking Top Gun rant, okay? (3) Bad things can be so much more interesting than just bad.

HULK: BUT WHAT ABOUT LIKE THE FREAKIN' BOMBS, CAUSE-

QT: Even the bombs, man, heck, especially the bombs man. And I mean if you want to do this for a fucking living and you're absolutely serious, then never hate a movie. You can learn so much about the craft from bad movies. I man you can't like fucking look at Kurosawa and be all [PUTS ON VOICE THAT THAT SOUNDS ODDLY LIKE PETER GRAVES FOR SOME REASON] "Oooh just do what Kurosawa did. You know, it's easy!" Fuck no! Bad movies teach you what not to do and what to correct in your process and that's way more helpful. You know how many feet of film I burned on this thing [MEANING KILL BILL] when I was trying to be like something else that was great? Like fucking Pole Fighter, like what you said? No, all the best stuff came out of me just trying to avoid mistakes."

HULK: "WELL HULK-

QT: "And fuck man, hating movies closes you off to stuff that seems like whatever you hate. Or stuff by the same guy. And who knows? That other stuff could be awesome. Some of my favorite filmmakers made bad movies. It won't help you. It just won't. It stops your development right in its tracks, okay? I mean like everything and I ain't trying to get you to be like fucking me or anything. I'm just saying I think it's better for you. And it makes me way, way happier. Never hate a movie. They're gifts. Every fucking one of em."

Source: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2011/11/03/...te-a-movie

I'll admit that I (very, very, very) often fail at this, but the conversation at least adds weight to an important fact: You can't be a successful cinephile if you insist on watching only good movies.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 03/02/2016 00:36
  • Post subject:
CryingGameDahlin wrote:
ANYHOOOOZZZZZ, yes bad movies can be fun but again if a poll for it basically is just an excuse to smirk and mock or a way to prove yourself as a contrarian special-snowflake, then it will probably do more bad than good. Then again it is subjective, and there are probably movies that top all the "best of" polls that some people think are terrible, and universally-renown "bad" movies that people actually find value in, so all in all a "bad" movies poll just seems like both an impossible standard and really pointless.

Honestly the more I've thought about this I think you're right on it, though I'm glad I'm not alone in enjoying the occasional bad movie at the least.

Also the problem with IMDB (and BEA and every other thing like it) is that it gets more credibility than it possibly should. In the end it's just a lot of people's personal opinions getting averaged out and encouraging hivemind sorts of praise/elitism/etc. Much like I've never met anyone whose taste was exactly the same as mine, because no one's will be exactly the same as mine, no ranking system like this will accurately show me stuff.

I will say for IMDB that the "recommended films" has been an OK resource. 50% is just sequels to movies I've seen/stuff by the same directors, but the other half has pointed me in the direction of some cool stuff, some of which I've enjoyed and a couple of which I haven't.

IAlso anyone who thinks that Mrs Doubtfire and Octocat Adventures both aren't worth watching can fight me.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website