Guns/Gun ownership.

View previous topic :: View next topic
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/12/2016 21:31
  • Post subject: Guns/Gun ownership.
Random chat wasn't the place for this so I'm making a thread here.

BrandonMiaow wrote:
Yeah like, arming oneself in response to violence isn't unprecedented and isn't morally wrong. I mean...think of the Black Panthers. They armed themselves so they could protect their communities. Melting the guns is never gonna happen, and even if it somehow did you can't expect people to hold out for that hope while they face real danger.

This makes up most the reason I support it. Ownership allows marginalised and oppressed groups a very real opportunity to organise and defend themselves from violence (plus I don't like the idea of the state having the monopoly on power).

That said mass shootings/gun crime absolutely matter. I ain't gonna act like I know the answers or anything, but I think that they'd lie in funding for mental health treatment, background checks and perhaps restrictions on some types of weapons.

This probably isn't a particularly popular opinion and tbh I'm not fully convinced myself but fuck it, worth starting the conversation here.
  • Visit poster's website
BrandonMiaow

• Posted: 06/12/2016 22:16
  • Post subject:
yeah sorry for talking so much in random chat. maybe someone/a mod should delete those? I know for a lot of people now is not the time for this conversation. I'm even kinda reluctant to talk so much in this thread but I guess I will since this is the place for it.

The thing about gun ownership is that it's a power play. Talking with someone who owns guns is different than with anyone else since they have that leverage over you - they are making themselves dominant - they could shoot you. It is why a lot of people own guns. Its really disgusting. Every little immature individualist whim has power behind it. And although I feel like with most of these people its just posturing sometimes it becomes action.

With regards to people with mental disorders, they need more resources absolutely but they're just one of the scapegoats for these events. Just like Muslims. They are the "other" that makes it seem like everything is alright in paradise. Its like the Charleston shooter - he was a racist - but people always like to say "oh he was mentally ill" to put off responsibility for the racist rhetoric they're always spouting off. "Oh we just talk about shooting black people, he actually did it!"

I don't really see there as being solutions in the conventional sense if I'm honest. Like I don't think you can "fix" the power structures that create this environment from within the power structures themselves. Laws, the courts, the police, they are not on LGBT people's side, though of course every little victory you get should be celebrated. To me the way to do it would be to form outside communities of resistance, and I think there is a lot of history to look back on for ideas. People already do this I'm sure. idk. its just exhausting isn't it? You just have to remember that for every evil there are people struggling against it with everything they have.
19loveless91
mag. druž. inf

Slovenia

• Posted: 06/12/2016 22:24
  • Post subject:
Think we once had a pretty lengthy gun control thread here, has it been locked already?

Re: the posts in Random chat - while I can get why somebody would think of arming themselves or their community for protection, you have to keep in mind: if YOU (the nondescript second person) can get a gun, everybody else can, too. It's rather illusory to expect that more guns on the street will actually help lower the violence against the oppresed - if it's systemic oppression, then it will exist regardless (or even reinforce it), if not, then those "oppresors" are just as capable to purchase the same weapons and possibly more likely to use them anyway. Also, who's to say the oppresed will use those weapons only for a "good cause", if we're mentioning Black Panthers, weren't they also known for some rather unpleasant shit as well?

Maybe somebody with a gun in Pulse or Bataclan could save some lives in that situation, but mostly it would just make all the other daily situations rather unsafe.

That's not to say it's easy to implement gun control laws.
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/12/2016 22:29
  • Post subject:
BrandonMiaow wrote:
yeah sorry for talking so much in random chat. maybe someone/a mod should delete those? I know for a lot of people now is not the time for this conversation. I'm even kinda reluctant to talk so much in this thread but I guess I will since this is the place for it.

Yeah that was a dickhead move of me but cats out the bag now so figured I may as well make this.

Quote:
I don't really see there as being solutions in the conventional sense if I'm honest. Like I don't think you can "fix" the power structures that create this environment from within the power structures themselves.
Laws, the courts, the police, they are not on LGBT people's side, though of course every little victory you get should be celebrated. To me the way to do it would be to form outside communities of resistance, and I think there is a lot of history to look back on for ideas.

This is basically what I'm about. I don't think the ideal solution to violence should come from the state, cos that leaves all power with them, and god knows that isn't ideal. You don't want to leave yourself defenseless, I think the aim should be to take power into your own hands - defence against both personal and institutional violence.

Quote:
With regards to people with mental disorders, they need more resources absolutely but they're just one of the scapegoats for these events. Just like Muslims. They are the "other" that makes it seem like everything is alright in paradise. Its like the Charleston shooter - he was a racist - but people always like to say "oh he was mentally ill" to put off responsibility for the racist rhetoric they're always spouting off. "Oh we just talk about shooting black people, he actually did it!"

oh absolutely, but I imagine it might do some good (tho ofc one can't treat away hate).
  • Visit poster's website
alelsupreme
Awful.

United Kingdom

• Posted: 06/12/2016 22:37
  • Post subject:
19loveless91 wrote:
if not, then those "oppresors" are just as capable to purchase the same weapons and possibly more likely to use them anyway.

That's not to say it's easy to implement gun control laws.

