How Do You Discover New Music?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 11/02/2015 19:43
  • Post subject:
Decurso wrote:
I kind of expected that BEA, Spotify, RYM and Pitchfork would top the list...so no surprise there. I also expected radio and print media to be pretty inconsequential to most...and that does indeed seem to be the case. I did not expect live music to be the main source of new music for anyone, but I have to say I am shocked that nobody mentioned it at all. Interesting...

It's a question of how much money I can put in live music these days, which is: absolutely none. Once the rent, the loan and the taxes have been paid, I can feed both my kid and me and... pay for an Internet subscription. No extra money for live music. Welcome to the real world.
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 11/02/2015 20:12
  • Post subject:
I use this website. I creep on all of your charts. I probably should give credit to those gems I find next time... (I miss Precedent)
Decurso

Canada

• Posted: 11/02/2015 20:20
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:
It's a question of how much money I can put in live music these days, which is: absolutely none. Once the rent, the loan and the taxes have been paid, I can feed both my kid and me and... pay for an Internet subscription. No extra money for live music. Welcome to the real world.

Money is definitely the reason I'm going to fewer shows than I used to. From 2008-2010 I was going to at LEAST 8 shows a month...often more. Nowadays, it's 2-3 tops. Usually it's one major show and one or two local DIY/underground shows. Big time arena concerts are pretty much completely out of the question for the time being.
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 11/02/2015 20:23
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:

Sadly this is incredibly accurate

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 11/02/2015 20:24
  • Post subject:
Norman Bates wrote:

This is why I am enjoying my youth as much as possible.
Kool Keith Sweat

• Posted: 11/02/2015 22:33
  • Post subject:
Decurso wrote:
Yeah...that thought occurred to me shortly after posting this. Location counts for a lot. If you are living in a small town, or a city that for whatever reason doesn't have much going on for live music, it's not really a valid option for discovering live music. But we have some members in Austin, right? Isn't that supposed to be the greatest live music city in the world?

Austin has SXSW, several large festivals geared towards different genres of music (from pop at ACL to psych at Levitation to Soul and R&B at Urban Fest and there really seems to be a festival at Auditorium Shores or Zilker every month or so), and literally hundreds of venues putting on shows every day of the week (in fact, most shows I've gone to this past year have been on a Monday or Wednesday rather than your typical Friday or Saturday). We're drowning in performers, and I could go out and listen to someone new each day but, outside of festivals (not including SXSW, which is largely composed of up and coming acts) and some nationally known names each month, the majority of performers are local and of relatively shit quality, don't have an album and won't last long enough to produce one. Covers here are cheap, but going out frequently is still a financial burden, particularly when you're gambling so much on the bill's quality that you might have just paid a cover to drink at an expensive bar. So no, I don't find a significant amount of music that I'm interested in via the live setting. I've found one local avant-garde guitarist (Robert Millis), one two-month-old group that looks promising but not stable (Cross Record), and then Xylouris White, which isn't local but opened for GY!BE during their show here. Local acts have little moments of genius here and there of course, but I'm not sure if I'd ever just sit down and listen to it. One exception to this is the Epistrophy Arts series in town, which is dedicated to bringing in improvisational acts through town, including the likes of Peter Brotzmann, Fred Frith, Penguin Cafe Orchestra, James "Blood" Ulmer & The Thing, etc., which I go to every show they put on whenever I can, but the problem is that I usually already know the performer and enjoy them, simply because they bring in so few shows per year. Austin is great for music and musicians, but just like the internet, once you oversaturate it with music, it's just more shit to wade through to stuff you enjoy.

The #1 method that I use to find music new to me during these past few months is the credits sections on musican profiles on allmusic. By now I have a pretty solid web of musicians that I know put out music that I enjoy, and I just wade through their projects and collaborations until I find other musicians I like via them, and I grow that way. It's brought to light just how much intertwining there is in music (and I'm not just talking my Chicago-Louisville obsession).
Revolution909

Ireland

• Posted: 11/04/2015 07:16
  • Post subject:
I have a question about the Quietus.

Metacritic assign critic scores to the reviews that the Quietus write, yet when I go directly to that review on the Quietus, I see no review score.

For example, Metacritic tells me that

Slave Ambient by The War On Drugs

got a 90 score (http://www.metacritic.com/music/slave-ambient/the-war-on-drugs/critic-reviews?dist=positi ve) , yet I see no such score on the actual review (http://thequietus.com/articles/06805-the-war-on-drugs-slave-ambient-review).

Is there a review score on all of their reviews that I have been missing all this time or does someone at Metacritic just make up a score that the Quietus supposedly gives?

Top 100 Music Albums of the 2010s
  • Visit poster's website
kevinweed7

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2016 15:17
  • Post subject:
this site is definately the best for me now as well as Allmusic.com and amazon.
  • Visit poster's website
JOSweetHeart

• Posted: 04/02/2016 16:05
  • Post subject:
I discover new music through whatever I happen to be exposed to. What I hate is when I don't finally get into it until it is too late to tell the singer that I love them. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Check him out here when you can!
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 12/19/2016 23:11
  • Post subject:
Many online sources -- This website, Pandora, Amazon, etc.

Also, I have teenagers at home, so they help keep me up with the new stuff.
  • Visit poster's website