World Record Day

View previous topic :: View next topic
stangetzaway

Australia

• Posted: 04/16/2016 06:19
  • Post subject: World Record Day
Happy World Record Day!

Traveled to the cbd to check out the two independent record stores I was aware of and found to my embarrassment both had evaporated into thin air. Most likely due to people like me not spending any money there! Anyway eventually hunted fown Heartland Records and indulged myself with Nowhere by Ride, Tunnel of Love by Bruce Springsteen, Surrealistic Pillow by Jefferson Airplane Anyway and The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place by Explosions in the Sky which has had some positive reviews on BEA. So I guess it's back to slumming it at JB Hi Fis and Amazon until next year. Brick wall
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/16/2016 14:14
  • Post subject:
Hoping everyone that goes out gets some great finds Smile

I won't be participating this year, mostly due to the fact that I have an exam as well as an essay to write (on a Saturday.... which is ridiculous).

Looking forward to seeing what people got Razz
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 04/16/2016 14:33
  • Post subject:
I'm currently spending RSD sitting outside in the sunshine in a bar in Lanzarote watching Newcastle vs Swansea. Suffice it to say there's not a decent record shop anywhere close by and unless someone wants to get me the swirly press of Thunder, Lightning, Strike! (will pay you handsomely) there'll be nothing from this year's selection I'll be owning anytime soon.

Personally speaking RSD has become something of a farce. At 10am this morning tons of stuff appeared on eBay, where some chancer had obviously bought everything up with the sole purpose of selling it on to make a quick buck. Entreprenuial for sure, but completely highlights the hypocrisy of the whole thing, especially for someone who spends a great deal of time visiting bricks-and-mortar record shops all over the UK. I'm all for promoting independent record shops, but surely there must be a better way than coloured vinyl and picture discs that people will buy, keep sealed and sell on years down the line. What's the feckin' point?
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 04/16/2016 14:43
  • Post subject:
noWaxJim wrote:
I'm currently spending RSD sitting outside in the sunshine in a bar in Lanzarote watching Newcastle vs Swansea. Suffice it to say there's not a decent record shop anywhere close by and unless someone wants to get me the swirly press of Thunder, Lightning, Strike! (will pay you handsomely) there'll be nothing from this year's selection I'll be owning anytime soon.

Personally speaking RSD has become something of a farce. At 10am this morning tons of stuff appeared on eBay, where some chancer had obviously bought everything up with the sole purpose of selling it on to make a quick buck. Entreprenuial for sure, but completely highlights the hypocrisy of the whole thing, especially for someone who spends a great deal of time visiting bricks-and-mortar record shops all over the UK. I'm all for promoting independent record shops, but surely there must be a better way than coloured vinyl and picture discs that people will buy, keep sealed and sell on years down the line. What's the feckin' point?

Yeah, it's far better on paper than the actual execution. I've only actually participated once, and I didn't exactly enjoy it. The blanket 20% discount of records was quite nice though.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 04/16/2016 14:46
  • Post subject:
Went, got the Low/S Carey split and found someone willing to sell me the AAR album. Also sold someone the Twenty One Pilots single for face value.

In about 20 minutes I'm off to Run For Cover Records, the label's having an open house with free food (!) and rare vinyl (!) and 15% off webstore prices with no shipping cuz you can just pick it up (!)

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website