Yeah I basically feel that there's little chance of getting rid of guns whilst getting a system of government so lacking in institutional injustice that gun ownership couldn't be justified, so I'm thinking more "if there's gonna be guns, may as well keep yourself protected". It all boils down to self-defence for me.
  • Visit poster's website
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 06/13/2016 03:59
  • Post subject:
I'll echo what I said before, handguns are alright in my book but there's just no reason to be modding those things to hold 20+ bullets, and there's no reason to go after automatic weaponry. If someone breaks in there's no way you need an assault rifle to stop them.

Past that, the idea of more guns stopping mass shootings here doesn't make sense to me. It's the opposite step as every other nation in the world took, and we already have about 1/3 people being a gun owner. For every 5 Americans, there are 4.5 guns. If that's not enough, what is? What's going to stop it? On top of that, there's going to be times anyone and everyone gets irrationally mad, and if it's the norm to be armed, those incidents can just escalate about 5x quicker.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 06/13/2016 13:58
  • Post subject:
Here's a fantastic article that delves into the gun problem in America, but if you don't feel like reading it, here are some of the key points:

This is a uniquely American problem. We have the most homicides by firearms by a lot

And we have the most gun owners

Correlation? Causation? Either way, it's a strong case.

More guns equals more deaths, plain and simple. This is both on a worldwide level

And a state-wide level

Basically everyone supports gun legislation, but it doesn't translate into any kind of legislation

Gun control legislation provably works, as it has in Australia

Now these two graphics aren't from the Vox article, they're from a different one, but they're important too.

States that have stricter gun laws, have fewer gun deaths:

And for the most part, shooters in mass shootings, acquire their guns legally:

But I'll be honest, I'm getting cynical about this whole thing. If Newtown didn't cause gun legislation to happen, if the deaths of fucking CHILDREN didn't cause gun legislation to happen (which, by the way, more preschoolers were killed by guns in 2012 and 2013 than police officers in the line of duty), then I don't know what will. It's fucking disgusting and why this issue hasn't even been remotely tackled is beyond me.

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
WindowAbove

United States

• Posted: 06/13/2016 14:16
  • Post subject:
Obviously we need more restrictions and ctrl than we have, such as repealing the second amendment, but idk if there's a point where the control is too much, like the defense issue or whatever. But yeah we should stop letting anyone get a gun lol like that's literally stupid bro America needs to chill with guns
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/15/2016 17:48
  • Post subject:
I've gotten to a point where I'm totally ready to just give up on American society. So much has failed and there's never relief from it anymore. The whole gun thing is so damn complex and confusing. But I do think the a vast amount of the population, even gun owners, are actually open to reasonable changes. Unfortunately, the NRA and members of the government are not allowing for that to happen.

I believe there's justification to keeping the 2nd Amendment as an outright ban of guns can have repercussions. But there's a lot to fix within the gun laws and how easy it is to legally obtain them.

Complex problems require complex solutions. The factors that lead to the gun violence in America are all over the place. We've got governors making huge cuts to mental health. We've got kids playing with guns at a very young age. Military intervention is constantly seen as a solution to world problems, and our military is hoisted up as heroic. How do you teach kids that killing "bad guys" is ok on a large scale, but then that murder is wrong? Movies, video games, art desensitize us. And then we've got leaders of major institutions (religious, political, etc) preaching hate. The problem is horribly deep-rooted in culture.

One idea I had which is not a solution, but another approach... If you want to own a gun, you're required to serve in the military. While I don't support a large military, I do think those who serve gain a greater understanding of the realities of guns. They also receive actual training. In addition, there'd be psych evaluations. And many new limitations on what guns are legal and who can deal them.

Legal firearms should also have a low maximum magazine capacity. There's no reason anyone who's hunting or protecting themselves should need high capacity magazines
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 06/19/2016 18:05
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
I've gotten to a point where I'm totally ready to just give up on American society. So much has failed and there's never relief from it anymore. The whole gun thing is so damn complex and confusing. But I do think the a vast amount of the population, even gun owners, are actually open to reasonable changes. Unfortunately, the NRA and members of the government are not allowing for that to happen.

I believe there's justification to keeping the 2nd Amendment as an outright ban of guns can have repercussions. But there's a lot to fix within the gun laws and how easy it is to legally obtain them.

Complex problems require complex solutions. The factors that lead to the gun violence in America are all over the place. We've got governors making huge cuts to mental health. We've got kids playing with guns at a very young age. Military intervention is constantly seen as a solution to world problems, and our military is hoisted up as heroic. How do you teach kids that killing "bad guys" is ok on a large scale, but then that murder is wrong? Movies, video games, art desensitize us. And then we've got leaders of major institutions (religious, political, etc) preaching hate. The problem is horribly deep-rooted in culture.

One idea I had which is not a solution, but another approach... If you want to own a gun, you're required to serve in the military. While I don't support a large military, I do think those who serve gain a greater understanding of the realities of guns. They also receive actual training. In addition, there'd be psych evaluations. And many new limitations on what guns are legal and who can deal them.

Legal firearms should also have a low maximum magazine capacity. There's no reason anyone who's hunting or protecting themselves should need high capacity magazines

Your points and insights make too much sense. (you always live up to your slogan: The Voice of Reason) Thanks for sharing.
  • Visit poster's website