Album of the day (#1722): Close To The Edge by Yes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 08/18/2015 17:26
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:
If you're being serious, I think that album is way over-hated by most people. I wouldn't say it's better than Close To The Edge or Fragile or even Going For The One or Relayer, but it's still a good album, not the gigantic turd that everyone seems to think it is.

Tales is probably the classic era Yes album I go back to the least because it's a gigantic chore, but if you have the patience to sit through it, it isn't a turd at all.

And Relayer is a very good album too.
Necharsian
Best Ever User

Canada

• Posted: 08/18/2015 17:28
  • Post subject:
I've been slowly falling out of listening to prog (especially this kind of theatrical prog), but this album has somehow escaped that. That's likely due to me loving it in the past, so ill probably never actually "hate" it. but i havent listened to it in ages, and dont really have a giant urge to, which may just preserve this as a great album for me.

Plus the album cover is great and really thats all that matters.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 08/18/2015 18:24
  • Post subject:
Admittedly I was just being a little facetious to spur discussion, but I do love Fragile and Close to the Edge rather equally with Tales from Topographic Oceans and Relayer taking strong third/fourth place in my perceived pecking order of their discography. My love of Yes goes back to my love of the 1960s art rock movement in bands like The Moody Blues, The Nice, and Procol Harum – which happen to be some of my father’s favorite bands which is where my love for this kind of thing comes from. I’m not someone who goes into a record with a grand perspective of musical theory (“These changes are awesome! What do you think of this movement in 6/8 time?”). What I hear is immaculately produced expressionism that strikes a chord with me. I simply pick Fragile because it’s the one I like the most songs off of, plus what they did with their cover of “America” is great.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 08/18/2015 18:27
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Admittedly I was just being a little facetious to spur discussion, but I do love Fragile and Close to the Edge rather equally with Tales from Topographic Oceans and Relayer taking strong third/fourth place in my perceived pecking order of their discography. My love of Yes goes back to my love of the 1960s art rock movement in bands like The Moody Blues, The Nice, and Procol Harum – which happen to be some of my father’s favorite bands which is where my love for this kind of thing comes from. I’m not someone who goes into a record with a grand perspective of musical theory (“These changes are awesome! What do you think of this movement in 6/8 time?”). What I hear is immaculately produced expressionism that strikes a chord with me. I simply pick Fragile because it’s the one I like the most songs off of, plus what they did with their cover of “America” is great.

Agreed with everything you mentioned. A couple years ago I saw Yes and Procol Harum on the same bill. Two very different bands from when they started sure, but still great music from each band that night.

I play drums, so it's a blessing and a curse to think of music in the theory, time sigs, movements realm. But I still keep a balance between the two.

And I have to say the Yes Album is a great album too. Doesn't get much credit.
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 08/18/2015 19:09
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
Agreed with everything you mentioned. A couple years ago I saw Yes and Procol Harum on the same bill. Two very different bands from when they started sure, but still great music from each band that night.

I play drums, so it's a blessing and a curse to think of music in the theory, time sigs, movements realm. But I still keep a balance between the two.

I saw them together as well, though it seemed Procol Harum had a lot more “life” to them in their performance and were very engaging, though it certainly wasn’t the Procol Harum of my father’s youth. Yes as a band outside of their new vocalist of the time seemed devoid of that engagement which I remarked to my friend when I looked at Steve Howe and how “dead” he looked. It was a bit unnerving but I enjoyed the show nonetheless.

Also, I do quite like that album as well.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 08/18/2015 19:44
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:

I saw them together as well, though it seemed Procol Harum had a lot more “life” to them in their performance and were very engaging, though it certainly wasn’t the Procol Harum of my father’s youth. Yes as a band outside of their new vocalist of the time seemed devoid of that engagement which I remarked to my friend when I looked at Steve Howe and how “dead” he looked. It was a bit unnerving but I enjoyed the show nonetheless.

Also, I do quite like that album as well.
Well I see you are from Michigan, so we must have been at the same show haha. And yeah Jon Davidson is a great singer and seems to really love being in Yes. But I do agree about the rest of the band.
mickilennial

Poland

• Posted: 08/18/2015 19:51
  • Post subject:
AAL2014 wrote:
Well I see you are from Michigan, so we must have been at the same show haha. And yeah Jon Davidson is a great singer and seems to really love being in Yes. But I do agree about the rest of the band.

No shit? Man, I wonder if we were in the same row or whatever. Haha, small world.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 08/18/2015 19:54
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
No shit? Man, I wonder if we were in the same row or whatever. Haha, small world.

Well as I recall there weren't a shit ton of people at that show so maybe haha.
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 12/20/2016 20:43
  • Post subject:
The album that displaced Fragile as my favorite. Didn't think it was possible.
  • Visit poster's website