Pop Charts Discussion Thread

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 03/11/2016 01:10
  • Post subject:
I think the Billboard Hot 100 is really barren of good songs right now, even more than usual. The only song in the top 10 that I like even a little bit is Work (Rihanna feat. Drake). After that the next fun song is Down In The DM at #18. I hated it and its deeply corny subject matter at first, but it's such an earworm that I can tolerate it.

Curious to hear some other perspectives.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 03/11/2016 02:21
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
I think the Billboard Hot 100 is really barren of good songs right now, even more than usual. The only song in the top 10 that I like even a little bit is Work (Rihanna feat. Drake). After that the next fun song is Down In The DM at #18. I hated it and its deeply corny subject matter at first, but it's such an earworm that I can tolerate it.

Curious to hear some other perspectives.

So I hadn't heard Down in the DM before that is pretty fun. That whole style of music, when it gets self aware, gets all the better, and it seems to acknowledge the flaws with the sort of "whoos" and use it to its advantage. I think U Guessed It did that well too. IDK a lot of those sort of trap-ish hip hop songs blend together and they need something to stand out so sometimes being ridiculous seems the best way.

As to the other stuff ... Work ironically may be my least favorite of them all. I still think Bieber's new direction is good but Love Yourself wasn't his best, Stressed Out isn't the best off the album, actually the more I look at this the more it feels familiar, almost all of these were top 10 last time I looked, weird. Piece By Piece is not my thing at all, and 7 Years feels like it's not sure if it should be Renegade or 100 Years.

I'm sad to see Roses have fallen, still like that one, I Took A Pill In Ibiza's alright, not perfect, but better than Cooler than Me - not as fun but just as a song better I think. Puth is terrible.

Also boo when did GDFR fall off the chart because that was a fun one and this is coming from someone who vocally complained about Sage The Gemini a lot.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
kevinweed7

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2016 13:07
  • Post subject:
ove the fact that the majority of the people on this site truly prove that good classic music will always outlast and be more popular to true music connesuiurs. Majority of pop is feed to the sheep of this world and it makes me sad that the mass public is attracted to such fleeting garbage. I do like some pop one hit wonders, but they are few and far between.
  • Visit poster's website