Which are the fifteen best albums of the heavy-metal?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
neilgee
Bless the list makers

United Kingdom

• Posted: 11/25/2015 11:20
  • Post subject:
Black Sabbath, Paranoid
Metallica, Master of Puppets
Black Sabbath, Master of Reality
Motorhead-Ace of Spades
Guns n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Motorhead - Motorhead
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
Queensrÿche - Empire
Iron Maiden Power Slave
Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
Motorhead - No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith
Motörhead - Overkill
  • Visit poster's website
Skippyrocks

Australia

• Posted: 11/25/2015 14:06
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
Don't even know what metal means anymore

I totally understand. As a huge metalhead, I find it crazy that so few people have any idea what metal is. I played some pop punk to some people the other day who started asking me why I liked 'screamo'! Or another confused person who said that 'metal is stupid because it's all just people screaming'!
Maybe in part it's due to people having no real idea of what genres and sub-genres are... Maybe it really is all to confusing for those who aren't really into the music. Ie I could explain the differences between 20 different types of metal, but have no idea between the basic differences between hip hop, rap, gangsta rap etc.
Just my thoughts!
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 11/25/2015 15:40
  • Post subject:
When I see I statement like "I don't know what metal means anymore" or of the like, 2 things come to mind.

1.) If we are talking about today's metal I completely agree. I think there is a lot of bands that get labeled as metal but roll with it because it's a popular term. There have been so many subgenres (many of which are utter crap) that have metal bolted to the back end of the subgenre's name that makes metal kind of lose it's original valor and substance. I realize that Bro Metal isn't a real subgenre, but to me it's real because Five Finger Death Punch (one of the worst bands on Earth) has done nothing but embraced said label, nearly popularizing it. But fuck it, man, it sells.
But we talk about heavy metal, thrash metal, power metal, nwobhm, speed metal, viking metal, folk metal, black metal, doom metal, stoner metal, glam metal, math metal, prog metal, nu metal, metal core, crab core, pretty soon it becomes a joke. Just my take on it. Obviously a lot of these are legitimate genres, others on the other hand are worthless.

2.) If we look at a lot of the choices through this thread, I see things like Deep Purple, Van Halen, Zeppelin, etc. I will never understand when someone refers to them as metal bands. Hard rock of course, and a huge influence on metal but never a "metal" band. I think they would laugh at being called metal bands. I think the music world and many members of it are trigger happy to throw the word metal out there. AC/DC was never really metal either. Even though my second point isn't the exact same as my first, they certainly coincide because my point is not everything is metal and not everything needs a label. We have lost any and all point to the term metal because everything is being labeled as metal and most of it isn't. At what point do we throw the Beatles and Cream and Jimi Hendrix in here?
Sandoz

• Posted: 11/26/2015 17:25
  • Post subject:
My Top 10

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
Metallica - Metallica
Lateralus - Tool
Deftones - Around the Fur
Motörhead - Ace of Spades
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Get Some Go Again - Rollins
Metallica - Master of Puppets
  • Visit poster's website
CosmykTheDolfyn

• Posted: 11/28/2015 10:21
  • Post subject:
Let's see here... This should probably do, but not in any particular order. I'd call this subject to change.

In The Meantime by Helmet
Swampsong by Kalmah
Elect The Dead by Serj Tankian
Inhumane Rampage by Dragonforce
F-Zero X Guitar Arrange Edition by Ryuichi Katsumata
Systematic Chaos by Dream Theater
Animals As Leaders by Animals As Leaders
Paradise Lost by Symphony X
Machine Head by Deep Purple
Beethoven's Last Night by Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Ire Works by The Dillinger Escape Plan
Operation: Mindcrime by Queensryche
Through Silver In Blood by Neurosis
Paranoid by Black Sabbath
Holy Diver by Dio
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 11/28/2015 12:08
  • Post subject:
Quote:
There have been so many subgenres (many of which are utter crap)

That’s a bit of an exaggerated and narrow-minded claim isn’t it? I’ve seen this belief personified across the internet and on every occasion it’s either the weirdest metal elitism (and a minority one) or just a half-assed excuse to not try to understand musical movements and evolutions; as well as not letting oneself really understand metal as it is now. It isn’t 1982, metal isn’t just heavier hard rock anymore.

Quote:
If we look at a lot of the choices through this thread, I see things like Deep Purple, Van Halen, Zeppelin, etc. I will never understand when someone refers to them as metal bands.

Because some publications have called early metal influences as metal. Hell, even when the terminology was coined (on hard rock band Sir Lord Baltimore’s debut) it was barely reasonable. But in addition to some publications a lot of the general pubic believes it to be so thus their lists are made as such. It’s the same reason people think power pop and pop-rock bands from when I was in high school were (and still are) called emo. Sort of.

Quote:
We have lost any and all point to the term metal

We have not. Especially those in the actual metal community (and some of the more well-read publications) knows better. Public ignorance on metal, punk, emo, alternative… it will always be asinine.

As I aforementioned, metal has had a rocky history with its origins and continued existence. This song was considered “metal” in 1970 by actual journalists. It was the origin of the term. By current standards, even the restructured definitions after the eighties happened, it doesn’t sound metal at all.

Link

I tend to prefer the terminology of “proto-metal” though.
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 11/28/2015 15:30
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
Five Finger Death Punch (one of the worst bands on Earth) has done nothing but embraced said label, nearly popularizing it. But fuck it, man, it sells.

I remember when I used to listen to metal bands like them. I didn't get as many ladies back then.
CosmykTheDolfyn

• Posted: 11/28/2015 17:08
  • Post subject:
BurningBright wrote:
I remember when I used to listen to metal bands like them. I didn't get as many ladies back then.

I usually will say that if you gauge music by how many "ladies" you can get with it, you are utterly missing the point of music in a laughable fashion.
However, I will admit that I find it hard for anyone to enjoy such "metal"" bands and would side with the ladies on that one in their avoidance of you.
Then I remembered that quite a few acts and historical figures used music as a tool for attracting the opposite sex, so maybe it's not that terrible of a barometer after all.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 11/28/2015 18:03
  • Post subject:
CosmykTheDolfyn wrote:
I usually will say that if you gauge music by how many "ladies" you can get with it, you are utterly missing the point of music in a laughable fashion.
However, I will admit that I find it hard for anyone to enjoy such "metal"" bands and would side with the ladies on that one in their avoidance of you.
Then I remembered that quite a few acts and historical figures used music as a tool for attracting the opposite sex, so maybe it's not that terrible of a barometer after all.

Man, I hope that was in laughable fashion. I gotta try harder next time.
kevinweed7

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2016 15:07
  • Post subject:
I will have to include metal, hardcore, industrial or anything that might be super aggressive hard rock. They only must include heavy guitars and make me want to kick ass or workout.

Rust In Peace
And Justice For All
Aenima
Rage Against The Machine
Psalm 69
Paranoid
Appetite For Destruction
Danzig III: How The Gods Kill
The Downward Spiral
Vulgar Display of Power
Antichrist Superstar
The Shape Of Punk To Come